rob6465 is offline Registered User

Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for what?

Saw an article about bears asking about Atogwe. Would you trade him? If so, for what? Bears will have either 10th or 11th pick.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for what?

Eric Berry will be gone by that point in the first, so I say no deal.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rob6465 View Post
    Saw an article about bears asking about Atogwe. Would you trade him? If so, for what? Bears will have either 10th or 11th pick.
    Please feel free to copy and paste the article here so that we can see if it was simply a beat writer speculating on a possible move or a report regarding legitimate interest.

As for the hypothetical, the Bears don't have a pick until the third round. They traded their first round pick for Cutler and their second round pick for the late Gaines Adams. And there's no way I'd part with Atogwe for a mere third round pick, so I don't think the chances of a Rams/Bears trade is good.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Never mind. I didn't realize Atogwe would be a RFA if the league doesn't get a deal signed.
    Last edited by Rambunctious; -02-12-2010 at 11:06 PM.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Please feel free to copy and paste the article here so that we can see if it was simply a beat writer speculating on a possible move or a report regarding legitimate interest.

As for the hypothetical, the Bears don't have a pick until the third round. They traded their first round pick for Cutler and their second round pick for the late Gaines Adams. And there's no way I'd part with Atogwe for a mere third round pick, so I don't think the chances of a Rams/Bears trade is good.
    Sorry my fault. Seems writer is a writer for blog report.

2010 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills Should Trade Up for Suh or McCoy
    by Robert Quinn
    Donald Miralle/Getty Images

The Buffalo Bills are in an interesting predicament this off season, and with the No. 9 overall pick in this year's NFL Draft would it make sense to trade up?

With the transition to a 3-4 defensive scheme for the upcoming year, Buffalo is at a loss for a true Defensive Tackle. Most mock drafts have the Bills taking a LT or a QB with the first pick.

Ndamukoing Suh has been highly regarded fro the past season as the best overall Player in the NCAA, and would be the No. 1 overall pick.

The St. Louis Rams are in a similar situation to the Bills, and are also in need of a QB. The Bills could trade up in the draft, allowing the Rams to draft their QB, and at a much lower price.

Buffalo would have to give up a couple of players with this deal, but the surplus in the secondary could be of need for the dismal Rams, who are reportedly in trade talks with the Chicago Bears regarding Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

By trading the No.9 pick and one of our many defensive backs, as well as a future draft pick, Buffalo may be able to acquire a top pick.

Why?

The past several drafts the Bills have flopped with the exception of a slim few who are decent. Each year the team has drafted based on needs, drafting JP Losman when the team was in need of a quarterback, Marshawn Lynch when McGahee wanted out, John McCargo when they didn't have a defensive tackle, the list goes on.

Why not make a move based on talent, over need?
    Last edited by Nick; -02-13-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Can't post the link, that's why I said copy and paste the article...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I doubt Bradford would be at #9 if we did a trade with the Bills. It'd have to be a great deal...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

well if the Bills want to move from 9th to the number 1 overall spot i would have to include at least a player like DT Kyle Williams or FS Jairus Byrd

rammiser is offline Registered User

I know this is just a blog but why would we trade away our best defensive player? Only to create yet another hole to fill on this team. Don't we have enough holes already? If we trade O.J. away there is no guarantee we will get even close to the kind of player he is in return via the draft or trade. To me it makes no sense to trade him away.
    Just Fix It

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

PFT did a blurb saying the Rams don't intend to use a franchise tag at all, and rather just tender OJ at the highest RFA tender...something like 6.97 million I believe. If a team wants him bad enough, they have to match that offer and then give a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2010 10:19 AM ET
    In 2009, the Rams applied the franchise tag to safety Oshiomogho Atogwe. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams most likely won't use the tag on Atogwe or anyone else in 2010.

Since Atogwe doesn't have six years of service, he'll be only a restricted free agent, making the Rams able to keep his rights without using the franchise tag again.

But if the Rams apply any of the RFA tenders to Atogwe (except for the lowest level, which gives only a right of first refusal), they'll pay him nearly as much as they would have paid him if they had used the franchise tag.

Under the CBA, Atogwe will receive 110 percent of his 2009 salary, if the Rams apply any of the tenders that carry compensation. And, as we explained last year at this time regarding the long-term status of then-Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, Atogwe's salary under a restricted free agent tender will be fully guaranteed, since his salary in 2009 was fully guaranteed.

He made $6.34 million in 2009. As a franchise player in 2010, he'd make $7.608 million. As a restricted free agent, he'll make $6.974 million.

The only difference is that, under the franchise tag, the Rams would be entitled to two first-round picks instead of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, if Atogwe gets a long-term offer the Rams don't match. But it's highly unlikely, in our view, that anyone would give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick for Atogwe or most other safeties not named Polamalu.

So the smart move for the Rams is to apply the highest RFA tender, assuming they're prepared to pay him $6.974 million guaranteed in 2010.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-14-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Editing out the links