r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Mark Ingram: Smokescreen Or Possible First-Round Pick?

Mark Ingram: Smokescreen or possible first-round pick?

BY ROGER HENSLEY STLtoday.com
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011

QUESTION: How much interest do you think the Rams really have in Alabama RB Mark Ingram? Is it just a draft smokescreen or are they really considering him as a possible successor to Steven Jackson?

JIM THOMAS

We wonít know for sure until April 28, and probably only if Julio Jones is gone by the time the Rams pick. The only way it would be a smokescreen is if theyíre trying to entice a team to trade up, which could be. I believe the Rams really like him; but saying that, I donít think they regard Ingram as the next Emmitt Smith.

BRYAN BURWELL

Itís hard to imagine that a team with so many other higher-priority needs would use the first-round pick on a running back, even one as talented as Ingram. With needs at wide receiver, linebacker and interior offensive line, it seems more likely that any Ingram conversation is a misdirection.

BILL COATS

I think their interest in Ingram is genuine Ė they donít seem deterred by his knee Ė but probably not in the first round. Thatís a high price to pay for a No. 2 back, at least for the next couple of years. And Ingram likely wonít be around when the Rams pick in Round 2. So, Iíd say his chances of winding up in St. Louis arenít good.

JEFF GORDON

The Rams have an epic deficiency at running back. The NFL seems to be awash in solid running back depth, yet the Rams still lack a second feature back and a viable third-down back. Their luck with fullback has been terrible as well. Given Jacksonís advancing age/mileage Ė and the league-wide trend toward RB tandems Ė they simply MUST add talent at this position in this draft. Ingram is the big name and itís interesting to see him fall into the second round in some drafts. Whether itís him or another back, the Rams must add RB talent.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Round Two: Mark Ingram: Smokescreen Or Possible First-Round Pick?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were legitimately interested in him, but hopefully they're just doing their due diligence in case they trade down or he slides into the second round.

I don't like the idea of just sitting @ 14 and using our first round pick on what is probably a luxury selection, given the other needs this team has. Nor do I think he's a Top 15 prospect in this class.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Where is the "smokescreen"? Apart from the fact that Ingram (along with 4 or 5 other RBs) visited Rams Park, I've seen no indication that Ingram is being considered as an option for the 14th pick.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Av, I guess it's because people initially mocked Ingram as high as 15, now people are saying he could go to us at 14...

I can't in good faith put him in the top 14 players in this draft, which means that pretty much no matter what, I'll be pissed off if we take him at 14.
    I believe!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

It seems most of the talk of Ingram has come from "analysts" from outside the Rams, but i don't think anyone inside teh organisation has ever talked about finding Jackson's replacement. I have only heard Devaney talking about getting someone to spell S-Jax, and you don't pick up a player to do that in the first round unless you are already a superbowl contending team. Which the Rams are not.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Ingram is not as bad as everybody is saying. He is a very talented player and a first rate guy. He could dramatically impact our team from day one by grounding out 4-5 yards when our offense stalls out playing a tougher team and we have seven straight in the beginning of the season. And that could relieve Jackson from having to carry the team all by himself when the passing game gets shut down. Ingram is a legit talent we can use.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I agree. Plus, Ingram can catch the ball out the backfield which could be huge w/McDaniels at the helm. I would be fine if we took Ingram, as long as Jones is off the board already.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Ingram is not as bad as everybody is saying. He is a very talented player and a first rate guy. He could dramatically impact our team from day one by grounding out 4-5 yards when our offense stalls out playing a tougher team and we have seven straight in the beginning of the season. And that could relieve Jackson from having to carry the team all by himself when the passing game gets shut down. Ingram is a legit talent we can use.
    I don't think Ingram is bad at all. If the Rams had a pick between #25 and #35, I would consider him. I just think he's not enough of a playmaker to consider at #14, and I don't see him lasting until #47.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    If Ingram turns out to be the next incarnation of Emmit Smith, some team will have themselves a steal. The odds of that actually happening though, are long. It will be interesting to see where he is selected. Some mocks even have him falling into round 2. I would rather the Rams get a third down type that can turn the corner in hurry - a guy with some speed and soft hands that can tire out defenses chasing him around. Rounds 2 through 4 will have some pretty good running backs available .. I can't wait for the 28th to roll around !!