Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Sando: Rams Free-Agency Assessment

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando: Rams Free-Agency Assessment

St. Louis Rams

Key additions: CB Cortland Finnegan, C Scott Wells, DT Kendall Langford, WR Steve Smith

Key losses: WR Brandon Lloyd, P Donnie Jones, OLB Chris Chamberlain

Sando's grade so far: B. The Rams would get a higher grade for their offseason in general, but this item focuses on free agency. That excludes from consideration Jeff Fisher's hiring as head coach, and general manager Les Snead's ability to maximize value for the second overall pick in the draft. The Finnegan and Wells signings give the Rams welcome leadership while upgrading important positions. Langford should help the run defense.

The Rams have yet to address their playmaking deficiencies. They did not land any of the high-profile wide receivers in free agency. There's a chance Smith will recapture old form in his second season back from microfracture knee surgery, but the Rams are not counting on that. They will almost certainly emerge from free agency without even marginally upgrading the weaponry for quarterback Sam Bradford. That is a disappointment.

What’s next: The outlook remains bright for St. Louis. The team owns the sixth, 33rd and 39th choices in the 2012 draft, plus two first-rounders in each of the following two drafts. There will be time and opportunity for the Rams to add the offensive firepower they need so badly, perhaps with Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon or Alabama running back Trent Richardson at No. 6 overall.

Much work lies ahead. The Rams emerged from this week with eight fewer players on their roster than the average for the other 31 teams. Using free agency to address holes at outside linebacker and left guard would provide flexibility heading into the draft. The Rams still need a backup quarterback as well. Bradford is the only QB on the roster. It's looking like the team is serious about bringing back right tackle Jason Smith despite injury concerns and a fat contract that will presumably require adjustment.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: Rams Free-Agency Assessment

It's looking like the team is serious about bringing back right tackle Jason Smith despite injury concerns and a fat contract that will presumably require adjustment.
    This is the biggest surprise to me, I thought the Rams would have tried to get a new deal, who knows they might be working on that or wait until camp to see how he looks. Maybe the new staff likes what they see on tape and believe they can coach him up... I hope that is the case we need better play from our tackles.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This is the biggest surprise to me, I thought the Rams would have tried to get a new deal, who knows they might be working on that or wait until camp to see how he looks. Maybe the new staff likes what they see on tape and believe they can coach him up... I hope that is the case we need better play from our tackles.
    Even the best RT in the NFL makes a lot less than Smith. Eric Winston who was a pro bowl RT for the Texans got released because he was going to make $5 million... Smith is making $10 million, and he sucks. The only way he should make that is if he's a franchise LT, franchise QB, franchise DE, or a franchise CB. Smith should get his contract re-structured IMMEDIATELY because we only have 4 million in cap left.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Even the best RT in the NFL makes a lot less than Smith. Eric Winston who was a pro bowl RT for the Texans got released because he was going to make $5 million... Smith is making $10 million, and he sucks. The only way he should make that is if he's a franchise LT, franchise QB, franchise DE, or a franchise CB. Smith should get his contract re-structured IMMEDIATELY because we only have 4 million in cap left.
    I think we will only re-structure his contact if we're going to keep him and that isn't certain yet. I suspect the picture will get clear after the draft depending on whom we draft for the O-Line. Remember there is still a chance Smith is moved inside to left guard.

Go Rams!