Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randart

Thread: Running Back Crop Thin, but Not Bare

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Running Back Crop Thin, but Not Bare

It's a bad year for running backs, as far as finding a feature back, but not necesarily for a team like the Rams, looking for potential and a certain fit for a stable of backs. Those teams can get a guy in the mid to late draft, but they had better act quickly, if they identify a guy.

It's probably a good thing for the Rams ther aren't many first or even early second round backs, but there are a lot of prospects with certain skill sets that could help teams, and are available through round four at least.

Running backs, maybe more than any position, are scouted, and drafted mainly from size speed measurables and athleticism. Great productivity in college sometimes is a negative, if the "mileage" on a player seems high, and wear and tear has started to show on medical reports.

No one had Chris Johnson on their radar in 2007, and even after a spectacular 2008 season at East Carolina, he wasn't ranked as a first rounder. THEN he ran 4.24 at the combine, a record, and Jeff Fisher drafted him, despite having other highly drafted RB on the roster, guys who fit his big back offense better.

Johnson worked out, others who ran great forty times after being good backs, like Trung Canidate, did NOT., There is always a risk.

BUT, in the NFL, speed killls, and some backs have zoomed to the head of the weak class in March.

There still is little doubt that production guys like Eddie Lacey, and Montee Ball will go highest, but the Rams won't be looking at them probably, preferring other positions the firat two rounds.

I think, when they see some of the guys they can get and coach up, who fit what the Rams need, and Fisher loves, they will wait till round four or five, maybe three, to get a guy. I don't see it in any way being a 5-10 200 pound guy, because of what Richardson and Pead already offer.

They will look for guys who are physical, fast, and can pass block, not so much catch the ball, guys with good attitudes and work ethic, team guys willing to wait for their chances. Guys who play special teams, and like it.

Here are some guys I really see as good fits.

1. Knile Davis - Here is a guy who was a superstar in the Making at Arkansas until he missed all of 2011 with a broken ankle. If you go by that Sophomore season of 204-1322-13, and his absolutely phenominal Combine at 227lb . He's already been through all of what Marcus Lattimore still has to do for a couple years.

Davis is a very good blitz pickup guy, low mileage, great stamina and strength. He's clearly been working toward draft day for two years plus.

I see this guy shooting up draft boards, and he could be the steal of the draft. The Rams may have to go round three to get him, and he may be gone in late round two.

This is my guy, and I am hoping the Rams get a shot.

2. Christine Michael - There are off field risks, but Fisher is challenged by those, but at 5-10 220lb, this guy is a built like an NFL back, nd he can downright fly. He scored 12 TD on 88 rushes last year He hasn't been use as a receiver, and his blocking needs work, but the talent , upside, experience and low mileage are there. Amazing 43 inch vertical jump.

3. Zach Line SMU Poor man's Mike Alstott type who can block, catch and run. Very durable (Till a late toe injury)and hard working type late rounder. Doesn't have Alstott's speed or receiving ability

4. Cameron Marshall Highly productive back with good spped/size, who was one of best ever at ASU, yet not invited to the combine. Surely worth late round or Undrafted FA look

5. Stepfon Jefferson - Just hard to overlook a guy who rushed 375 times for 1883 and 24 scores PLUS 22 receptions in ONE YEAR.

6. Lonnie Pryor - Another big back and role player that fits well for a late rounder or UFA.

If the Rams don't get Austin or another KR early, they could also go for a RB/KR like Onterio MccAlebb, a flash of a player, but very light and skinny. he set the RB speed mark at this year's combine, with 4.34 official time.

Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Running Back Crop Thin, but Not Bare

Round 5,6, or 7 works for me. UDFA is even better to try and find a bigger back. Fisher already stated Pead will get his chance and Ganaway will see what he looks like in preseason not a ringing endorsement for the Sandwich Maker.

After watching Ganaway all year in practice seems Fisher would have a pretty good idea what he can do in a game.

Randart is offline Registered User

I still like Jon Franklin the most in this class even though he fits into some of what we may already have. He is very underrated as a all around back imho. Would love to see him a Ram having 3 guys gives us a better chance to keep one healthy and one really hitting on all cylinders.
    lostsoul likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Christine Michael is my top guy, but its Stepfan Taylor not Stepfan Jefferson...

THE DREAM TEAM