Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sanchez impresses in front of 30 teams at pro day

Sanchez turns in solid pro day
    Frank Tadych
    NFL.com

LOS ANGELES — For some, a pro day workout is one of the last chances to put potential NFL talent on display. For others, especially the more established prospects, it’s more about the experience.

Count USC quarterback Mark Sanchez in that second group.

The consensus at USC on Wednesday was that Sanchez had an excellent performance in front of a full house that included NFL scouts and coaches, family and friends, and even a few fans in the stands. He showed balance, solid footwork and most importantly, accuracy on all of his throws. He estimated that he threw about 80 passes — a strong number for a pro day workout.

There were even whispers that Sanchez’s pro day was better than that of Georgia’s Matt Stafford. Again, whispers. But Sanchez was confident and effortless, and did nothing but help himself.

“I think he showed better arm strength than people generally give him,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “He’s not Stafford, he’s not [Kansas State's Josh] Freeman; but his arm is every bit as good as Matt Ryan’s. And as Matt Ryan showed this year, when you’re accurate and you show good anticipation, a good arm is good enough. That’s what Matt is, and that’s what Mark Sanchez is. What he showed is consistency.”

If his draft stock is indeed rising, as it appears to be, Sanchez says it’s due to his competitiveness.

“I think a lot of it has just been my competitive nature, that’s really come to the forefront,” Sanchez said. “I think my willingness to work out for everyone, to make every throw. We had a set script coming into this, and a couple teams wanted to tweak it a little bit and add some throws here and there. I said, ‘No problem, let’s do it.’ And I nailed it. I think that attitude is really showing.”

Sanchez did add to his throwing script, and the Lions were one of the teams that requested some extra looks. Sanchez will have a private visit with the Lions in about two weeks.

A college quarterback with only 16 starts might raise red flags, but part of the draw on Sanchez is his ability to learn quickly, and his willingness to do everything teams ask of him. He went through a full workout at the combine — doing every drill — and showed that competitive nature again today.

“I’ll tell you right now, that means something to these NFL guys,” Mayock said. “He’s not hiding anything, he’s not guarding anything. I really think he stepped up today and showed that he has confidence in his ability and he executed on it. I think he had a great day.”

The caveat, of course, is that quarterbacks better look good at their pro day.

“I’ve never seen a guy not complete 99.9 percent of his passes against air,” one general manager commented.

Sanchez effectively sidestepped a question about where he’ll be picked in the first round, but used the word “honor” about being the No. 1 pick. He’s more concerned about being in the right system and being with the right team than draft number. Yes, he’s saying all the right things. Yet the indications are from those in the know that Sanchez could be picked anywhere among the top 20 picks — and it wouldn’t be a shock.

It’s beginning to look as we get closer to draft day that Sanchez could prove to be an early wild card of the draft.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Sanchez impresses in front of 30 teams at pro day

Sanchez did add to his throwing script, and the Lions were one of the teams that requested some extra looks. Sanchez will have a private visit with the Lions in about two weeks.
    People thought me naming Sanchez as Detroit's #1 pick was farfetched. I wonder what they will think after reading this. I guess I saw something in there that the "pros" overlooked...

Nah.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

More on Sanchez from the LA Times...

Pro day looks like a tweet deal for USC's Mark Sanchez
    Sam Farmer
    From the Los Angeles Times
    April 1, 2009

College pro days are, in a way, the NFL's version of the Internet's Twitter.

Short bursts of information -- some useful, some not.

Fleeting glimpses of a larger mosaic.

A blistering 40-yard dash here, a choreographed passing performance there, a sea of raised stopwatches, and -- voila! -- talent evaluators have a little clearer vision of who a pro prospect really is.

For a city that hasn't had an NFL team in 14 years, this is Super Bowl week, when all eyes are trained on Los Angeles. UCLA held its modest pro day Tuesday, and USC's standing-room-only extravaganza takes place today. The town is teeming with NFL coaches, general managers and scouts, all determined to gather every last bit of information on players who, a month from now, will cost them tens of millions of dollars.

Here, in keeping with Twitter's short-sentence rules, are some observations from the Bruins' pro day and the one the Trojans are about to stage:

* USC quarterback Mark Sanchez tops Georgia's Matt Stafford on a lot of draft boards.

* Don't be surprised if Sanchez goes fourth to Seattle. Half of the Seahawks' front office is in town.

* Sanchez was scheduled to meet Tuesday night with Seattle and Jacksonville brass, with Jags picking up dinner tab.

* Trips Sanchez has already made: Detroit, San Francisco and St. Louis.

* Ranking Trojans' top 3 linebackers: 1. Brian Cushing (1st round); 2. Rey Maualuga (1st); 3. Clay Matthews (late 1st/early 2nd).

* UCLA's highest-rated prospect? Punter Aaron Perez, who impressed scouts by booming some kicks into the ozone layer.

* Rick Neuheisel says future pro days will be a bigger deal for the Bruins. With his recruiting, he's right.

* It was a good day for UCLA safety Bret Lockett, who bench-pressed 225 pounds 19 times and ran his best 40 in 4.45 seconds.

* Tailback Kahlil Bell, UCLA's only combine invitee, ran ho-hum 40 times of 4.72 and 4.75. Scouts see him as a late-round battering ram.

* For a running back, one-tenth of a second in the 40 is like the difference between a Ferrari and a Ford Focus.

* Unbelievable: The most impressive Trojan at the combine was kicker David Buehler, who was faster and stronger than USC's linebackers.

* Oft-hobbled UCLA QB Ben Olson was a spectator. He re-injured his foot but hopes to run in 2-3 weeks.

* Agent Chuck Price, who reps Matt Leinart, was at UCLA's pro day. Says Leinart is in better shape now than in any previous March.

* Price says Leinart was inspired this off-season by Tom Brady. The two worked out at the same L.A.-area gym, as did Reggie Bush.

* A ton of teams are in the market for a quarterback, including San Francisco, the Jets and Denver, which now hopes to trade Jay Cutler.

* Bruins QB Patrick Cowan, out last season, threw some beautiful deep balls. Third QB somewhere?

* You want tough? Check out former UCLA middle linebacker Christian Taylor, who played his last 1 1/2 seasons with a torn biceps.

* USC's pro day might be big, but it won't match the 2006 version that included Leinart, Bush and easily more than 1,000 spectators.

* The highest-profile NFL types at UCLA were Vikings Coach Brad Childress and Green Bay GM Ted Thompson. Today will be a who's who.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

That's interesting that we gave him a visit. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team, but only if we're able to use our second round pick on him. Even then, with the issues we have, I don't know if he's worth it. I'm sure he'll be a great player, but timing is everything. It'll be interesting to see what we do on draft day, a few trades could happen, who knows?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

Dominique Byrd also worked out as USC's pro day.

Excuse my editorial laugh: HAH!