Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rumor Mill: Patterson Sliding?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Rumor Mill: Patterson Sliding?

Take this for what its worth:

Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks2hRT @LanceZierlein: According to league source, Cordarrelle Patterson may fall out of the 1st.> I've been hearing this a lot...
    Matt Miller@nfldraftscout58m
    Talk of Cordarrelle Patterson falling on draft day. Still my No. 1 WR and a player I'm confident will be an impact WR in his career.
    Assuming there's any truth to this, I hope the Rams are not among those who share the negative opinion of Patterson.

While I know nothing about how he did in interviews, I know this: when you watch his highlight film you see moves that a guy his size has no business being able to make.
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and lostsoul like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Rumor Mill: Patterson Sliding?

Patterson falling to Round 2 and Austin a top 10 pick....seems like alot of hogwash....

Last year people didn't think 8 WRs would go ahead of Rueben Randle either....especially not Quick, Jenkins, and Broyles.....

I will continue my evaluation of talent and show my final grades and not believe all the smoke until there is actually fire....

From pick 23-32 there are 6 spots for WRs (potenially) --- WRs are important, and Patterson (as of today) is still cream of the crop
    lostsoul likes this.

You don't have to convince me. Patterson is the #2 player on my Final Rams Draft Board, and these rumors don't make me second guess that ranking.

Rambos is offline Registered User

To be honest I had him going in the top ten and did not want to torturer myself by watching a lot of his games.

Today I did spent some time watching some gmes. He's just unreal after the catch. He maybe raw, he may need a lot of work on his routes. But he never seems to go down by the first guy that makes contact. I was not sure we would have room for two raw guys, already having Quick but how could we pass on this guy.

He reminds me of Janoris Jenkins in that he just screams he is a special player when you watch him. He would be awesome as a KR.PR day one! He does a lot of the things that Austin would do for us without the potential for injuries.

I would take him at 16 no matter who is on the board. So keep the rumors coming!
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    viper and Randart like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He does a lot of the things that Austin would do for us without the potential for injuries.
    I thought I was done re-iterating but I guess not.

So let me just say and I re-iterate, that Cordarelle Patterson has just as much potential for injury as Tavon Austin.

They both play football, they both have the potential.

And though I've not looked it up for the record, I'd say there's a pretty good chance Patterson's been injured more than Austin, seeing as though Tavon has never even missed a practice due to injury.

I don't know why people continue to dismiss that fact.
    SWFCRAM and C-Mob 71 like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

They are just worried about his lack of bulk and size Fort, after DA and some other injury issues this franchise has faced in the not too distant past. We are all a bit gun shy and hope for the best for good health and players that can avoid injury as much as possiable. I admit I favor Patterson as well, but I see why many love Tavon. He is exciting with the ball and makes plays seems smart and dedicated. Would love to hear what Les and Jeff think of these two guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I thought I was done re-iterating but I guess not.

So let me just say and I re-iterate, that Cordarelle Patterson has just as much potential for injury as Tavon Austin.

They both play football, they both have the potential.

And though I've not looked it up for the record, I'd say there's a pretty good chance Patterson's been injured more than Austin, seeing as though Tavon has never even missed a practice due to injury.

If you want to say all players can get hurt on any play I agree. But if you are saying size and the position a player, plays in the game does not matter then I strongly disagree.

The NFL would also disagree with you. They changed the kickoff rule by moving the kick off up so less kickoffs would take place. Due to injuries, now they they are considering this proposal after gathering data and trying to make the game safer.

This idea was recently considered.

Some people would say let's move the kickoff line forward even further," Anderson said. "Another suggestion would be to put weight limitations on the people who can run down on the kickoff play. The theory being that lighter-weight guys colliding will be less detrimental than heavier-weight guys colliding with smaller-weighted guys.

Coaches will have input on proposed changes, but the vote of 24 owners are needed to pass a rule change.

If you are unwilling to acknowledged basic physics then I guess you will not agree.

Again I'm not saying that Patterson will not get hurt, I'm saying smaller/lighter players are at more risk to get injured as they are get hit buy much bigger guys.

He has yet to play with the big boys right? He will be facing bigger and faster guys week in and week out. Everyone in the NFL runs you down just ask RG3.

Against the Rams in week two we set the tempo for what he would face in the NFL.

''I remember one play,'' the Washington Redskins quarterback said. ''After the play, the guy said: `We're going to hit you every play.'

He is now rehabbing and is strongly being advised to slide.

The NFL is far more violent then college football IMO. These guys play for money.

I have not read any facts from you to convince me that smaller players in the NFL are not any more susceptible to injuries compared to there larger peers. I don't see any 155 Lbs WR and there is a reason for that.

Back to the topic:
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    TekeRam and DE_Ramfan like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

One thing to consider with Patterson is that he is indeed described as a very raw prospect. With Quick still perceived as sharing that aspect of his game, does Fisher and co. feel comfortable lining up with a pair of raw receivers? It could turn out to be quite the gamble for an offense that struggled BEFORE they let their two biggest contributors walk away this off-season.
    mde8352gorams and berg8309 like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    One thing to consider with Patterson is that he is indeed described as a very raw prospect. With Quick still perceived as sharing that aspect of his game, does Fisher and co. feel comfortable lining up with a pair of raw receivers? It could turn out to be quite the gamble for an offense that struggled BEFORE they let their two biggest contributors walk away this off-season.
    This is my main concern with Patterson. With Quick already on the roster, I'm not sure we can use a top pick on another player who may be two years away from making a real contribution.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quick is a strong receiver that was raw coming from small DII school...don't compare the two.

Patterson played in SEC and has elite ATC ability. I don't think Patterson is raw at all....He may be better suited for the Z - role which would make Givens expendable or maybe start Patterson in slot with Cook rotational sets, etc.....

Patterson had 3 rushing TDs too, same as Austin....so he is versatile enough to play Z and slot...and maybe some X....Austin is RB/ slot only...

Patterson seemed to be a better weapon and his big plays will be bigger and more frequent....

I think a "raw" player is one that has more potential than they have shown. ie. Quick.

Patterson will make an immediate impact on game day....Just think the Oline upgrades with Long, Wells back and maybe a first rounder....give a tad more to Bradford and the WRs to go bananas.....

This off-season is gonna be a fun finish with more athletes being added to the roster..

I don't know why anyone would say he is raw....Sure he isn't Calvin, Fits, Julio, but he is ready will and able....especially a good fit for the the Rams....

A couple of points...

1. I don't think the advantage of Patterson's size over Austin's has anything to do with injuries. Rather, it has to do with (a) the ability to break tackles, and (b) the ability to fight for the ball over smaller DBs.

2. I'm not too concerned about Patterson's ability to contribute early. While his "route tree" may be small, he can return kicks and punts, run reverses, run screens and run deep patterns. The rest will come.
    THOLTFAN81 and richtree like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

You speak of Patterson as if he's an experienced college senior with 4 seasons of productivity. He spent one year in the SEC and excelled in a conference with tough defenses. Still, Patterson is most definitely raw. No one with one year of starting experience is fully developed. WRs in general have a big adjustment to the NFL. There is no reason to think that Patterson, with only one year of starting experience, is guaranteed to burst out the gate as an impact player. In addition, there has been some questioning of his ability to learn a playbook, which would also hinder his ability to get on the field immediately. I'm not saying don't draft him, but he is far from a slam dunk to make an impact in his first year. Also for some reason my enter key isn't working on the forum right now, which is why it's one big paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    A couple of points...

1. I don't think the advantage of Patterson's size over Austin's has anything to do with injuries. Rather, it has to do with (a) the ability to break tackles, and (b) the ability to fight for the ball over smaller DBs.
    I have to consider it. I would also think that Fisher and Les had the same concern about Amendola and in the end they went with the much bigger player in Cook.

I agree that Patterson would be a more physical receiver. He looks like a receiver until he has the ball in his hands. Then he looks like a special running back. I can't think of a receiver that has his size and speed but has moves like a running back.

25 carries for 308 yards for an average 12.3 yards.

It's what he does after the catch is where he is so impressive to me.

kman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    This is my main concern with Patterson. With Quick already on the roster, I'm not sure we can use a top pick on another player who may be two years away from making a real contribution.

I complelty agree, I really dont want another project at WR..I hope Austin is there @ 16..hes the only round 1 WR id like to see..otherwie, theres some 2nd rounders that can be just as good..

Ventesette is offline Registered User

I prefer Austin from what I've seen. As a Jets guy I may have soured a bit on guys being called "raw" after Stephen Hill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast