Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford is the true "Wild Card" for the Rams first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I couldn't disagree more DT is the deepest position in this draft and QB is the most shallow IMO. It is true that Suh and McCoy are ahead of the pack, but after that you have a ton of guys after them with a ton of talent. Brian Price, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams they may not be on the same level as Suh, but they are great players and would be great additions next to Long and Ryan.

QB there is Sam Bradford and Claussen and then there is the rest of the pack. After those 2 guys can you really say there is a legitimate 1st or 2nd rounder? I can't. IMO drop off is much more evident at QB even though there is elite talent at DT.

I have had no problem with the top 2 QBs all along, because I think they both have the potential to escalate themselves to the top. They both have drawbacks. Bradford playing in the spread and his toughness and Claussen attitude and height. The thing is they both have the opportunity to answer those questions and make strong impressions. If you fall in love with a QB you take him. The Ravens fell in love with Flacco and they knew they could get good value for him by trading back so they did. Falcons fell in love with Matt Ryan they took him over the supposed number 1 option Glenn Dorsey.
    I think there's only a clamoring for 2 top QB's because only a couple of teams need a new QB. The craze for collegiate athletes is a by-product of draftniks and pro agents looking to make money.

Why advertise 5 first round QB's when you know only 2 or 3 teams are looking to draft one? Now agents and well-paid draft guys like Kiper and McShay can shift the focus to other players they feel are worthy of a first round paycheck. I think it's a conspiracy.

Point being: Pike, LeFevour, Snead ect. won't get the love they're likely due, because after the Rams and Seachickens maybe the Redskins, who needs to spend 10 mil+ on a first round QB? Think about it.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    So his shoulder is somehow structurally unsound now or this is a condition that will persist?
    Good question. The mystery surrounding the answer to that question is why Bradford's stock is not higher.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

As I've stated in another post, I believe the Rams will be better served to draft Suh with the 1st pick, regardless of how Bradford or any QB in this draft does in private workouts or the combine.

I don't think any of them will all of a sudden turn into Peyton Manning, which is what it'll take to unseat Suh barring some freak injury, ala Michael Crabtree IMO.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Any QB can get hurt.

I don't get why people presume that because Bradford was injured, he is somehow more likely to get injured than other QBs.

Its not like he's undersized. He's about 6'4 and 223 lbs.
    he took very few hits during his time at oklahoma, and when he did take them he tended to get hurt. maybe that means nothing in the long run, i would trust devaney/spags and co to look into that.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    he took very few hits during his time at oklahoma, and when he did take them he tended to get hurt. maybe that means nothing in the long run, i would trust devaney/spags and co to look into that.
    I'm sure they'll consult their Magic 8 Ball.

TakeSuh is offline Registered User

lol good one.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

more likely they'll just research his injury history. they will probably decide that he's too high a risk with his injury history, and there is a history even outside of the two this season alone.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    because after the Rams and Seachickens maybe the Redskins, who needs to spend 10 mil+ on a first round QB? Think about it.
    I think that you will find that fans of the Bills, Browns, Raiders, and Panthers might disagree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota, Denver, or Jacksonville pulled the trigger on a 1st round QB either. Hell, even the Niners or Cards may not feel 100% great about their QB situation.

Point being that I disagree that only 2 Qb's are being projected as 1st rounders because of lack of need. I'd say that only 2 are being projected as 1st rounders because only 2 have the talent to match that projection.

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    more likely they'll just research his injury history. they will probably decide that he's too high a risk with his injury history, and there is a history even outside of the two this season alone.
    From what I've read, it was one injury that he returned from too quickly and then re-injured/aggrivated. I'm not aware of any other significant injuries in his career.

Obviously, any team considering Bradford must look into his medical history as part of the equation, but let's be honest... these things can be blown out of proportion. I remember a QB who had a history of knee problems that caused him fall to the late first round despite a wealth of talent. I think his name was Dan something... oh, yeah... Marino.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

but let's be honest... these things can be blown out of proportion.
    Add to that the number of running backs who've had knee injuries in college and teams have passed on them because they are now supposedly injury prone / damaged. It's been shown pretty clearly that a rebuilt knee isn't any more likely to fall apart again later.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Here's an interview that Bradford did with Dan Patrick today:

[TRANSCRIPT POSTED BELOW]

It's a good listen. Bradford says his rehab is well ahead of schedule and claims that his shoulder should be stronger than ever. Patrick said he should be moving up in mock drafts because he just finished watching him throw 40 yard "lasers" and "bullets." He then asks him if he had to throw it his furthest right now how far would it go, and Sam said in throwing sessions he's thrown them 50 yards "on a rope". There is no doubt Bradford will shine during interviews at the combine so if he can throw well and impress scouts I wouldn't be surprised to see him challenge for the first overall pick again. He should be a lock to Washington at #4 overall if he doesn't go first.

