Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Is Sands really such a big deal?

It seems to me there's a lot of hype surrounding this guy. At linebacker I hear names like Briggs and Thomas. At defensive end, I hear names like Freeney, Smith, Grant, and Kerney. These are guys who have had a lot of success in the league. Then when people talk about free agent defensive tackles, it seems like I always hear we should sign this guy, Terdell Sands, whom I'd never heard of until this season.

Having not seen any Raiders games last season I admit I haven't seen Sands in action recently, but I have to question whether he'd really be much of an improvement at the position. The guy has been in the league for six years and has never started a game. Shouldn't that tell us something? I hear he looked good when he got playing time last year, but there has to be a reason he was never given a shot at the starting job. Was the guy starting in front of him just that good? Or is it that Sands doesn't have the stamina to be an every-down player? Is it a coincidence that his career numbers came in a contract year? Do the proponents of signing him envision him as a starter for us next year or a depth player? I'm sure there's more to it, but on the surface there seems to be undue excitement about the possibility of signing a backup on the 25th ranked rushing defense. I'm just curious what I'm missing here.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Is Sands really such a big deal?

Sands is by no means a superstar, but he has the size and bulk to fill our need for a big guy in front of Witherspoon to take off blocks. He's not worth breaking the bank for, but I wouldn't use his lack of starts as an indication of a lack of talent (it should be noted he has started in his career though). He's certainly not our only option but should be considered near the top of the list in a weak free agent DT group. I think other potential options include Keith Traylor, Ian Scott, Kenderick Allen, and Aubrayo Franklin.

Country is offline Registered User

Sands is exactly what we need on our defense.

To adress your concerns about his playing time. He came into the league undrafted and has been a long time developing. Right now he plays quit a bit for the Raiders.

The Rams need a real NT to stop the run. Sands is 6'7" 340lbs. registered 40 tackles 1 sack and 1 int. Sands will be able to keep the OL off of Spoon and protect him allowing him to make plays.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i sure hope that we dont wind up paying about the same money that we let pickett go for to get one of these guys.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Country is offline Registered User

Sands or Scott are the only two guys that can play the NT with any upside. Everyone else has never played or is ancient.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Lets be real for one second, who do we have that is better than Sands on our team? We need a big NT to protect our LB's. There are not alot of options out there but I think Sands is only going to get better

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, hope springs eternal. I'm just worried we will wind up overpaying because there are so few decent options. Honestly, I don't know how well Sands stacks up compared to Kennedy. In the few free agent rankings I've seen online, Sands has been ranked anywhere from the top few NTs available to below our own backup from last year, Jason Fisk. I'm inclined to believe the former. On the other hand...Maybe lack of starts doesn't need to be of concern, but there's still that fact that he was a practice squad guy who bounced around from KC to Green Bay to Oakland before finally earning any playing time at all. As recently as 2005, he was inactive for 7 games. I guess we can hope he's just a late bloomer, but the number of years it took him to get this far certainly gives me reason for pause. He is huge, and he does have upside, but I'm thinking if we do sign him, we're probably still going to need to look DT early on draft day. I want to believe he could help shore up the middle of the defensive line, but I'm not ready believe that just yet.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Sands is a solid tackle. Like Nick said, he's not a superstar, but there aren't too many FA options. You won't want your FO to break the bank over him, but if he's there at a reasonable price, they should pick him up. Then you c pair him up with a draft pick like Okoye. Now supposing they can also pick up a big name DE like Grant or Redding, you've got yourself a pretty good line that's hard to run on and can get a decent amount of pressure on the QB.

I wouldn't worry about him bouncing around, though. Some players take the circuitous route

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard