Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rumor Mill: Patterson Sliding?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Rumor Mill: Patterson Sliding?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    I prefer Austin from what I've seen. As a Jets guy I may have soured a bit on guys being called "raw" after Stephen Hill.
    I wouldn't give up on Hill, he's one year in and he's 21 years old. But he's exactly an example of what "raw" means, a WR who has the physical tools and talents, but will need time before he can produce in the NFL. The Jets knew when they selected Hill that he wouldn't factor into the offense much in his first year. Fans often get too caught up in immediate results, and forget that a lot of players have mediocre rookie years while they learn before taking off. Lack of success in year one does not mean you are a bust. That said, the reason I am hesitant on Patterson is not because I don't think he will ever succeed, it's that I think the Rams are not in a place to take a WR who needs significant time to develop before he can contribute when we don't yet know how ready Quick is to contribute. Or maybe the Rams do, I certainly don't.
    mde8352gorams and richtree like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

As I said in the Eddie Lacy thread, I don't think Patterson ranks that high with Jeff and Les. He will be a great WR for some team, I just don't think he's the best option for us right now. We need a pro-ready WR and Austin is likely to fill that role or K. Allen, injury aside. Patterson is a JUCO transfer with 1 year top level collegiate experience. I would even prefer Justin Hunter based on experience right now. Also Austin comes from a winning program and a good coach, that has to count for something.

Go Rams!

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    As I said in the Eddie Lacy thread, I don't think Patterson ranks that high with Jeff and Les. He will be a great WR for some team, I just don't think he's the best option for us right now. We need a pro-ready WR and Austin is likely to fill that role or K. Allen, injury aside. Patterson is a JUCO transfer with 1 year top level collegiate experience. I would even prefer Justin Hunter based on experience right now. Also Austin comes from a winning program and a good coach, that has to count for something.

Go Rams!
    While I cannot deny that Austin has a great degree of shiftiness that made him so elusive in the college ranks, I thought we- the Rams need a #1 receiver that lines up on the traditional outside WR spot. Im not going to deny that Austin can help us, but we have Cook and Givens to line up in the slots. One could argue that Cook might excel inn the slot by creating size mismatches vs safeties and speed mismatches with out of position LBs in coverage. For me, Id really like to see a true #1 WR with good height, speed, and weight there. Patterson has competed against well above SEC competition and excelled, as opposed to someone like Brian Quick, who has the physical tools but didn't compete at the d1 level, and may be missing some mental aptitude that is inhibiting his NFL skillset for some reason.

McRam is offline Registered User

I think Austin fits the bill for us better, but I wouldn't be disappointed with Patterson.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I just don't see any way this guy gets out of round one. Just look at Stephen Hill last year, and how much better Patterson is.
    Rambos likes this.
    Barry Waller

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ok, first off, jut to side track a bit to the Austin size thing... imagine that you're in a head on car wreck with Navarro Bowman, who happens to drive a Hummer H1. Now, Corradelle Peterson, he drives a nice, peppy Dodge Charger. Tavon Austin drives a supercharged Smart Car. Now, what guy would you rather be riding with? As Rambos said, it's not that one guy's physical health makes him less likely to be hurt than the other, it's just physics.

Now, onto Patterson. Givens had to play the Amendola role last year in a few games that he missed. Givens had a breakout game one of those times. I feel that he can slide inside and be a dangerous slot guy just as much as he was dangerous outside last year. That gives us flexability on the inside receivers along with Cook. We don't need a slot only guy, we need outside receivers. Peterson, Allen, Woods, Hunter, Patton... all these guys can play outside. These are whom we should target, and if Peterson is there at #16 and Cooper and Warmack are gone... Take Peterson.
    viper likes this.
    I believe!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I just don't see any way this guy gets out of round one. Just look at Stephen Hill last year, and how much better Patterson is.
    I agree he won't. This year's WR class is interesting because it doesn't seem as if anyone truly stands out from everyone else, they all have some potential weakness. My personal preference is just a more pro-ready player rather than one like Hill/Quick who may not play much their first year. At least for a first round pick.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I agree he won't. This year's WR class is interesting because it doesn't seem as if anyone truly stands out from everyone else, they all have some potential weakness. My personal preference is just a more pro-ready player rather than one like Hill/Quick who may not play much their first year. At least for a first round pick.
    Yes, yes, yes. My sentiments precisely. Have someone who comes with a solid college career that included top competition, good coaching, pro-type offense and an ability to make contested catches and things happen after the catch. I've already said many time Keenan Allen or Robert Woods would be my choices, but there are others too that fit those criteria.

Go Rams!
    TekeRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I see the comparison of Quick to Patterson. I was also concerned about having to raw guys to develop. After looking at it a bit harder there is a difference.

Patterson is more of a playmaker then Quick. Patterson from day one IF he struggles to learn the playbook and run precise routes. He is still capable of being productive with his running ability. Because he has skill-sets that Quick does not possess, like Kick and Punt returner. The ability to take a hand-off or end around. Screen passes or bubble screens. Those are the type of plays that Quick is not going to be used where Patterson can be very effective.

Patterson had 25 carries for 208 yards and 3 TDs. He had 4 punt returns for 101 yards and I TD and a long of 81 yards. He had 24 KR for 671 yards, 1 TD and a long of 98 yards.

Then you add in his RECEIVING stats. 778 yards, 16.9 yards per and 5 TD's and a long of 58 yards.

He had 1079 yards and 5 TDs by doing something other then receiving.

He did that in the SEC not in a lower division, we know he can play with the big boys and be productive.

Patterson maybe raw as a receiver and it may take him some time to fully develop. But immediately he can be a very productive player by just getting the ball in his hands any way you can.

No knock on Quick I think he is going to make a lot of plays for us, he just does not have the playmaking skill-sets like Patterson does.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Rambos, I think the key with Patterson is that he provides a different kind of weapon than Quick, in that Quick is more like TO or Brandon Marshall in that he's a big prototypical size guy, but isn't the shiftiest of guys. Patterson gives us some of that speed that Givens and Austin have, but in the frame of an outside receiver. I'd be satisfied with running a 3WR offense with Quick and Patterson outside with Givens inside. Givens plays the Z, but I think that he could do really well in the slot, and where we have issues is knowing we have guys who can play outside.
    I believe!

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I would prefer if the Ram's pick players in the first two rounds who can play now! Not next year.

I think we need to find out if Bradford is for real or not. Soon he will be up for new a contract. And I would hate to see him traded/not resigned based on a bad year in 2013. And then he becomes the second coming of Brady or Manning some place else with more talent around him.....

Therefore I think we must find him some help now. In my opinion we need to find at least one WR that can start now (maybe even two if Quick is not getting better) and ensure that the O-line is where it needs to be. I am also a little scared about our RB situation, but that might just be me missing SJ36 allready....

As I do not live in the US I have a hard time following the college games, but I really hope we go for somebody who is pro ready and not a development project. Who ever fits that bill is my first choice for our next WR pick.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Player

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has "open field instincts and movement" that cannot be taught, and that there are very few players Patterson's size with his kind of ability.
    Patterson checks in at 6-foot-2, 216. There's been chatter than Patterson's raw route-running ability may knock him out of the first round, but Cosell doesn't expect it to "dramatically affect his draft status." Along with West Virginia's Tavon Austin, Cosell calls Patterson a player who made him say "wow" while watching tape. "Believe me," Cosell wrote. "That does not happen too often."
    Source: Yahoo Sports
    Apr 12 - 1:32 PM
    I agree, he's a special runner with the ball in his hands.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

After seeing his highlights, his playmaking ability is jawdropping. Seeing him break those tackles and fight for extra yards reminds me of a WR version of Steven Jackson. His ability to gain chunks of yardage with the endaround is just unbelievable. He's convinced me of of taking consideration with one of our first rounders.

viper and clarasDK like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If you want to say all players can get hurt on any play I agree. But if you are saying size and the position a player, plays in the game does not matter then I strongly disagree.

The NFL would also disagree with you. They changed the kickoff rule by moving the kick off up so less kickoffs would take place. Due to injuries, now they they are considering this proposal after gathering data and trying to make the game safer.

This idea was recently considered.

If you are unwilling to acknowledged basic physics then I guess you will not agree.

Again I'm not saying that Patterson will not get hurt, I'm saying smaller/lighter players are at more risk to get injured as they are get hit buy much bigger guys.

He has yet to play with the big boys right? He will be facing bigger and faster guys week in and week out. Everyone in the NFL runs you down just ask RG3.

Against the Rams in week two we set the tempo for what he would face in the NFL.

''I remember one play,'' the Washington Redskins quarterback said. ''After the play, the guy said: `We're going to hit you every play.'

He is now rehabbing and is strongly being advised to slide.

The NFL is far more violent then college football IMO. These guys play for money.

I have not read any facts from you to convince me that smaller players in the NFL are not any more susceptible to injuries compared to there larger peers. I don't see any 155 Lbs WR and there is a reason for that.

Back to the topic:
    We will never agree because there are far too many variables to rely on your simple laws of physics.

Though Patterson is the larger man, who's to say that his threshold for pain is superior to Austin's? And who said being larger determines that?

Or who says that he has a superior ability to absorb a blow or better yet, avoid a blow.

There are an endless amount of variables that determine whether a player may be injured or not. So your simple laws of physics are not an exact science and therefore your theory is impossible to prove.

Being larger only gives you a little more cushion to absorb a blow, it doesn't necessarily give you a superior ability to absorb that blow and escape injury.

It may be that the smaller, quicker player avoids that hit altogether.

Besides that, I don't think anyone would argue that smaller targets are much more difficult to hit than larger ones.

So you're basic theory that Patterson, because he is larger, is less prone to injury is simply not true.

Finally, there is really only one fact that matters in this entire debate, and that is the fact that Tavon Austin](the actual subject in this discussion) has never missed so much as a practice in his football career due to injury.

If that doesn't convince you (at least about Tavon Austin), there's certainly no point in me wasting both of our time trying to convince you of something you obviously refuse to acknowledge.

P.S. I knew you would try to make this, "he hasn't played in the NFL yet" theme, but that would only mean something if I honestly believed you believed that players don't get injured in High School or College or without any kind of contact from an opposing player whatsoever.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    There are an endless amount of variables that determine whether a player may be injured or not. So your simple laws of physics are not an exact science and therefore your theory is impossible to prove.
    Um, yes, physics is an exact science. Specifically: p=mv.

Finally, there is really only one fact that matters in this entire debate, and that is the fact that Tavon Austin](the actual subject in this discussion) has never missed so much as a practice in his football career due to injury.
    Actually, the fact is that the discussion is about Peteron. Look at the thread title. But yes, he has not been injured against smaller, less athletic competition than he will see in the NFL.

If that doesn't convince you (at least about Tavon Austin), there's certainly no point in me wasting both of our time trying to convince you of something you obviously refuse to acknowledge.

P.S. I knew you would try to make this, "he hasn't played in the NFL yet" theme, but that would only mean something if I honestly believed you believed that players don't get injured in High School or College or without any kind of contact from an opposing player whatsoever.
    I fully acknowledge that Austin is a shifty guy. However, you seem to write off that he will be hit. And he will be hit hard. You also don't seem to admit that this past season he averaged 10.5 yards per touch. Against not great, non-NFL defenses. What do you think will happen when he plays against guys that can run almost as fast as him, but also pack an extra 40 pounds of weight? Again, I suggest you read the works of Sir Isaac Newton.

NFL players don't get hurt as much against the lower levels of competition because they usually are more athletic and bigger than the non-NFL talent. And so, no, I'm not impressed with Austin's ability to shifty out of hits from 190 pound guys when he will see only a handful of them in the NFL. If he was that super-humanly shifty, he'd have averaged far more than just 11.5 yards per catch last year.
    I believe!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast