Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    dlions is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford is the true "Wild Card" for the Rams first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I'm sorry I have to pick apart this post.

Steve Young was Montana's backup and can hardly be used as being on a bad team as an example.

Tarkington was a 3rd round draft pick.

Montana was a 3rd round pick.

Jim Kelly was drafted in the first round in 1983 but played 3 seasons in the USFL before joining the Bills in 1986.

Moon wasnt even drafted and played in the Canadian football league before coming to the NFL.

Dan Fouts was drafted in the 3rd round.

Several of the guys you mentioned were not looked at as franchise qb's when drafted or not drafted for that matter.The draft is an absolute crap shoot and you can hardly call guys drafted in the 3rd round or not drafted at all franchise qb's. Do at least a little research before just throwing names out there. The fact you even mention Steve Young's days in Tampa is laughable. He sat behind Montana for years before getting his chance and then joined a very good football team as a starter. Not really a lot of guys who were considered franchise qb's just come right in and save the franchise from day one. The best year was the year Eli Manning,Rivers, and Roethlesburger came out but those guys were highly touted coming into the draft. I don't get that vibe with any of the qb's coming out in this years draft.
    Do you really believe the teams that took or added Young, Kelly, Moon and Montana did not think these Guys were the future of their teams ?

San Francisco traded multiple picks(2nd & 4th i believe) for Young. At the time Warren Moon was draft eligible there was a lot of race talk after he was not drafted. Teams where trying to get him out of his CFL contract early and there was a bidding war when he became a free agent. Kelly passed for over 9500 yard and over 80 TD's in 2 years USFL. I think Buffalo thought he was a franchise QB before he went to the USFL. Bill Walsh had a draft philosophy of drafting players for what they could do, not what they couldn't do. Montana arm strength was ripped going into the draft and was rated a 5th to 8th round pick by many, but he was a very accurate passer which was perfect fit for Bill's version of the west coast offense.

Quote Originally Posted by dlions View Post
    I don't think you ever draft a QB to be a backup,maybe now someone might draft one for the wildcat offense. I think even Miami took Pat White to be a starter down the road. The point I've been trying to make is you never pass on a franchise QB.
    I should have said "potential franchise Qb". I also have already said drafting Qb is a crap shoot. Actually any drafted players is a crap shoot, but first round picks and QB's are the ones that catch the eye.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Guys... get back on topic, or take it elsewhere.

This thread is about Sam Bradford, in case you forgot.

This is my last post on this subject for awhile. I guess I just like Bradford more than most.

Good Luck next season !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234