Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: RUMOR: Long doesn't want to play in Miami?

Who knows what the real story is here, but this is what Long said in an ESPN SportsNation chat a few weeks ago when asked if he thought he should be the first pick:

Well I have worked my whole life to get here, and done everything I can. I just have to keep working hard and if it happens it happens, but it does not matter if I get drafted number one or number twenty; I will love wherever I go. Now it is up to the teams, and we will see what happens when the draft gets here.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's not get "Chad Johnson for Torry Holt"ed over this. Remember, so far, all we have is Czarnecki's "word on the street".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

its probably something taken massively out of context

like an interview from over a year ago where someone asked Jake what team he wanted to play for and the answer WASNT the Dolphins. So thats been altered to meaning Jake Long doesnt want to play in Miami

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Let's not get "Chad Johnson for Torry Holt"ed over this. Remember, so far, all we have is Czarnecki's "word on the street".
    They never learn, HUb. You know that.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    They never learn, HUb. You know that.
    All too well, amigo.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My sources tell me that this rumor was started by... Chris Long.
    I think this rumor was probably started by Jake Long's agent - Tom Condon. Right now, it "appears" that the Dolphins/Parcells have all the leverage on negotiations.

However, Jake Long will get snatched at either #2(Rams) or #3(Falcons) so I don't think the Dolphins have near as much leverage against Jake Long as they would against Gholston - Gholston probably would drop to #6 overall(Jets) if he does not go to the Dolphins. Chris Long could go #2 to Rams, #4 to Raiders or #6 to Jets......so, Dolphins would have more leverage with Chris Long than Jake Long.

Every day that goes by that Jake is not signed and no negotiations have started with someone else gives Jake Long's agent-Tom Condon, more and more leverage.

For all the blustery talk of Parcells/Dolphins, I think they are intent on taking Jake Long and may pick him without a deal in place......we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by falconator
    For all the blustery talk of Parcells/Dolphins, I think they are intent on taking Jake Long and may pick him without a deal in place......we shall see...
    And that, my feathered friend, is the real question. Is Parcells smitten with Long or not? If so, then he and Condon are fully engaged in a high stakes game of chicken. Which one blinks first? I don't know, but that will be fun to watch.

However, if Parcells really does see 3 or 4 different guys as interchangeable for the Dolphins, then this is a genius move. Right a number on a piece of paper that is less than last year's number 1, throw it out there, and whichever one of the 3 or 4 to sign it first gets to be the #1 pick. That's simple genius.

Unfortunately, it's going to create all kinds of first round holdouts. Agents will be viewing the previous year's slot as the floor, but GMs will hold the #1 contract less the spot of the pick as the ceiling............and if this works, those numbers won't intersect.

Could be interesting.

Falconator Guest

And that, my feathered friend, is the real question. Is Parcells smitten with Long or not? If so, then he and Condon are fully engaged in a high stakes game of chicken. Which one blinks first? I don't know, but that will be fun to watch.

However, if Parcells really does see 3 or 4 different guys as interchangeable for the Dolphins, then this is a genius move. Right a number on a piece of paper that is less than last year's number 1, throw it out there, and whichever one of the 3 or 4 to sign it first gets to be the #1 pick. That's simple genius.

Unfortunately, it's going to create all kinds of first round holdouts. Agents will be viewing the previous year's slot as the floor, but GMs will hold the #1 contract less the spot of the pick as the ceiling............and if this works, those numbers won't intersect.

Could be interesting.
    very interesting - and annoying......I wish Parcells would "wrap it up" so we can find out what you guys/Rams will do at #2.........what your "gut instinct" on who Rams will take Hub? assuming Dolphins get Jake Long? then assuming Dolphins get Gholston?

Falconator Guest

it sounded like from the St. Louis Dispatch's beat writer(Jim Thomas?) that he is starting to think Glen Dorsey......wow, everybody has Rams taking Glen Dorsey now.......hmmmmmmm.........

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    it sounded like from the St. Louis Dispatch's beat writer(Jim Thomas?) that he is starting to think Glen Dorsey......wow, everybody has Rams taking Glen Dorsey now.......hmmmmmmm.........
    As we get closer to the draft, it is becoming more and more apparent to me at least, that the Rams have Jake Long and Glen Dorsey at the top of their board (and probably in that order). Other than a trade down I do not see the Rams passing on either of these players at this time.
    Question for you, Falconator: If both J. Long and G. Dorsey are gone before ya'll pick at #3, and assuming for the sake of discussion that all attempts to trade down fail, who do you want to take?

WHAT SAY YE?

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    As we get closer to the draft, it is becoming more and more apparent to me at least, that the Rams have Jake Long and Glen Dorsey at the top of their board (and probably in that order). Other than a trade down I do not see the Rams passing on either of these players at this time.
    Question for you, Falconator: If both J. Long and G. Dorsey are gone before ya'll pick at #3, and assuming for the sake of discussion that all attempts to trade down fail, who do you want to take?

WHAT SAY YE?
    wow.....that's a toughie RAMarkable. The "value" on the board screams "Chris Long" but the Falcons have John Abraham and the #8 overall pick from last year - Jamaal Anderson (who started all 16 games but zero sacks and was unimpressive). It will be very difficult for the Falcons to take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston since they took Jamaal. The next best value is, of course - Darren McFadden. The Falcons don't like his "character" with all the babymomma stuff and the two bar fights - plus Falcons paid big money for Michael Turner to carry the rock - so McFadden is out as well.

It pains me to say this but who I think the Falcons WILL take is probably Matt Ryan if both Jake and Glen are off the board. I am unconvinced that Matt Ryan is worth a "top 10" pick - much less the #3 overall pick.

Again, Falcons would probably like to trade down but - given your scenario they cannot - so they take Matt Ryan.

If I was the Falcons, I hate to do this, but gun-to-my-head, I might REACH(yes, hate saying that word) for Ryan Clady or Branden Albert. By far the Falcons #1 need is a legitimate stud left tackle. The good left tackles will be long-gone by mid first round. I know Albert played mostly offensive guard in college(have no idea why - he's HUGE) but most teams project Albert to left tackle.

I think the Falcons could get a QB like Brohm/Henne/Flacco with 2nd round pick(#34) or maybe trade like their #34 pick and #68 pick to move into bottom of 1st round and get the one they want(like if they "loved" Brohm). As much as I like Dorsey, if he's gone, Falcons can get a Dre Moore or Pat Sims in 2nd round and be OK.......But Falcons offensive line and QB are biggest needs and Falcons must fill these spots. I know the Falcons have looked hard at Albert, Clady and Otah......

I would rather "reach" for an offensive lineman than a QB - although none of them are worth #3 money..........that is why the Falcons could/would trade down in top 10 -maybe for less than what trade chart says. I might would trade down for 3rd rounder this year and 2nd rounder in 2009...

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    very interesting - and annoying......I wish Parcells would "wrap it up" so we can find out what you guys/Rams will do at #2.........what your "gut instinct" on who Rams will take Hub? assuming Dolphins get Jake Long? then assuming Dolphins get Gholston?
    I'd say the answer to either question is Chris Long. I know there's lots of noise about Jake Long and Dorsey being 1 and 2 on the big board, but I ain't buyin' it. There's a little too much noise about those picks for me to believe, know what I mean?

Falconator Guest

I'd say the answer to either question is Chris Long. I know there's lots of noise about Jake Long and Dorsey being 1 and 2 on the big board, but I ain't buyin' it. There's a little too much noise about those picks for me to believe, know what I mean?
    yeah, agreed........maybe Rams are really targeting Chris Long and are just being quiet on him. If true, then the last thing the Rams are going to do is even mention Chris Long's name - he is the "logical" selection to me. What is funny is neither the Dolphins or Rams are talking about Chris Long....very odd.

now Jim Thomas(StL Dispatch writer) and the guy from stlouisrams.com(name?) was on Path-to-the-Draft on NFL Network and he mostly mentions Jake Long and Glen Dorsey......

who knows?.........its "liar's season" in the NFL.....we will know in 10 days, 1 hour and 4 minutes.......

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think the reason why the Rams are saying Jake and Glenn is to get a team to trade up to them. They're most likely going to take Chris Long if he's available. They havent said much on him so they can keep him as their pick. If someone sees that the Rams are interested, they may wanna trade up and take him. And we don't want that. So we move down 1 or 2 places (which is what the Rams are hoping) to grab Chris Long or Vernon Gholston anyways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12