Thread: Sam Bradford

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford

I'd like to note what WalterFootball has these negatives for Sam Bradford:

# Weaknesses:
    1 Toughness really hasn't been tested at this point in his career; never seen pass rush
    2 Arm strength is good, but he will struggle to fit ball in tight windows if he doesn't make very quick decisions
    3 We really do not know if he can make throws on the run yet
    4 Doesn't make any jaw-dropping throws
    5 Doesn't have Stafford/Sanchez level of upside
    6 Is never really forced out of pocket

So basically the weaknesses are that he
    1. doesn't take enough sacks.
    2 & 4. He doesn't throw into double and triple coverage enough to prove he has elite arm strength.
    3 & 6. He gets rid of the ball so fast that he doesn't have to scramble enough to prove that he can. (literally his speed of delivery is now a negative)
    5. Doesn't have the upside of Stafford's 54% completion %, 6TDs to 12 INTS and 59 passer rating. Note that the same guy said Sanchez had the same upside as Leinert but not the upside of Stafford. Are these insults or complements? The upside is more relative to arm strength than actually making good decisions and throwing an accurate pass I guess.

The horror this guy must be.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford

First of all Walter football isn't the best cite for player info. Some of the things are plain stupid and wrong.

1. Bradford not getting sacked has more to do with the system than anything
    2. He makes good decisions and his system he is smart enough not to make those throws
    3. He doesn't have to scramble alot, because he doesn't face alot of pressure because of a good line and he is always in the shotgun

First of all he was never ALWAYS in the shotgun. That's completely false because he ran much of the offense from under center. Talk about false information....

Secondly one of his greatest strengths is his quick delivery.

Lastly, what system is it that they run in Oklahoma that is such a dominant factor that sack totals are reduced so dramatically without the QB being a dominant factor?

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i don't know, most of those look pretty negative to me. i've seen bulger and boller take a whole lot of pressure this year, and been forced to move out of the pocket and make throws on the run, and have taken plenty of hard hits for their efforts. if those things are all question marks, it's a problem.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    First of all he was never ALWAYS in the shotgun. That's completely false because he ran much of the offense from under center. Talk about false information....

Secondly one of his greatest strengths is his quick delivery.

Lastly, what system is it that they run in Oklahoma that is such a dominant factor that sack totals are reduced so dramatically without the QB being a dominant factor?
    He plays in a spread offense, which means that most of the pass plays he executes is out of shotgun. This requires less footwork, gives less chance of a sack, and this helps him with his quick delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    He plays in a spread offense, which means that most of the pass plays he executes is out of shotgun. This requires less footwork, gives less chance of a sack, and this helps him with his quick delivery.
    If that's the case, why does Garcia have 32 sacks at South Carolina, Jacoby Harris 27, Todd Reesing 24, Tebow 23, Juice Williams 22, Mallett 21?

Then explain why McCoy has 16, Gabbert w/ a sprained ankle 14 and LeFevour has only 12. Maybe it's something along the lines of ability to move, speed of release and speed of execution instead of just being a "system" explanation. Saying it's the system is a lazy analysis.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If that's the case, why does Garcia have 32 sacks at South Carolina, Jacoby Harris 27, Todd Reesing 24, Tebow 23, Juice Williams 22, Mallett 21?

Then explain why McCoy has 16, Gabbert w/ a sprained ankle 14 and LeFevour has only 12. Maybe it's something along the lines of ability to move, speed of release and speed of execution instead of just being a "system" explanation. Saying it's the system is a lazy analysis.

Of course if you play out of the shotgun, you're still going to get sacked. It doesn't give you an invisible force field. If you get sacked out of shotgun, it means:

Your footwork is bad/inability to escape pass rushers
    No open receivers/bad talent
    Inability to make reads/inability to read the defense
    Bad playcalling/Inexperience running the offense
    Offensive line sucks/O-line blocked poorly

See a resemblance? It resembles the exact same problems you would have if you played under center.

So...playing out of shotgun is like playing under center, except that you have less chance to get sacked. Why? Like I said above, it requires less footwork, and it buys you a bit more initial time, and it gives you the opportunity for a quicker release. But that doesn't mean spread offense QB's won't get sacked. A lot of colleges use spread offenses, that's why their QB's generally have a hard time getting used to the NFL.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Duke Robinson, Trent Williams, Phil Loadholt were all All Americans. System and an elite line gave him alot of help. When you spend most of your time in the shotgun there is a little drop back or no dropback at all. That is one 1 to 3 seconds you are not getting under center.

I'm not saying I don't want Bradford or he stinks, that is not the case at all he is my second favorite QB. You have to question the majority of the time he spends in the shotgun. Going from a college spread where he is under center 95% or more to a power run scheme we run where he is under center most of the time is tough. There is alot to consider in that transition and that may be even more important in our analysis than his injury problems.

If he ran the offense routinely under center, do you possibly see how that's different than a guy who ALWAYS runs it from the shotgun? You see, he HAS proven he has the footwork to at least some extent. I see how you get confused though. You thought he ALWAYS ran from the shot and then you want your analysis to fit that mistake.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I believe one of the most important factors in any QB is their play while under pressure.
    Boy, their must be a few plays where he is under pressure and had to adlib.
    Walters Football must be one to miss.
    Ive never seen Sam Bradford play or any of the other top college QB's.
    Ive seen highlights on youtube of all the Qb's and to me Bradford looks rather good.
    His size concerned me a little, skinny man, but he reminded me a bit of P.Manning
    with his action. Arm strength looked fine also. Would definately like to see him play live
    to gauge him better. Out for year i think, injury prone ??
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -11-25-2009 at 07:44 AM.