16 53.33%
  • Calvin Pryor, Louisville

14 46.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Scenario: Pryor or Clinton-Dix at #13

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Scenario: Pryor or Clinton-Dix at #13

Lets imagine that Les Snead's comments regarding the WR's currently on the roster means that Sammy Watkins is not taken by the Rams at #2. The Rams instead take one of the top two OTs (Matthews or Robinson) to sure up the position and help the OL. Let's say that the team picks up Alterrun Verner in FA to answer the CB questions.

That means the Rams decide to go safety with their pick at #13, and Ha'sean Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are both on the board

Who would you pick? Who do you think the Rams would pick?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Scenario: Pryor or Clinton-Dix at #13

Flip a coin. I don't think there's a hair's width difference between them. I'd be happy either way.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Like Hub, I'd be happy with either, though I still prefer Pryor. Would love seeing him take out the ***** and seahags wr corps one by one.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I don't want neither. Too much youth in the backend. I want a veteran FS that we can count on that can help align guys, and someone that won't be out of position. There are plenty to choose from.

For the hypothetical, I'd go Haha.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't want neither.
    So then you DO want one of them?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I don't want neither. Too much youth in the backend. I want a veteran FS that we can count on that can help align guys, and someone that won't be out of position. There are plenty to choose from.

For the hypothetical, I'd go Haha.
    Sosa,

Ideally I think I would like to go with a Jairus Byrd back there, simply so we could leave safety alone for this draft and get some experience at the back. However assuming the Rams were to pursue Verner as rumoured, there may not be enough cash left to then also pick up a top end free safety.
    If we were to pick up a FS in free agency, then the Watkins/best OT available at #13 combo appears to make a lot of sense

I quite like Clinton-Dix's range, and he is a solid tackler. And you could argue that TJ McDonald is quite a similar player to Pryor. However, i can just imagine Gregg Williams and Jeff Fisher salivating at the prospect of Pryor patrolling the back end and scaring receivers from coming over the middle.

My only concern would be hard hitting Pryor + Gregg Williams led defense = penalty flags through reputation

Unspoken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Sosa,

Ideally I think I would like to go with a Jairus Byrd back there, simply so we could leave safety alone for this draft and get some experience at the back. However assuming the Rams were to pursue Verner as rumoured, there may not be enough cash left to then also pick up a top end free safety.
    If we were to pick up a FS in free agency, then the Watkins/best OT available at #13 combo appears to make a lot of sense
    If we get a FS. Robinson then a WR, or trade down will be our picks.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think with youth throughout the secondary, we could use a free agent to man the FS position and supply the young guys with some leadership....

I really think a young safety is not worth using a high round 1 pick, especially since there are not any "Ed Reed" types in this draft.....

I rather have another corner early, and if we must get a safety via the draft bring in a few guys that can compete in later rounds and UFA --- Will Hill starts for the Giants and the whole league wrote him off...

Barry Waller is online now Registered User

I would deal down if I get a second round pick, and get whoever is left.

Now, if Gilbert is there also, he's my guy, maybe even Dennard or Verett.

That's why I would deal down a pick or two or a few, add a second or high third rounder, and take whichever top five DB remains.
    Barry Waller

Lets imagine that Les Snead's comments regarding the WR's currently on the roster means that Sammy Watkins is not taken by the Rams at #2. The Rams instead take one of the top two OTs (Matthews or Robinson) to sure up the position and help the OL. Let's say that the team picks up Alterrun Verner in FA to answer the CB questions.

That means the Rams decide to go safety with their pick at #13, and Ha'sean Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are both on the board

Who would you pick? Who do you think the Rams would pick?
    tomahawk, apparently it would be helpful for the board to re-read the original post. So, I'm posting it again.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Of these two candidates, I like Pryor's aggressiveness which I think will be coached to balance with other high-level skills of a DB. I just think that CP would help the Rams D to be tougher overall, an upgrade even as a rookie.
    lostsoul and Randart like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

It's highly unlikely that either of these safety's is a value at #13. Both need to be coached-up but at the late teens or early 20's I can see the value. That implies a trade from #13, which given what's likely to be available given our needs is very possible.

I voted for Pryor. I heard an impressive comparison on him this AM where he is likened to Dashon Goldson. Each of their Pro Days will be worth watching for any new developments. As has been said earlier in this thread, we may address the FS spot via FA and not necessarily J. Byrd. I still am curious what Rodney McLeod may evolve into after a year at the starting position and with Gregg Williams as the DC.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sosa,

Anyone of these guys here from FA would make me pleased with the FS spot:

Jairus Byrd
    T.J Ward
    Chris Clemons
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Stevie Brown
    Nick Collins
    Kerry Rhodes (Who absolutely should have been in the NFL last year - still an excellent player).

To me there would be too much youth at the backend. I hope we don't go after Verner, I'd rather spend that 9 million on Byrd or much less on another FA safety. We'll see how it plays out.
    richtree and Vinnie25 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Anyone of these guys here from FA would make me pleased with the FS spot:

Jairus Byrd
    T.J Ward
    Chris Clemons
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Stevie Brown
    Nick Collins
    Kerry Rhodes (Who absolutely should have been in the NFL last year - still an excellent player).

To me there would be too much youth at the backend. I hope we don't go after Verner, I'd rather spend that 9 million on Byrd or much less on another FA safety. We'll see how it plays out.
    I wouldn't be shocked if Williams wants to bring in Jenkins tho, it's the NFL, and coaches love bringing in their old guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast