Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jmk321
  • 2 Post By Vinnie25
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: Ryan Swope/TJ Moe

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Ryan Swope/TJ Moe

With the departure of Danny Amendola being a very likely possibility, many people want to draft Tavon Austin in the first round to be his replacement. I wouldn't have any problem with the Rams drafting Austin because he would be an upgrade over DA with his elite speed and quickness but I can't be the only person who feels a little uncomfortable spending a first round pick on a 5' 8" slot receiver.

Another option would be to draft either Ryan Swope or TJ Moe. Ryan Swope and TJ Moe are slot receivers who have similar size, combine numbers and college production as Wes Welker and DA and could provide good value in later rounds. Swope doesn't have Austin's elite quickness and Moe lacks Austin's breakaway speed but both players have the talent necessary to succeed as an NFL slot receiver. If the Rams decide to take this route then they can save money on not overpaying for DA and could possibly use both first round picks on improving the o line.
    lostsoul likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Ryan Swope/TJ Moe

plenty of options in the draft...I have a feeling we will grab a couple WRs in draft and this off-season will have the Rams offense really cranked up

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Swope and Moe probably could be adequate slot reciervers, but Austtin would will 3 positions (kr/pr/wr). And we need an upgrade in all areas.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

The Rams need weapons, and there's no better weapon in this years draft than Tavon Austin. I know people have concerns about his size, but he has never missed a game due to injury and his body has withstood the punishment of over 500 career touches (receiving, rushing, punt and kick returns) without breaking down.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I love Swope, and if somehow we fail to draft Austin, he is certainly next in line as far as I'm concerned. Love his swagger, reminds me of a mini Gronkowski.

But make no mistake, if Austin is available at 22, I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't draft him.
    lostsoul likes this.

I would be happy with taking Austin at 22. He appears to be a rare talent with a combination of speed and quickness that no other receiver in the league currently has. He would also be a very fun player to root for. This is just another option for consideration that could make sense for the Rams going forward, especially with some mocks now projecting that the Bears will take Austin with the 20th pick.

Getting some combination of Warmack/Cooper and Johnson/Fluker while taking good value playmakers in later rounds and/or in FA could help turn one of the worst o-lines in the league into one of the best and could completely change what is possible for this offense. There are a lot of exciting possibilities of what could be done to help improve this offense and they don't all need to include Tavon Austin.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not touching Ryan Swope until round 5. And I'm not even going to think about drafting T.J Moe. So, there is that.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Swope will go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Moe could go in the 6th or 7th or maybe UDFA.

Both had a good Combine, and Moe has always reminded me of Amendola, a little. So either could be adequate replacement, but I don't know that either is the "playmaker" that Fishnead might be looking for.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'm not too excited about either one of these guys, the point of the draft is to get better and I personally don't see either one of these guys making our team significantly better. I think Quick, Givens, and even Pettis are all better players than Swope or Moe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I'm not too excited about either one of these guys, the point of the draft is to get better and I personally don't see either one of these guys making our team significantly better. I think Quick, Givens, and even Pettis are all better players than Swope or Moe.
    But you do understand the Rams have numerous picks that aren't in the 1st or 2nd round, though? There are going to be draftees that are not as good as other players already on the roster.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But you do understand the Rams have numerous picks that aren't in the 1st or 2nd round, though? There are going to be draftees that are not as good as other players already on the roster.
    True, but if the Rams get a WR in the 1st or 2nd round (which I think they will), I don't see them getting another WR until the last couple rounds; I think both Swope and Moe would most likely be gone by then

True, but if the Rams get a WR in the 1st or 2nd round (which I think they will), I don't see them getting another WR until the last couple rounds; I think both Swope and Moe would most likely be gone by then
    Fair enough.

Depending on how FA turns out and what BPA is on the board, I'm not as sold that the Rams will use one of their top 3 picks on WR. But under your scenario, I totally agree.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure we can enough competition at WR. We always seem to run out of WRs during the season.

Moe and Swope have different skill sets than those players. The slot receiver who can get open quickly in a short space and move the chains is becoming a valuable player in the league. Having someone who can make 3rd down catches and keep our offense on the field can really help the offense and is worth taking a look at. Welker and Amendola both went undrafted and both have become very important NFL players and I feel that one of these players could replace DA's spot on the team with a late round value pick.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

No thank you, on the sense that these two guy's could not give us what a healthy Danny Amendola can bring to the table. Pettis, on the other hand, can match or surpass DA's production based on the strides he's made through the years. If we draft a guy like Austin in the first round, I believe he could surely make big contributions on talent alone the way Givens did for us last year. We already have mid-tier WR depth, we need guys that are going to score today.