Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rumours

PHAT-MONEY Guest

Re: Rumours

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    over-rated by some here. Thats why im in the Jake Long camp, though it's a lonely camp
    I have been saying i have wanted him for awhile, and i heard in here that there was talk of moving alex barron to Guard? don't know if that true or not. But if so, (and i don't know how affective he would be) that might mean we are drafting jake long.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    I have been saying i have wanted him for awhile, and i heard in here that there was talk of moving alex barron to Guard? don't know if that true or not. But if so, (and i don't know how affective he would be) that might mean we are drafting jake long.
    It's simply too early to make "that might mean we are drafting such and such a player" calls.

We've not been through free agency, nor the combine, and the Miami Dolphins are still on the clock at pick #1. Until all of these three hurdles are behind us, all we can do is speculate...and even then there'll be major confusion.

In other news, the Rams are drafting Chris Long

itsguud is offline Registered User

I think our OL is terrible and we need to stop moving O linemen around and start picking up some talent at their normal positions.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I think our OL is terrible and we need to stop moving O linemen around and start picking up some talent at their normal positions.
    I would agree that we certainly could use some more depth and maybe an upgrade here or there on the OL. But, we wouldn't be moving people around if we didn't have the injuries that we did this year. Even if we did bring in Jake Long or some other high profile talent on the OL, who's to say that they would get injured too. Then we're right back where we started. What we need is to get our guys healthy to get some stability back on the line. In the mean time we can be assessing the areas that would do the most to help the OL through free agence and the draft.

Dominating D Guest

However, I do not see how drafting ANOTHER OT will make us better when we have Pace and Barron unless you move someone or bench a large salary player?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    However, I do not see how drafting ANOTHER OT will make us better when we have Pace and Barron unless you move someone or bench a large salary player?
    This is where our problem is. The fact that people think that just because someone has a large salray they MUST start. Bennett has no place as a starter I don't care how much we pay him. OP I don't think will ever be the same. I would prefer to have a young guy come in and start playing with his guidence (as expensive as that guidence is) then keep relying on someone who cna't complete a season.

One mistake isn't corrected by another one. Overpaid players should not dictate our starting roster.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

This is where our problem is. The fact that people think that just because someone has a large salray they MUST start. Bennett has no place as a starter I don't care how much we pay him. OP I don't think will ever be the same. I would prefer to have a young guy come in and start playing with his guidence (as expensive as that guidence is) then keep relying on someone who cna't complete a season.

One mistake isn't corrected by another one. Overpaid players should not dictate our starting roster.
    There's a difference between paying somebody a large salary and then subsequently benching them because they're a bust; and paying somebody a large salary with the expectation that they ride the bench for 1 or more years. Unless that player is a young QB, the latter is probably not a good idea.

I agree that we shouldn't put somebody out on the field just because they make a large salary, but we should also try to avoid spending a huge chunk of our salary cap on backup players.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

What has Barron done to make him a lock for starter?

Also i agree Bennett is trash, i say trade him while teams still think he has some sort of value.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    What has Barron done to make him a lock for starter?

Also i agree Bennett is trash, i say trade him while teams still think he has some sort of value.
    What has he done that makes him not worth keeping. I have no problems with Barron. He's no Pace but he has been more than satifactory and versable. You may want to expect more from a 1st round pick but as a starting OT he is significant.

So why woud you want to bench him or draft another 1st round OT and bench him when this team could use another starter at another position. Maybe, with a few more good drafts the Rams can draft for depth and not need.

As far as I am concern Bennett has not had a fair shake and may prove the nay sayers wrong if Bennett can stay healthy and the OC utilizes his position strengths.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    What has he done that makes him not worth keeping. I have no problems with Barron. He's no Pace but he has been more than satifactory and versable. You may want to expect more from a 1st round pick but as a starting OT he is significant.

So why woud you want to bench him or draft another 1st round OT and bench him when this team could use another starter at another position. Maybe, with a few more good drafts the Rams can draft for depth and not need.

As far as I am concern Bennett has not had a fair shake and may prove the nay sayers wrong if Bennett can stay healthy and the OC utilizes his position strengths.
    Well thoughtout post, DD. Barron may be an enigma but let's not forget that he has never missed ANY games due to injury in his time as a Ram. After last years debacle this is truly significant. And the fact that he can play both sides of the ball makes him more valuable, imho, than Jake Long who still must answer the doubts that he can even play left OT in the NFL.

Also in regards to D. Bennett, I'm in agreement with your assertions. Look folks it is very easy to pile on Bennett for his less than stellar performance last year; but I would like to see how he responds after a year with Al Saunders and the new offensive schemes. I think we all might be pleasantly surprised.

WHAT SAY YE?

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Bennett dropped way to many balls that he should have caught, i don't care what system he is in or if he was used properly or not, if the ball is thrown to him he need to catch it.

I agree with Canadian. Bennett pulls down from balls (I will go find some vids for it) whenever he thinks a hit is coming. Nothing frustrates me more then that. Expecially when it turns into an inteception... 4 because of him pulling his hand down this year. I remember everyone of them. Bennett has to go. I think not playing "well" is in fact excusable. however not palying with guts and Heart is another thing.

As far as Barron is concerned. I never said anything about removing him. I don't even know how the topic got to him. I said OP = Orlando Pace, doesn't appear to be able to finish a season anymore... he is too injury prone. Once you get injured, it is very easy for it to happen again. Eitehr you place a lot more emphasis on another part of the body to overcompensate, or you reinjure the same thing. Thats where we need a new OT... and yes we need that now. We have no backup for OP. Barron is better on the right side and I think he should stay there and develop more in that position.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

What allot of you guys are forgetting is Al Saunders started of as a WR coach. He helped along current Ram greats like Torry Holt and Ike. I think he can do the same for Drew Bennett and younger guys we currently have or will pick up. Alot of guys were used in the wrong way under Linny even though Bennett did drop balls problems like that can be fixed through the coaching of Saunders and playcalling more suitable for him

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bennett pulls down from balls (I will go find some vids for it) whenever he thinks a hit is coming. Nothing frustrates me more then that. Expecially when it turns into an inteception... 4 because of him pulling his hand down this year. I remember everyone of them. Bennett has to go. I think not playing "well" is in fact excusable. however not palying with guts and Heart is another thing.
    I would agree that Bennett did not look confident, did not aggressively go after the passes that were thrown his way and was very mediocre, but I'm not ready to give up on him. He was rock solid with the Titans and he did show some flashes of why he was brought to St. Louis despite being banged up most of the year. I'm more than willing to see if he can get back to form in 2008.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12