Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sando: Clues on the Rams' approach to market

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando: Clues on the Rams' approach to market

Clues on the Rams' approach to market
    July, 28, 2011; 9:50 AM ET
    By Mike Sando

The trade agreement that would send Reggie Bush to the Miami Dolphins affirms once again the St. Louis Rams' apparent preference for lower-profile transactions in free agency.

Bush would have fit nicely, at least in theory, as a third-down back and change of pace for Rams starter Steven Jackson.

Adding Bush also would have qualified as a flashy move. St. Louis does not appear preoccupied with flashy moves at the moment.

The Rams have holes in their roster, but generally not at key positions. They're set with young starters or future starters at quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive end, middle linebacker and cornerback. They have numbers at wide receiver, but could still use an elite target at the position. They were mentioned as a possible suitor for Sidney Rice, who signed with Seattle, but how serious were the Rams? They could also use a right guard, backup running back and outside linebackers.

The team's reported preference for Jason Snelling and Jerome Harrison over Bush or Darren Sproles also shows the Rams want their backup running back to bring more to the table than specialized skills suited for a limited role. Snelling carried 24 times for 129 yards against Arizona last season, carrying the load effectively for Atlanta after the Falcons lost Michael Turner to injury. Snelling has three career games with at least 24 carries. Harrison has four career games with at least 29 attempts. Bush has never carried more than 21 times in a game.

Snelling or Harrison would provide insurance should an injury sideline Jackson for entire games. Bush would have given the Rams a player to supplement Jackson situationally.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sando: Clues on the Rams' approach to market

Makes perfect sense to me. In DeSpags we trust!

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I think thats smart. Cheaper and can take over a full game(s) if SJ gets hurt.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Free agency is a lot like the draft........fans get enamored with a name, and feel quite certain if their team doesn't get that name, the world will explode.

We as fans have got to look past the surface (ie. a name). This is the strategery of Dan Snyder........and exactly how many rings have the skins managed over the past few years?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Hub I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. When it comes to evaluating talent, Devaney has proven his staff is quite capable.

My issue (for lack of a better word) is that they cut Atogwe, then replaced him. That's fine, but it only filled a hole the Rams created for themselves. Then, they released last years starting LB creating another hole that certainly has to be filled. So now the Rams are looking for 2 new LB's, a DT and a new RB. Not to mention a new guard. I know it's early, but I don't feel like the Rams have really made themselves a better team (yet). I trust that whoever the Rams pick up will be a smart choice. It doesn't have to be a big name, but it would make me feel a lot better if I knew they were negotiating with some of these positions. The most I've heard recently is "there may be interest with so and so" or "this RB may be an option now".

I'm quite content with whatever name is on the back of the jersey, but with training camp starting in a 48 hours I would really like to see 1 other hole filled before then.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Atlanta, I hear you. But the 2010 team was a single game from the playoffs.....a YOUNG 2010 team. They are, as a team, on the low side of their learning curve. If they added nobody, they would still be better than their 2010 version.

Of course, I'm not advocating the "nobody" approach, but when we say the Rams need to add a (fill in position), that's us saying it. Maybe that position is a little more filled than any of us know.

I'm just saying.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

remember the uproar when the Texans picked Mario Williams over Bush? People talked about how they'd never recover as a franchise and how they'd regret it for years to come. We all saw how that turned out.

I don't understand why we didn't give OJ that money. There is no way the Mikell is better. I hardly believe he can be equal. Yet he is guna make more money than atogwe. Makes no sense to me. and now we have a bunch of SSs. Darian stweart seems like the only one who can play FS and unless he has shown dramatic improvement, he should not be our starter.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    I don't understand why we didn't give OJ that money. There is no way the Mikell is better. I hardly believe he can be equal. Yet he is guna make more money than atogwe. Makes no sense to me. and now we have a bunch of SSs. Darian stweart seems like the only one who can play FS and unless he has shown dramatic improvement, he should not be our starter.
    Atogwe didn't fit our system well. Mikell is a surehand right puzzle for this defense. In Spags's defense, free safeties are like strong safeties (I've just noticed). It's basically a prerequisite to be a hard tackler in this defense and Mikell is sure as hell better at doing it than Atogwe.

Atogwe didn't fit our system well. Mikell is a surehand right puzzle for this defense. In Spags's defense, free safeties are like strong safeties (I've just noticed). It's basically a prerequisite to be a hard tackler in this defense and Mikell is sure as hell better at doing it than Atogwe
    I keep hearing thats the case, but I just feel like without a ballhawk were going to let up more big pass plays. If our dline gets massive pressure(like i believe they can) then mikell will be Ok. He really isn't a very good tackler, but if he can stuff holes and slowdown rb's on the outside runs then he will be doing his job. That is a spot where OJ was very weak. Im just worried about the cb's getting burnt over the top without help behind them.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    I keep hearing thats the case, but I just feel like without a ballhawk were going to let up more big pass plays. If our dline gets massive pressure(like i believe they can) then mikell will be Ok. He really isn't a very good tackler, but if he can stuff holes and slowdown rb's on the outside runs then he will be doing his job. That is a spot where OJ was very weak. Im just worried about the cb's getting burnt over the top without help behind them.
    I doubt our CBs will get burned (though Fletcher needs to learn consistency) but unless one of them gets injured, then we can all

Still, Quintin Mikell is a solid coverage guy.
    San Diego Ram likes this.

Still, Quintin Mikell is a solid coverage guy
    Yea i dont believe that from what i have seen. Nate allen was a much better coverage guy as a rookie and he isn't nearly as good as OJ at coverage.

I hope he fits better in our scheme than in phillys, but I don't think our schemes are very different. I just think the guy was overrated, but Despags knows more than me so I guess I should just trust him. He is a ram now so I will be cheering for him when the season comes around. I'm just a little shocked at the move and I hope more than anything he plays better than last year so I can rub it in my brothers'(eagles fans) faces when he sacks vick and makes him fumble in week 1.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Unless there are talks going on that aren't being reported by the media, I'm really disappointed in the FO.

I don't need flashy players. I can understand wanting Snelling or Harrison more than Sproles or Bush. I don't agree, but I can understand. I'd rather get a RB that complements SJ. But if the Rams want a RB that can carry the load in case SJ gets hurt, Sproles or Bush can not.

I wish they would have pushed harder for Rice. I've always thought he would be a stud if he had a QB. The one year he did, he was great. I believe he would would have made our offense elite once Bradford matured. Either this year or next.

Ok so maybe the Rams didn't want to pay Rice because they weren't sure about him. Fine. The biggest problem is they are going after LB and Dline men that suck. They cut Grant and are looking to replace him with just as bad of a LB. I don't need a big name. Just LBs that have produced. There are still a few out there. At least try to get them before going for the leftovers please.

I agree with you on rice.I loved that guy ever since South carolina. He actually showed his worth last year while he was hurt. Brett favre really missed him.
    That money we spent on quentin mikell would have better served us going to rice. The only thing is we drafted 2 receivers and already have a bunch. SO I dont think they wanted to throw all our offseason at Wr's. We probably shouldn't have taken two wr's after we took a TE in the draft. I know we didn't know salas would be there but I wish we could have passed on pettis and tried to fill a different hole in that third round.

There are still some lb's out there so we better get on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast