Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sam Bradford is the true "Wild Card" for the Rams first choice.

Last year at about this time, I suggested that, by the time the draft rolled around, Mark Sanchez could be on the Rams short list of players to select with the second pick in the draft. Many scoffed and, truth be told, even I was a bit uncertain with my prognostication. Of course, in the end, Sanchez rose from late first round prospect and became a top 5 pick on the strength of his workouts and interviews.

I can see a similar scenario occurring with Sam Bradford.

Last year, before Bradford decided to return to Oklahoma, many had him rated as a potential first pick in the draft. Then, as fate would have it, his season was scuttled by a shoulder injury.

Now, he is still considered a top 10 pick by most, but there are question marks.

So here are the "what ifs."

What if the doctors say he is fine and that there should be no long term impact from his shoulder injury?

What if he impresses at the Combine and/or his individual workouts?

What if he presents as a confident leader in his interviews?

If these things happen, the Rams very well could decide that the time is now to take a chance at drafting a potential franchise QB.

If that occurs, there will still be decisions to make. The Rams could, of course, simply select Bradford first. Alternatively, they could smokescreen a desire to take Ndamukong Suh and try to trade down. The logical trade partner would be Tampa, who likely would covet Suh, and would not take QB with the first choice (having spent a first round pick last year on a QB). Such a plan would not be foolproof, though. If, as some have speculated, the Redskins want Bradford, they could trade up with Detroit and take him at #2, thereby leaving the Rams to take who? (G.McCoy? Clausen?).

I'll leave the trade issue out of the analysis for now and simply say this.

Right now, I see Suh as being a prospect who is extremely likely (say 75%) to be an impact player at a very important position.

Right now, I see Bradford as being a prospect who has a decent chance (say 40-50%) to be an impact player at the MOST important position.

With those odds, I go with Suh (absent a great trade offer).

But if Bradford's stock rises, and I start to see him as having a better than 50% chance of being a franchise QB... then the choice becomes very difficult.

Bottom line: we're in the first lap of a multi-lap race. Its way too early to call the winner.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford is the true "Wild Card" for the Rams first choice.

If indeed, your trade scenario pans out, Bradford is gone and we're at the number 3 pick, it's not the end of the world. We'll take McCoy, a great prospect in his own, and still have multiple 2nd or 3rd round picks(whatever the trade would be for) to boot.

I agree that it's way to early to tell though. This should make for one interesting off season though!

richtree is offline Registered User

I personally think the distant between Bradford and Pike is short...

Bradford ---- Pike

Suh ---------------------------------------------------2nd Round DT

I don't think it would surprise anyone if Pike, LeFevour, and some of the other QB's have better NFL careers.

I don't think any 2nd Round DT will have a career like Suh.

So, to answer the Bradford question presented he must have the best combine of all the QB's for us to consider him round 1, especially with Claussen not there.

Secondly, he must have a better comine than Sanchez did last year or equally as impressive. I really don't think this is possible because Sanchez was phyically more mature. Bradford was frail to begin with and now his rehap will hinder his conditioning for sure.

I do agree that he is a wildcard and its defintely too early. Bradford's "old school" style of play makes him hard to figure out.

If Bradford does everything as well, why would we trade up for him and not Sanchez when there is a francise DT at Pick number one.

I think Bradford is a wildcard and if we pass on Claussen we should look at the next 8 QB's

I want this combine here already...lol.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i don't know, i like bradford but i question his body and toughness. if we've proven one thing over the last 5 years, it's that our qb's are going to get hit often and that's not going to change unless steven jackson leaves the team. an excellent quarterback is no good to us if he's always hurt, i don't know that we're the right team for him.

Any QB can get hurt.

I don't get why people presume that because Bradford was injured, he is somehow more likely to get injured than other QBs.

Its not like he's undersized. He's about 6'4 and 223 lbs.

richtree is offline Registered User

bradford has that Frail look to his body though. There aren't muscles coming out....lol

He has the build of Eli Manning as far as his Muscle tone.

If you look at guys like Rivers, Big Ben, Peyton, Brees, Shaub, Sanchez, Stafford., most NFL guys have a strong base and build.

I think Bradford would need 2 years to physically grow and get to where he needs to be as a athlete.

I would love to know how many times he could rep 225.

Bradford is highly skilled. He is a scratch golfer. He is just a good athlete, but that doesn't equal athleticism.

His arm is good, not great. He is slow and not a strong 225. Scouts are more drafting on his room to grow...

Here's an interesting recent article on Bradford. Looks like he won't be working out at the Combine. My guess is that he will do a private in the weeks immediately prior to the draft.

'There's no doubt I made the right decision'

by: JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
    Thursday, January 14, 2010
    1/14/2010 4:08:51 AM

After the 2008 season, Sam Bradford was the Heisman Trophy winner and a projected No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. One year ago today, he announced he was putting the NFL on hold and returning to OU. Despite injuries that may have hurt his draft stock, Bradford says he's happy with his choice.

A year ago today, Sam Bradford stood at the podium in OU's Memorial Stadium Club and spoke of his contentment and satisfaction with having decided to play another year at Oklahoma.

The NFL scouting combine, the draft, mini-camps, contract negotiations, training camp, and the millions of dollars that go with it all for high first-round picks it could all wait, Bradford said. He would be a Sooner in 2009.

Now, with his shoulder twice wrecked and still on the mend, a question is speeding toward Bradford with each sunrise.

Did he make the right decision?

"There's no doubt I made the right decision," Bradford told the Tulsa World in a telephone interview Wednesday night. "I mean, people can doubt me and people can question me and say I made the wrong decision, but no one was sitting in my shoes last year. No one had all the information that I had last year. No one knew my emotions, how I felt last year. So no one could make that decision for me except for me.

"I know I made the right decision and some people might not agree with it, but it wasn't their decision. It was my decision."

Bradford clocks in every morning at his new full-time job in Gulf Breeze, Fla. He works out every morning at Athletes Performance, Inc., rehabs his shoulder for 90 minutes every afternoon at the Andrews Institute for Orthopedic and Sports Medicine, then works out again at API until 5. He'll start light throwing soon, he said, but doesn't expect to do anything at the NFL Scouting Combine except interview and show off his shoulder.

If the shoulder checks out, his draft status should be fine. If it's troublesome, his stock will fall, and those who say he made the wrong decision by staying at OU in 2009 will sound off in full force. Unfortunately, NFL scouts don't have much to work with other than two years of exceptional quarterbacking and a sore shoulder.

"The draft process, as strange as it sounds, has a lot to do sometimes with momentum, and his momentum right now is all negative," Scouts, Inc. director Todd McShay told the Tulsa World in a recent interview. "When you sit in a draft room with a general manager and a bunch of scouts, it's real easy to compare him with, say, Jimmy Clausen . . . (and) start bringing out the negatives: 'Well, he was in a system that doesn't translate to the NFL. Little bit undersized. Durability issues. Never saw him in tough game situations.'

"All of a sudden that negativity starts rolling and rolling and rolling and before you know it he winds up in the second round."

During an ESPN interview this week, McShay called Bradford "the best quarterback in this class" and said, "assuming he checks out healthy at the combine and there's no question about that shoulder injury I think he's a little bit of a reach this high but as the No. 1 quarterback, you know he's going to go in the top five to 10 picks."

NFL.com senior writer and former Dallas Cowboys personnel director Gil Brandt said he, too, expected Bradford to be taken in the top five. Draft analyst Mel Kiper, also an ESPN contributor, has Bradford ranked No. 5 overall. Scouts, Inc., ranks Bradford the No. 11 overall prospect.

If Bradford goes in the first five to 10 picks, that's precisely where he was projected last year before he declared his intention to play another year at OU.

The guaranteed money for quarterbacks in the last two drafts was starkly different in regards to their draft position.

In 2008, Matt Ryan was chosen No. 3 by Atlanta and received $34 million guaranteed. Baltimore picked Joe Flacco at No. 18 and gave him $8.75 million guaranteed.

In 2009, Matthew Stafford went to Detroit with the No. 1 overall pick and got $41 million guaranteed. At No. 5, the New York Jets gave Mark Sanchez $28 million guaranteed. Josh Freeman, the No. 17 pick, got $10 million guaranteed from Tampa Bay.

What determines Bradford's bank account, Brandt said, is exactly what NFL teams think about his right shoulder when they finally get to see it at the combine next month.

"Nobody can bring this guy in to give him an exam. You're not allowed to," Brandt said. "So you won't know anything until February 25th or 26th, because they report on the 24th to Indianapolis."

Brandt recalled the 2007 case of Sooner running back Adrian Peterson, who came out with a fractured collarbone. Half the NFL teams thought he was a risk, the other half didn't, Brandt said. He ended up going to Minnesota with the seventh pick and has led the league in rushing yards over the last three years.

"The same doctors with the same degrees," Brandt said, "don't always read the X-rays the same way."

Which gets down to this: Among those teams who aren't scared away by Bradford's injury, which ones need a quarterback, and where are they drafting?

"All it takes is one team to fall in love with him," McShay said, "but I know how this thing works, and it just makes me nervous for him, the negativity that'll start snowballing."

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

"All of a sudden that negativity starts rolling and rolling and rolling and before you know it he winds up in the second round."
    That would be unreal...Suh 1st Bradford 2nd..I guess we can dream lol

Brandt recalled the 2007 case of Sooner running back Adrian Peterson, who came out with a fractured collarbone. Half the NFL teams thought he was a risk, the other half didn't, Brandt said. He ended up going to Minnesota with the seventh pick and has led the league in rushing yards over the last three years.
    Very good point by Gil Brandt. I never let the injury to AP hinder my views on him, regardless of how serious it was. Much like whether we take Bradford or not I think he is going to be a great QB in the nfl for years to come.

Thanks for the article AV

sntlouisrams is offline Registered User

Aside from the top college Clausen and Bradford attended, would somebody like Dan Lefevour be far off those 2 when it all boils down and yet there is 2 rounds difference?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Bradford was 230 lbs last year when the season started supposedly. On ESPN over the weekend they said he was up to 240 lbs because he had been working out. From what I saw, he wasn't a weak 220 pounder anymore.

He supposedly will not be throwing at a private workout and will instead wait to throw at the combine. To me that's a good sign.

I don't understand the love for Pike. A freshman replaced him during his injury and almost didn't give the job back to Pike. Sorry but that worries the HECK out of me.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Rams went with Bradford. He has the best accuracy of any QB in the draft, he has a strong arm (it's crap to say otherwise when everyone agrees it's strong) and he has excellent pocket awareness and accuracy. That's everything you want in a QB.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Just too many 'What if's" on Bradford for a Number One Overall. What if a handful of 'second-tier' QB's tear it up at the Combine? This is zero-sum game, where any other QB's gain hurts Bradford and Clausen.

Bad shoulders are just huge targets for Blitzers in the NFL. QB's get abused in this league.

If Bradford nails everything at the Combine and private workouts, he will probably rise to the number one QB in the draft, but number one overall is a stretch.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I personally think the distant between Bradford and Pike is short...

Bradford ---- Pike

Suh ---------------------------------------------------2nd Round DT

I don't think it would surprise anyone if Pike, LeFevour, and some of the other QB's have better NFL careers.

I don't think any 2nd Round DT will have a career like Suh.

So, to answer the Bradford question presented he must have the best combine of all the QB's for us to consider him round 1, especially with Claussen not there.

Secondly, he must have a better comine than Sanchez did last year or equally as impressive. I really don't think this is possible because Sanchez was phyically more mature. Bradford was frail to begin with and now his rehap will hinder his conditioning for sure.

I do agree that he is a wildcard and its defintely too early. Bradford's "old school" style of play makes him hard to figure out.

If Bradford does everything as well, why would we trade up for him and not Sanchez when there is a francise DT at Pick number one.

I think Bradford is a wildcard and if we pass on Claussen we should look at the next 8 QB's

I want this combine here already...lol.
    I couldn't disagree more DT is the deepest position in this draft and QB is the most shallow IMO. It is true that Suh and McCoy are ahead of the pack, but after that you have a ton of guys after them with a ton of talent. Brian Price, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams they may not be on the same level as Suh, but they are great players and would be great additions next to Long and Ryan.

QB there is Sam Bradford and Claussen and then there is the rest of the pack. After those 2 guys can you really say there is a legitimate 1st or 2nd rounder? I can't. IMO drop off is much more evident at QB even though there is elite talent at DT.

I have had no problem with the top 2 QBs all along, because I think they both have the potential to escalate themselves to the top. They both have drawbacks. Bradford playing in the spread and his toughness and Claussen attitude and height. The thing is they both have the opportunity to answer those questions and make strong impressions. If you fall in love with a QB you take him. The Ravens fell in love with Flacco and they knew they could get good value for him by trading back so they did. Falcons fell in love with Matt Ryan they took him over the supposed number 1 option Glenn Dorsey.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Bad shoulders are just huge targets for Blitzers in the NFL. QB's get abused in this league.
    So his shoulder is somehow structurally unsound now or this is a condition that will persist?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I truly believe had Bradford not gotten injured this season he would be the #1 pick in the draft, no questions asked. But, with the shoulder injury and lingering questions/concerns about that, would you give him $42+ million guaranteed? (Stafford got $41.7 million guaranteed last year) I would have to say no, so unless we trade down, it'll be either Suh or McCoy.

With that said, Bradford is going to absolutely shine in interviews. He seems like a very personable, likable guy which is what Mark Sanchez was described as last year, so his stock should rise after the interviews at the combine.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind taking either Clausen or Bradford. QB after all IS the most important position on the field.

However, if we don't trade down, I just don't see us passing up on Suh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast