Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Sammy Watkins Just Not a Rams Fit

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Watkiins Numbers Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I just don't see how pie eyed fans can look at his actual games and not see some big questions on how his game could work in the NFL, where being physical is a must to be a top WR.
    Did you happen to see the play where he absolutely plowed over Ryan Shazier, a projected first round linebacker, to get a first down? Another example that comes to mind is the catch and run touchdown from the Georgia game early in the season where he lowered his shoulder and trucked a defender to the ground.

Being as big of an OSU fan as they come I was obviously watching the game, but paid particular attention to Watkins' performance. I'm now even more convinced of his talent, and think of him as a better prospect than Evans right now.

He play reminded me of the way the Falcons use Julio Jones, who happens to run a lot of screens himself, using his strength and athleticism to stretch those plays into big gains. I think it was mostly just a gameplan decision to keep using him with screen plays last night though. I mean, who wouldn't do that if your opponent couldn't possibly stop it? Watkins was far and away the best athlete on the field last night.

If his whole season was based on such usage, where he hardly ever even goes past the line of scrimmage, even when he doesn't get the ball, then i think he is vastly overrated, as far as some sure thing in the NFL.
    A quick view of even just a highlight video will show that he's not, and he's asked to make a lot of catches down the field. My concern with a lot of his deep balls is that he's wide open, which won't happen at the next level, but he has a lot of tape with him making good catches in traffic, including his second touchdown last night, a really great leap and grab in the endzone over a defender.

I think you're putting too much stock into this one performance, which is strange to say because it was such a good one.

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: Sammy Watkins Just Not a Rams Fit

I thought it before, and do even more now. They use Watkins just like Tavon Austin as used in college, running end arounds, getting a more than half his receptions behind the line of scrimmage on bubble screens.

When they looked downfiield against an Ohio State Defense missing their best CB, they went to Bryant, who was as impressive to me as Watkins.

Watkins long TD wa simply a badly broken defense. he did make a nice catch over a DB one on one for his other score, but overall, compared to what I have seen of Mike Evans and Marquise Lee and others, against a weak OSU pass defense, I am not convinced that Watkins is a top 13 pick.

The Rams don't need another Austin or Bailey, they need someone who can consistently keep drives alive with 7 yard receptions in a crowd, who can also get deep. They need someone 6-3 or better, with long arms and leaping ability and great ands and toughness.

I would take DeAndre Hopkins over Watkins, even without his off field criminal record, based on what I see, and how Watkins got most of his catches.

In the NFL, that bubble screen doesn't work over and over, even with a star receiver.
    We can look at it like this:
    Tavon Austin is .... 5'6-7'? no way is he 5'9-- and ultra quick with speed thrown in. Samy Watkins is 6'1", just as quick and perhaps faster on a straight-a-way than Austin, so for all intents and purposes, he is a big, rich mans Tavon Austin.

This means that what we all would have wanted Tavon Austin to be as far as stature-- Watkins is.

Id be estatic to get Watkins or any of the other top WR in the Draft like Evans, Coleman, or Benjamin.
    ManofGod likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You don't have to take my word for it, just look at all the rankings. I doubt you'll see one that has Lee ahead of Watkins. Don't get me wrong, I'm a USC fan and fully understand how good Lee is. I just believe Watkins is better.

Benjamin is 6'5 with long arms, so obviously he doesn't need to get off the ground as high as some other receivers, but he does. Not to mention how physical he is. He is the only receiver in this draft that I'd possibly take over Sammy Watkins.

Go watch his tape on youtube, I think you'll see what I mean.
    like i said with lee, it depends on the type of player you want as they both have similar, yet different styles, what do you mean by better anyway, specifically?

but about benjamin....so is it that he doesn't jump high cause he doesn't need to...or can he jump high..

cause i haven't seen him jump high, and at his height, if he could that would be very nice in a rams uniform, i mean, more than it already would be (he's got dreads so he's good lol)

plus i've seen lee as the no. 2 WR in this draft and no. 8 overall

but i don't pay attention to rankings, most are BS anyway

edit: nevermind about benjamin, he's got hops....don't know how i missed it before lol
    Last edited by citr92; -01-04-2014 at 05:36 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Watkiins Numbers Friday

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    So many bubble screens!!
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If he is in fact not a fit for the Rams, maybe it's for the better. Because I don't see him lasting until St. Louis is back on the clock at 13. He looks like he's going to be the first receiver off the board, and likely in the Top Ten. I could see him going as high as five to Oakland, depending on how the QB picks play out ahead of them. But Minnesota, Buffalo, and Detroit could all make strong cases for taking him IMO.
    ManofGod likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

If he were 6'4 we wouldn't be talking about this, which I think is a bit silly. If he's physical and will go up an compete -- rather than wait for the ball…I'm looking at you WRs in Ram uniforms -- then he can be useful to us. How many 6'4 CBs are there in NFL?

