Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

RUMOR: Long doesn't want to play in Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanball.com
    Long doesn't want to play in Miami?
    The News
    There is word circulating that offensive tackle Jake Long doesn't want to play for the Dolphins, according to FoxSports.com. The team holds the top pick, and continues to negotiate with him.

Our View
    Defensive lineman Chris Long would be the next highest rated player, but Miami reportedly isn't interested in him if they don't get Jake Long.

Just saw this on my iGoogle and had to post it. Maybe we won't even get the chance to get Gholston if this rumor is true. From other stories around the net, it seems to be him and Dorsey as the next two on the short list.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: RUMOR: Long doesn't want to play in Miami?

Interesting...I really hate the Eli Manning Syndrome. I guess some players aren't happy enough with being the first player taken in the draft.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Apparently this comes from foxsports' John Czarnecki....
    Quote Originally Posted by John Czarnecki
    The word on the street is that Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long doesn't want to play for the Dolphins, who continue to negotiate with him as the first overall draft choice. There's a special honor in being the first pick so Long's agents continue to talk.

Of course, there is a deadline to these contract talks and then the Dolphins will move onto the next person on their board. Apparently, it isn't Virginia's Chris Long.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

True enough beers, but if he doesn't want to play there, then fine by me. Especially since Chris isn't the next on the list. I'm sure Gholston'll be perfectly happy there, as he'll get to play a lot when the offense can't stay on the field.

Wolf is offline Registered User

Oh well...

As long as we get a pass rusher...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Oh well...

As long as we get a pass rusher...
    Exactly. Give us Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. No one out of that.

keith m. klink Guest

Who in thier right mind wouldn't want to go to miami ! And right now ! they have a new leader that will straiten up that team in an instant , and don't think this isn't all thought out by MIAMI . This could be the biggest mistake long could make . Does he really want to end up in ATLANTA or K.C.

but just as long as we get the best guy for us right now !
    he can fall to CHICAGO at #14 , i don't care . DEFENSE.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, I can certainly see why he wouldn't be thrilled about going to Miami. They don't have a quarterback, they don't have receivers, their top runningback will be trying to return from a serious injury, and their aging defense is undergoing a major overhaul. There were legitimate concerns the team would go winless last year, something no team has done in decades, and they're trying to play hardball on his contract? If I were him, I might be a little insulted. Sure, rookie contracts are ridiculous, but the bargaining tactic of "if you don't sign, we'll just get somebody else" isn't exactly going to make him feel needed or welcome. He might prefer a team like Kansas City that would absolutely love to have him, or he might prefer to go to a team with better chances of winning. The Dolphins haven't been good in a while, and they have a long ways to go to rebuild.

keith m. klink Guest

ITS about time a team took a stand on this stupid inflation of money and these guy's that think they deserve it before ever stepping on a field .

If i was MIAMI , I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING! someone won't ***** over being the #1 pick and sign a 50million $ and 25million G'ed instead of 60million and 30-35mil. G'ed .
    someone will say YES SIR, GIMME A PEN .

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Oh, come on, now. Jake, there's very little chance you're going to land yourself on a "winning" franchise. Chances are, you'll be one of the first pieces to that puzzle, especially on a team like Miami or Kansas City.

It's not exactly like he's Eli Manning with that sort of NFL pedigree, and demand to play elsewhere. This does nothing but hinder Jake Long's stock. I mean, if he doesn't want to play for a "losing" franchise, what does this suggest about his character? Obviously that he wants to win, but moreso, does it suggest that he cares more about his ability to win that his team's?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Oh, come on, now. Jake, there's very little chance you're going to land yourself on a "winning" franchise. Chances are, you'll be one of the first pieces to that puzzle, especially on a team like Miami or Kansas City.

There's a difference between "losing" franchises and "trainwreck" franchises, IMO. Miami is a "trainwreck" right now.

Bar-bq, even worse than that, he's trying to stonewall his way out of a Bill Parcells team. If I was ever going to pick a 1-15 team to be on, it'd be one managed by Parcells. You think they won't gain credibility within a few years? He's going to clear house and load it for a long playoff window. So why Jake doesn't want to go there, I don't know. I'd say it's got a better chance of any team in the top five other than maybe us, but we're pretty even.

Peoria, while it was a trainwreck, it has to instantly be upgraded due to Parcells being there. He's always made his teams legitimate.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Peoria, while it was a trainwreck, it has to instantly be upgraded due to Parcells being there. He's always made his teams legitimate.
    He's also been coaching those teams.

Regardless, this will be a team on the rise, but who can say when. We'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks. I have no problem believing Parcells will turn this team around, though.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My sources tell me that this rumor was started by... Chris Long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast