39thebeast is offline Registered User

Safety officially a big need

OJ brings alot of leadership to the team, but lets face it in Spags defense he simply hasn't made as many plays as he used to and he is 30 years old. This is the first and probably the last time he will be able to secure a lucrative long term deal and I don't know if the young Rams will want to give that to a 30 year old.

2 interesting young talents to look at are Michael Huff of the Oakland Raiders or Quinton Carter of the Oklahoma Sooners. Both are versatile safeties which is essential in Spags system.

I like huff who finally lived up to his lofty draft status recording 94 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 ints, and 3 forced fumbles.

Carter a round 2 option another versatile safety with great intagibles really involved in the community. Big hitter good in coverage can do it all and could eventually replace OJ as the leader in the secondary

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Safety officially a big need

Atogwe hasn't been making as many plays because QBs won't throw at him, not because he has declined. There is a major difference.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Negative!
    PR, I know you love O.J. but he has simply not made the grade overall & has been a liability in the passing game and in run support. Its time to move on especially when he wants a deal that does not justify what he brings to the table. As I suggested earlier, I would consider moving him to SS due to his lack of production and seeming decline in play.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    As I suggested earlier, I would consider moving him to SS due to his lack of production and seeming decline in play.
    Quoting Howard Balzer from a 101ESPN write-up: "Atogwe's skills are best-suited as a ball-hawking free safety. He hasn't had as many opportunities the last two seasons because at times he's lined up as a strong safety, depending on the defensive call. A team's defensive system could play a role in the decision he makes."

I don't think a permanent move to strong safety is going to improve matters. It really doesn't fit his style of play. He's much better as a coverage free safety; IMO he lacks the physicality and consistency as a tackler to succeed at the strong safety spot.

OJ didn't have a great year in terms of matching career numbers or anything, but he did finish fourth on the team in tackles and second in interceptions. He also forced as many fumbles as anyone in our secondary this season. Atogwe had arguably his two best years under Haslett here in St. Louis, so I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Washington, as they seem to be showing interest.

richtree is offline Registered User

Will Hill would fit nicely as a 3rd round Draft Pick

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Negative!
    PR, I know you love O.J. but he has simply not made the grade overall & has been a liability in the passing game and in run support. Its time to move on especially when he wants a deal that does not justify what he brings to the table. As I suggested earlier, I would consider moving him to SS due to his lack of production and seeming decline in play.
    Neither has Craig Dahl or any other of our safeties by that standard, but that doesn't seem to be prompting a purge. If numbers are your concern, maybe we could replace the merely "statistically elite" Ron Bartell with an actually elite corner and then QBs will have less choice on who to throw at. Or get a better strong safety than James Butler or Dahl out there. The latter shouldn't be too hard, mind you.

Now we have to replace both safeties or else our supposedly lock down defense is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree by anybody who can throw within 2 yards of a wideout.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    he did finish fourth on the team in tackles and second in interceptions. He also forced as many fumbles as anyone in our secondary this season.
    I'd love to have my SS have these types of numbers, and let's remember there is a reason that he was playing SS and not FS for us recently (he sucks in pass coverage, especially when it comes to man 2 man coverage). All the more reason to move him to SS, that is if he were to return to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Neither has Craig Dahl or any other of our safeties by that standard, but that doesn't seem to be prompting a purge. If numbers are your concern, maybe we could replace the merely "statistically elite" Ron Bartell with an actually elite corner and then QBs will have less choice on who to throw at. Or get a better strong safety than James Butler or Dahl out there. The latter shouldn't be too hard, mind you.

Now we have to replace both safeties or else our supposedly lock down defense is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree by anybody who can throw within 2 yards of a wideout.
    Well there is no need to 'purge" the other guys simply b/c they are not making as much money as O.J. was getting and/or trying to get. And there is still plenty of time to make a room, so let's not prophecy that we will get "lit up like a CHRISTmas tree" just yet.

PaRamFan85 is offline Registered User

I personally liked OJ a lot. He was a good player and a team leader. The reason he didnt look great statistically this year is because he spent a lot of his time this year blitzing. He didnt have the luxury of being able to sit back and ball hawk because he was being used to blitz or stuff the run. I think he played well considering what was asked of him last year and would love to see him back. We have 2 many holes to fill right now to be creating another one that doesnt need to be made.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Provided there is a FA period, I think the Rams would be wise to try and get at least one safety. Guys that are scheduled to become FAs that could come without breaking the bank and I wouldn't mind seeing in horns are Michael Huff, Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson.

richtree is offline Registered User

Bottom line is we need to get 2 starters in Free Agency....Obviously, everyone wants a WR like Sidney Rice.

The first four rounds of the draft will have starters for us. We need six or 7 to fill out our roster.

FS, SS, OLB, DE/DT, WR, RB#2, G........I just can't wait .....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd love to have my SS have these types of numbers, and let's remember there is a reason that he was playing SS and not FS for us recently (he sucks in pass coverage, especially when it comes to man 2 man coverage). All the more reason to move him to SS, that is if he were to return to the team.
    I'm sorry, but you've completely lost me. Earlier you claimed Atogwe's production was down and he was declining, but now you're saying you'd love his 2010 production out of a strong safety. So which is it? Also, you criticize his man to man coverage skills, but that's exactly what he'd be playing against tight ends and running backs out of the backfield if he moved to strong safety. If there's a legitimate case to make for moving him to strong safety, it hasn't yet reached this thread.