Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Ryan's Realistic Off-season Mock

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

Ryan's Realistic Off-season Mock

kinda new to this so be critical so i learn what im doing wrong and can fix it for later mocks

First off, i think the big question we have this off season is exactly what does Jeff Fisher think he has in Roger Saffold and this offensive line. Is Saffold a LT we can use for the viable future to keep Sam on his feet? is he more suited for the Right side? if so where does Jason Smith go? face it, the Oline is a mess right now, and not only are there questions about Saffolds proper placement and if JS will even be on the team, but also questions at Center as well. Can we afford to get rid of Jason Brown? wheres the depth at if we do?

i think everyone wants a quick fix offseason and be the 9ers of this past year but its just not gonna happen if we just pickup wide receivers and a couple corners. So below is my Mock Off-season. It might not be glamorous or full of high price high name guys, but i think its a start in the right direction.

Notable Cuts: LG Jacob Bell(too Small)/RT Jason Smith(too Expensive, too many injuries, bust)/CB Ron Bartell(injuries)/DT Fred Robbins(too old)/WR Mark Clayton(injuries)/CB Justin King(He just sucks)

Free Agency: we sign Cortland Finnegan, Jason Jones and Albert Haynesworth (ya....i said it) but thats pretty much it. 1. we wont have a lot of money to spend even if we cut the for-mentioned players and restructure certain peoples contracts, and 2. this isnt exactly Green Bay or New England here so its not really an attractive job. But hey, if they can pull off signing a WR like Colston it would be fantastic, just highly unrealistic.

Draft: we trade with the browns and at 1.4 select LT Riley Rieff and then select C Peter Konz with 1.22. OLB Zach Brown at 2.33 and in the 3.66 round pickup RB LaMichael James if he is available if not than hopefully a guy like OLB Audie Cole will be there and that way we'd have our LB core set but for the mock ill just stick with James. In this scenario we shore up the Offensive line with LT Rieff, LG Brown, C Konz, RG Dahl, and RT Saffold. we have either 2 monster OLBs to go alongside Laurinaitis or just Zach Brown and provide a spark in the backfield with James to spell Jackson. rounds 4-7 can provide Dline and Secondary Depth. (DT, S, CB)

i understand WR wasnt addressed, but think about it for a second. would you rather us run the ball consistently and effectively with Sam on his feet making quick smart throws, or have amazing receivers getting open but with a swiss cheese offensive line getting our QB killed before he can make the throw? remember that we have a very good QB that just needs time in the pocket to be effective. my scenario will offer that to him.

this mock covers 2 areas that were very poor this past season: Offensive line play (Sacks, QB hurries, etc.), and run defense. i think these 2 areas were the worst parts of our team so i focused on improving them. there's no way you can cover everything in one off-season but i think if you cover your most pressing needs 1st you can then build upon it.

were still a few years away. lets be patient and do the smart thing here.

QB Bradford/Clemens
    RB Jackson/James/Cadillac
    FB Miller
    LT Rieff/Levoir
    LG Brown/Hughes
    C Konz/Wragge
    RG Dahl/Mattison/Hughes
    RT Saffold/Goldberg/Hughes
    WR Lloyd/DX/Amendola/Salas/Gibson/Pettis/Curry

MLB Laurinaitis/Hull
    LOLB Chamberlain/Poppinga or Cole
    ROLB Brown/Poppinga
    RE Quinn/Ah You
    LE Long/Sims
    DT Jones/Haynesworth/Bannan/Gibson/Ryan
    CB Finnegan/Fletcher/Murphy/Gordy/Hood/Smith
    FS Mikell/Johnson
    SS Stewart/Dahl

Go Rams!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Ryan's Realistic Off-season Mock

So were resigning Lloyd then in FA? He'll be looking for a nice contract. He also might bolt to the Cheatriots. Im hoping we sign him though.

I like how you upgrade both sides of the lines and get us a nice RB. But i still think we need to draft a WR. And i think after how Rieff performed at the combine(33 1/4 arms, 23 resp of 225) he wont be going at #4.

Welcome to the Clan btw

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFoster View Post
    CB Justin King(He just sucks)

WR Lloyd/DX/Amendola/Salas/Gibson/Pettis/Curry

Go Rams!
    Amen to Justin King sucking!!

And keep the same WR's we had last year? Select Rieff over Blackmon at 1.4??? Are you crazy? lol
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Welcome to the Clan btw
    ditto on this Mr Tampa

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I love the Peter Konz pick, if we end up with two 1st then I hope that is how it happens. But I think it should be 1.4 Blackmon then 1.22 Konz. The guy is a beast, a complete mauler type. I really like the James pick in the third round, great duo with speed(James) and power(Sjax)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams go into next season without a serious upgrade at WR (whether or not they re-sign Lloyd), it will be a Greek Tragedy.

Also, how does Reiff make sense with the 4th pick. If the QBs go 1 and 2, and Kalil goes at #3, you're telling me you'd take Reiff over Blackmon, Claiborne and Richardson? Seriously?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 and San Diego Ram like this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

RyanFoster,

Several comments:

1.) Rieff had a pretty pedestrian (re poor) combine; at least if he was considering going in the top 10 of this draft. He is no longer on my radar for the Rams for the LOT job.

2.) um...7 WRs? Just cut Gibson and be done with him. Also, it is going to be hard to resign Brandon Lloyd for the same reasons you mentioned for any other WR like Colston.

3.) Ryan at DT? If you are referring to Cliff Ryan he has not been on the squad for like 2 years now....

4.) "Justin King (He just sucks)"...lol

Overall pretty decent job but I've got to agree with Av that no way do I pass on a Claiborne or Blackmon at #4. These two have too much value to pass on at that point.

P.S. BTW welcome to the Clan!!

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

thanks for the imput and the warm welcome. I hope they can bring in a WR i just dont see where they can do it. and on Jason Smith On Rams giving Jason Smith a chance - NFC West Blog - ESPN Sando has written a nice article explaining why Jeff Fisher is going to keep him.

Also I was thinking about Cliff Ryan (dont know why i still thought he was on the team but next time i do this ill verify that i actually have active Ram players lol.