Obviously, 30-50 yard ropes from Bradford are hard to envision even if he and Patrick are claiming that. But, maybe the questions about his arm strength are a little overblown? I've read he has bulked up while he has been rehabbing so maybe he's starting to show it off a little bit. Should be interesting as the draft gets closer and closer.

I should also add that Chris Mortensen was on 101ESPN in St. Louis today and he stated that after watching Bradford throw recently he should be the consensus franchise QB in the draft and that he was impressed with how his body has filled out quite a bit.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Here's another good article on Bradford's status:

Q&A: Sam Bradford ‘focused on shoulder’

That’s what Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford said during his Super Bowl interview rounds in Florida. Bradford was on the Dan Patrick and Jim Rome shows on Tuesday.
    Here’s an excerpt of his conversation with Patrick. You can listen to the entire interview at danpatrick.com.
    Dan Patrick: How are you health wise?
    Sam Bradford: "Pretty good, the shoulder feels great. I throw three days a week, and (the) doctor says it looks great. I am ahead of schedule.”
    Patrick: Is the shoulder injury re-occurring?
    Bradford: "No, it should not be.They went in and reconstructed the AC joint, and after the rehab is finished, my shoulder should be stronger than it was before.”
    Patrick: If there was a national title game for Oklahoma, would you have played?
    Bradford: "Probably not. I had surgery halfway through the season. There is no way I could have made that game.”
    Patrick: If you could throw it right now, how far could you throw?
    Bradford: "I don’t know. Right now, I’m on a throwing program. My last throwing session was throwing 30 balls for 50 yards.”
    Patrick: What’s it like when you watch those mock drafts, and you see your name? It doesn’t take long when it gets to your name. Are you checking out real estate is any areas?
    Bradford: "No, I am not checking out real estate. I try to not pay too much attention to it. I am just focused on my shoulder.”
    Patrick: When you go into those interviews, what do you think is the first thing they are going to ask you?
    Bradford: "I don’t know. I got a question this morning ... if I could be a tree, what kind of tree would I be?”
    Patrick: Are you competitive?
    Bradford: "Extremely. I probably could have beaten you in H-O-R-S-E. The challenge hasn’t been issued, so now isn’t the time.”
    Patrick: You played high school basketball.Were you good?
    Bradford: "I did. I was pretty good.”
    Patrick: Could of you have played college?
    Bradford: "I think so, maybe not at Oklahoma.”
    Patrick: And you played with Blake Griffin?
    Bradford: "I did. That was not high school but AAU ball.”
    Patrick: Do you feel like you are still the Oklahoma quarterback?
    Bradford: "No, I have kind of moved past that.”
    Patrick: If you look at the other quarterbacks, if it was Tebow or Colt McCoy, how can you not nit-pick what they do when it comes to comparing you to other quarterbacks around the country?
    Bradford: "I think we all have our own playing styles, and everyone is different. My dad taught me that you never compete with anyone else; you always compete with yourself. I have always tried to do just that and focus on bettering myself.”
    Patrick: Why do you think you should be the No. 1 quarterback taken (in the NFL Draft)?
    Bradford: "I think I am extremely accurate and extremely competitive. I don’t think you are going to meet anyone who works harder than me.”
    Patrick: I hear you are working for Gatorade. What exactly are you doing?
    Bradford: "Today, we were down to the Gatorade testing facility.They put us through some tests to monitor our breathing on a stationary bike for a new Gatorade drink called the G-Series. There are three new drinks being tested; one for before, one for during, and one for after the workouts.”
    Patrick: Could you beat up Jimmy Clausen?
    Bradford: "Ha-ha. No comment.”
    Patrick: I heard great things while at an Oklahoma State football game. People telling me how great your father and grandfather are. You should feel proud that people even at Oklahoma State say good things about you.
    Bradford: (No response).
    Patrick: Welcome to Buffalo.... No, you are going to the Redskins. You’re OK with that? Bradford: "We’ll see.”

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

What if the doctors say he is fine and that there should be no long term impact from his shoulder injury?

What if he impresses at the Combine and/or his individual workouts?

What if he presents as a confident leader in his interviews?

If these things happen, the Rams very well could decide that the time is now to take a chance at drafting a potential franchise QB.
    Agreed, Bradford's health plays a big role in the process. I'd expect him to do a better job in interviews than Clausen will, given all the rumblings you hear about Clausen's sometimes offputting attitude. If Bradford can show his shoulder is healthy and won't be a recurring issue, do well in interviews, and most importantly, make all the throws and make them accurately, he'll quiet a number of fears.

Still, if the Rams decide to take a QB, I still think the logical route would be to work a trade with Tampa and gain an additional pick(s) in the process. Is Washington really going to trade up and leapfrog us, and if they do, is Detroit really motivated to do that since they'd likely miss out on DT help (assuming we'd take McCoy @ 3 with Suh and Bradford off the board)?

Lots of question marks. But I firmly believe Suh makes the most sense @ first overall, and if the Rams completely fall in love with a QB, trade down so you can take him and get something else in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Brian Price, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams they may not be on the same level as Suh, but they are great players and would be great additions next to Long and Ryan.
    Except I wouldn't be surprised if they're all off the board when we pick in the second. Price is a legit top 15-20 pick, and both Odrick and Williams are riding some Senior Bowl momentum and will also get looks from 3-4 teams as well because they don't appear to be scheme specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I truly believe had Bradford not gotten injured this season he would be the #1 pick in the draft, no questions asked. But, with the shoulder injury and lingering questions/concerns about that, would you give him $42+ million guaranteed? (Stafford got $41.7 million guaranteed last year) I would have to say no, so unless we trade down, it'll be either Suh or McCoy.

With that said, Bradford is going to absolutely shine in interviews. He seems like a very personable, likable guy which is what Mark Sanchez was described as last year, so his stock should rise after the interviews at the combine.
    I agree with most everything, good post!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

dlions is offline Registered User

Hi from a lions fan, Last year Bradford was by far the player I wanted. I think he could be the next Joe Montana type(with a stronger arm than Joe).He will need a little time to develop because is lack of snaps under center. Barring a set back I believe Sam will be your pick. I'm not saying that because I want Suh, but that would be great. I'm hoping the Rams pass on Bradford, so a team like Seattle would want to leap frog the Redskins giving Detroit #6(Haden,Berry or Okung) and #14(Dan William or C.J. Spiller).

It's very hard to trade the #1 pick because of the salary, but I could see Dan Snider(Redskins) wanting to move up. I don't know if you want a 4th pick package with the team being for sale. I think the owner(old or new) will want a new face on the franchise, that and his great accuracy are the reasons I believe the Rams will take Bradford over Suh. Clausen would be a bad pick even if you trade down to the 4th or 6th pick. Do Not Take Clausen unless he makes it to the second round and that won't happen with 8 or 9 teams needing a Qb badly. Good luck this season !

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dlions View Post
    Hi from a lions fan, Last year Bradford was by far the player I wanted. I think he could be the next Joe Montana type(with a stronger arm than Joe).He will need a little time to develop because is lack of snaps under center. Barring a set back I believe Sam will be your pick. I'm not saying that because I want Suh, but that would be great. I'm hoping the Rams pass on Bradford, so a team like Seattle would want to leap frog the Redskins giving Detroit #6(Haden,Berry or Okung) and #14(Dan William or C.J. Spiller).

It's very hard to trade the #1 pick because of the salary, but I could see Dan Snider(Redskins) wanting to move up. I don't know if you want a 4th pick package with the team being for sale. I think the owner(old or new) will want a new face on the franchise, that and his great accuracy are the reasons I believe the Rams will take Bradford over Suh. Clausen would be a bad pick even if you trade down to the 4th or 6th pick. Do Not Take Clausen unless he makes it to the second round and that won't happen with 8 or 9 teams needing a Qb badly. Good luck this season !
    And the Rams beat you and your franchise quarterback. So the only lesson I take away from that is that drafting a QB #1 overall when you have a bad team is that it enables you to also lose to a extremely bad team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast