r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: If Bradford Goes No. 1, What's Next For Rams?

04.09.2010 2:10 pm
    If Bradford goes No. 1, what’s next for Rams?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: The Rams obviously found a gem in the second round of the draft last year with LB James Laurinaitis. Assuming the team selects Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick in a couple weeks, what position do you think they will pursue most aggressively in the second round?

BERNIE MIKLASZ
    They have so many needs it’s impossible to be specific about what they’ll take at the top of round two. Presuming the Rams will draft QB Sam Bradford with the 1st overall pick, they’ll be on the lookout for any number of positions with the first choice of the second round. It depends what’s there. They could go for a wideout, defensive end, tight end, guard, offensive tackle, cornerback, outside linebacker. Hell, they need everything.

JIM THOMAS
    The Rams have so many needs, at so many positions, they will have incredible flexibility at the top of the second. Whether it’s defensive end, defensive tackle, cornerback, linebacker or wide receiver, they should trust their board and take the best player available. But keep this in mind, too. With a full day between Rounds 1 and 2, the first pick of the second round will be highly coveted by teams re-stacking their board. This could be a prime opportunity to trade down and pick up extra picks in what’s shaping up as a deep draft in the middle rounds.

BILL COATS
    They could go for a number of positions in the second round; they have many holes to fill. If Mizzou linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is still available, he’d be a solid, and logical, choice. That would give the Rams a LB corps of Laurinaitis in the middle, Diggs on the strongside (presumably) and Weatherspoon on the weakside. Pretty solid, at least potentially.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: If Bradford Goes No. 1, What's Next Ror Rams?

Jermaine Gresham is a 1st round talent, if he's there snatch him up! if he's not there and Demaryius Thomas is there snatch him up! but if there's noone that we really want we should just trade down pick up maybe a first next year like the seahawks did.

ludairv is offline Registered User

jahvid best!!!! /// or Arrellious Benn //// Jermaine Gresham ///

npow81 is offline Registered User

I know its going to be difficult because there is probably going to be a guy or two that I really want to be a Ram at the top of round 2, but the best option seems to be a trade, and I have no doubt with the gap in days there's going to be plenty of trade suitors...I guess it comes down to how good the offer is.

shower beers is offline Registered User

As unfortunate as last year was, it put us in the best position for possibly one of the strongest draft classes in many years. No matter where we end up picking in the second round, there's sure to be plenty of talent to help restock the cupboard, so to speak. I'm looking forward to see how it pans out.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If we take Bradford with the #1 overall, I believe we will trade our #33 overall for more picks. The top pick of the 2nd rd is akin to a late 1st rounder. That, and the fact teams will practically have an extra day to re-stack their boards, will have the Rams' phone ringing off the hook.

The Rams have so many needs that dropping down a bit in rd 2 won't prevent them from getting a solid player. It now appears the possibility of trading the 1st overall pick is very slim, as there just aren't enough suitors that can really offer adequate value.

My feeling is there is about a ninety percent chance that it will not be the Rams selecting at the top of rd 2 if Bradford is our #1 pick ..

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If we draft a quarterback in round one, then I don't think we pursue any position "aggressively" in round 2. With any luck, there will be first round talent waiting for us at some position of need. I wouldn't assume that we're going to trade the pick, though. For one thing, if we're looking to trade back because we figure we can still get a good player later, odds are that other teams are thinking the same thing. There is also the issue of making it worth our while. Let's say that a guy like Jermaine Gresham is still on the board (I think he'll go in round one but just for the sake of argument), will an extra third round pick or something really be worth passing on him? A team would just about have to offer next year's first rounder for the deal to be good for us. That is unless a player is involved. I could see a player for pick trade involving Marshall or Haynesworth or some other disgruntled star.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Haynesworth is too old for me to make that trade. Marshall I would probably go ahead and do that one however. I'm also wondering why we're so keen to trade the 33rd however. People underestimate the power of an impact player versus the bargain player. Give me an excellent player over two good players. I want the guy who can be a difference maker, not two guys who just start.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: If Bradford Goes No. 1, What's Next For Rams?

Well if Rams draft QB Bradford #1.

I hope the Rams draft DE Carlos Dunlap with the second pick.

Then weapons with the third (TE Jimmy Graham or RB Ben Tate) and fourth (RB Deji Karim or TE Dennis Pitta) pick.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I will be very annoyed if the Rams do trade down but in the process miss out on some first round caliber talent. I would prefer to take a guy at the top of the second like we did with Laurinaitis.

Of course, that does depend on the deal we get from the trade, and who is available

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Jahvid Best i hope. He is amazing.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    Jahvid Best i hope. He is amazing.
    As much as we need a solid backup for SJ, I think we can get one later, and we have too many holes to fill to spend the 2nd on a backup. This year's second can easily be a starter, so we should use the 2nd to fill a position where we need a starter.

Why miss out on a starting caliber player so we can fill a backup position?

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

I pray everyday gresham drops to the second... i dont think he makes it past cinci tho...
    Im all for the rams waiting on a rb in the later rounds, rbs are a dime a dozen now anyways... pick up Mcknight or mcluster in the third either would be a good change up to action