Bottom line -- I'll take an athletic, physical WR if we can find him, whether is name is Watkins or not.
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If he is in fact not a fit for the Rams, maybe it's for the better. Because I don't see him lasting until St. Louis is back on the clock at 13. He looks like he's going to be the first receiver off the board, and likely in the Top Ten. I could see him going as high as five to Oakland, depending on how the QB picks play out ahead of them. But Minnesota, Buffalo, and Detroit could all make strong cases for taking him IMO.
    The Rams could move back to 8 with the Minnesota Vikings and then be right in line to take the best WR in the draft. If the Rams look at Chris Givens regression and Quick slow development and don't like the lack of production maybe they go this route.

What a difference a year makes, last year we gave up picks to get the first WR, this year we could get more picks and land the first WR,
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-05-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    like i said with lee, it depends on the type of player you want as they both have similar, yet different styles, what do you mean by better anyway, specifically?
    By better I mean he will be abetter pro IMO.

For one, he's had no injury history and he's stronger and more physical than Lee.

I don't think Sammy will have much of a problem getting off press coverage in the NFL, whereas I think Lee will struggle some because he's not as physical. But, I could be wrong, we'll see.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The Rams could move back to 8 with the Minnesota Vikings and then be right in line to take the best WR in the draft.
    That's true, certainly a possibility.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Barry I get your point, but this is also why he is so impressive. He can play the same game that Tavon however he's 6'1" and 200lbs. He is VERY physical and snatches the ball out of the air. He has blazing speed and plays bigger than his size. I'm here in charlotte so I see him play all the time, and I'm not a fan of us picking up a WR in round 1 this year (I want Beckam next year), but if we do he's a better prospect than both Evans and Lee.
    richtree likes this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I would have Watkins rated higher than Patterson. I liked Cordarelle but he really worried me whether he could pick up an NFL playbook and really get the mental part of it. Watkins has no such questions. Sammy will be solid in the NFL, only thing I'm curious about is if he can go to a team like the Rams or Raiders and be the #1 and carry the team, or whether he needs to go somewhere like Detroit or Tampa Bay and be the #2 for a little bit.
    Great question.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think if anything the bowl game greatly improved his stock showing he has a little Julio Jones in him and some serious strength on the outside....Barry's post seem more off each day...I am trying to give your opinion a chance, as I know how it feels to differ, but your not making a logically case for watkins, who has been helping his stock

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    By better I mean he will be abetter pro IMO.

For one, he's had no injury history and he's stronger and more physical than Lee.

I don't think Sammy will have much of a problem getting off press coverage in the NFL, whereas I think Lee will struggle some because he's not as physical. But, I could be wrong, we'll see.
    i meant what specific skill, but i get your point

also just realized yesterday that watkins is two years younger than lee...interesting

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    If he were 6'4 we wouldn't be talking about this, which I think is a bit silly. If he's physical and will go up an compete -- rather than wait for the ball…I'm looking at you WRs in Ram uniforms -- then he can be useful to us. How many 6'4 CBs are there in NFL?

Bottom line -- I'll take an athletic, physical WR if we can find him, whether is name is Watkins or not.
    yea, size is one thing, but if you can JUMP...that helps too

i mean look at nickell robey out of USC...not drafted

he's 5'8" but has a 40 inch vertical...and he's a good CB regardless, he took a starting job early in the season and hasn't looked back

wasn't there a discussion about some receivers like desean jackson and steve smith, both shorter than watkins, being #1 receivers?

Haste is offline Registered User

If watkins can play physical to beat man-to-man consistently and be a #1 for the future, i'm all for it.

If he can Block like Quick can it would be awesome to have Sammy as a threat on reverses/ screens.

Who do you prepare for with Bailey / Austin / Watkins on the field?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast