eauclare is offline Registered User

Saw a mock draft I would love

Round 1: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    Round 2: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
    Round 3: Josh Barrett, SS, ASU

Add 1-2 OL via FA and get the OL healthy next year. We still need a DE and speed WR, but not all areas can be addressed in one offseason. I think these moves could make the Rams very competitive in the weak NFC next year.

I welcome any thoughts on this draft.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up I wouldn't love it

I certainly don't like the first pick.

Jake Long is overrated, IMO.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Saw a mock draft I would love

No DE i don't like it at all DE precedes LB which were set at and Long is definitely overrated.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I could live with that; though I don't see Rivers or Barrett falling that far.

And what makes people think Long is overrated? He's not the prospect that Thomas was, but he's easily the best O-lineman on the board.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I could live with that; though I don't see Rivers or Barrett falling that far.

And what makes people think Long is overrated? He's not the prospect that Thomas was, but he's easily the best O-lineman on the board.
    yea I would also like to hear why Long is overrated,everything I read says he is the lineman to pick.

denverram is offline Registered User

Wrong Long with the 1st round:

1st Chris Long
    2nd Best available SS
    3rd O-Line Best option available

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    yea I would also like to hear why Long is overrated,everything I read says he is the lineman to pick.
    Do you guys understand the meaning of the word "overrated"?

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Do you guys understand the meaning of the word "overrated"?
    Overrated - verb - to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate

Now with that out of the way......I repeat myself; what makes people think Long is overrated?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Now with that out of the way......I repeat myself; what makes people think Long is overrated?
    I think it's more difficulty in projecction than it is overratedness. You'll hear some say Long does not project to be an elite Left Tackle, and traditionally, you don't see too many RT's taken that highly. Last one I can think of is (the bust) Mike Williams. Rob Gallery also played RT before switching to the left side.

Thus, even though he is the best lineman in the draft, concerns about where exactly he fits have led to questions about his being drafted that highly. Is he overrated as a player? No, at least, I don't think so.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I think it's more difficulty in projecction than it is overratedness. You'll hear some say Long does not project to be an elite Left Tackle, and traditionally, you don't see too many RT's taken that highly. Last one I can think of is (the bust) Mike Williams. Rob Gallery also played RT before switching to the left side.

Thus, even though he is the best lineman in the draft, concerns about where exactly he fits have led to questions about his being drafted that highly. Is he overrated as a player? No, at least, I don't think so.
    This is what I've heard also; namely that he does NOT project that well to LT. If this is the case then Jake Long is "overrated" as far as him being a top 10 pick in this draft. Regardless of the fact he may be the best OL prospect out there may just indicate that this is a very poor draft for OTs and especially for left tackles. I also don't subscribe to the belief that we just gotta draft OL on the first day. If we can get the O linemen we already have healthy a lot of our perceived OL problems will simply vanish.

WHAT SAY YE?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

yea what he said

39thebeast is offline Registered User

im not going to say he is not the best OT right now, but others like Ryan Clady and Jeff Otah might have a bigger upside and end up being better pros. He is overated as a LT, but as RT I think he will do just fine in the League. He does not have the quick feet needed to be a frachise left tackle and handle the speed rushers in the league like Dwight Freeny. If someone takes him at the number 3 the same spot as Joe Thomas can you hope for the same or close production to Thomas. The answer is no. Another thing people overlook is he plays in the zone blocking system that only a few teams use. Can his play at LT in the zone blocking system translate to LT in a man blocking system IMO no. This is just my opinion on the guy who knows he might end up the best LT or the worst thats the good thing about the draft

Let me start by saying I'm still in the "Chris Long" camp. Which, btw, draft guru Scott Wright has finally come around to in his latest mock. However, I'm not ready to say that Jake Long would be a bad pick. There is some question as to his ability to be an NFL LT, but that is some question, not NO. Worse case scenario, he's an RT. A position we've had trouble filling all year. And IMO, Barron is a better LT than RT anyway. Pace will not last forever, so WHEN he goes down, we now have two quality tackles in Barron and Long.

And while some interior lineman get pidgeon-holed in one blocking scheme or another, tackles rarely do. In fact, it was just a couple of years ago the Rams were running a zone scheme as well.

I'd rather have Chris Long, but the truth is, this team has such a talent deficit that there are any of 5-7 prospects that would find an immediate spot on this roster (ala Adam Carriker). Dorsey, Ellis, Laurenitis, Long, Long, Gholston, or Phillips all would have a fair shot of immediate contribution.

yodachu is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind either Long at this point. Our offensive line is complete garbage at this point and I think Long would be a nice addition. Even if he stinks at left tackle, maybe he can go to RT and replace the stink that is Alex Barron. On the other hand with Chris, we have a beast to replace the beast that is Lenord Little. Clifton Ryan, Victor Ayndanju or however u spell it, and Adam Carriker have show a lot of promise, and we add Long, we have a good, young defensive line with Little and Glover around to help teach them. So either way, I would be happy.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I think Keith Rivers is a guy that most experts have pegged as a first-round talent.