• 4 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By Bald_81
  • 5 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Schefter: "Handful" of Scouts prefer RGIII

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Schefter: "Handful" of Scouts prefer RGIII

Per rotoworld

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "a handful of NFL scouts" prefer Baylor QB Robert Griffin III to presumptive No. 1 overall pick Stanford QB Andrew Luck.

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper recently insisted there was no chance Griffin could overtake Luck as this year's most coveted prospect, but it's clear there's going to be huge interest in the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner. It is more likely than not someone acquires the Rams' No. 2 overall pick to select RGIII.
    Great news for us...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Schefter: "Handful" of Scouts prefer RGIII

That is great news.

But how is this possible? I could have sworn all the talk was that Luck was the greatest QB prospect since the football was invented. His rookie year was going to be marked by the 1st QB to throw for 1,000 yards in a single game, hit a receiver in stride from 110 yards out, and walk on water.

You gotta love draft season hyperbole. As American as apple pie.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nothing will be definitive until the combine when hopefully both QB's will agree to throw to receivers other than the ones they've played with at Stanford and Baylor. I also believe it will come down to systems that determine their value. Luck being the more pocket-type passer and RGIII the more athletic type QB. Imagine the meetings in Indy if Jeff Saturday retires, as he anchors their O-Line.

HUbison, you are right the draft season hyperbole is as American as apple pie. Its also grist for the media to talk about once the season is over. You don't hear much about Kiper or McShay at other times of the year.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Nothing will be definitive until the combine when hopefully both QB's will agree to throw to receivers other than the ones they've played with at Stanford and Baylor. I also believe it will come down to systems that determine their value. Luck being the more pocket-type passer and RGIII the more athletic type QB. Imagine the meetings in Indy if Jeff Saturday retires, as he anchors their O-Line.

HUbison, you are right the draft season hyperbole is as American as apple pie. Its also grist for the media to talk about once the season is over. You don't hear much about Kiper or McShay at other times of the year.

Go Rams!
    Neither are going to throw at the combine. Theres no need to. All they will do is run, jump, and weight themselves.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Would those "handful" of scouts happen to come from St. Louis? Just saying.

THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Would those "handful" of scouts happen to come from St. Louis? Just saying.

There haven't been any NFL scouts in St. Louis for several years.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That is great news.

But how is this possible? I could have sworn all the talk was that Luck was the greatest QB prospect since the football was invented. His rookie year was going to be marked by the 1st QB to throw for 1,000 yards in a single game, hit a receiver in stride from 110 yards out, and walk on water.

You gotta love draft season hyperbole. As American as apple pie.
    A handful of scouts preferred Ryan Leaf to Peyton Manning as well, or Jimmy Clausen to Sam Bradford. Not trying to make any comparisons here, but if you ask enough people, you'll find disagreement about anything.

That doesn't mean Luck isn't widely considered one of the best quarterback prospects to come along in quite some time. He absolutely is. Thankfully, there are some ("a handful" however many that is) that prefer Griffin. Hopefully those scouts work for GMs that are easily convinced and willing to deal.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

A handful of scouts preferred Ryan Leaf to Peyton Manning as well, or Jimmy Clausen to Sam Bradford.
    A handful of scouts also preferred Jay Cutler to both Vince Young and Matt Leinert, or Aaron Rodgers to Alex Smith, or Drew Brees to Michael Vick also.
    That doesn't mean Luck isn't widely considered one of the best quarterback prospects to come along in quite some time. He absolutely is.
    Apparently some scouts don't even think he's the best prospect in this draft.

Nick, I agree that Luck is the top prospect in this draft. I'm just making a comment, snarky & smart-arse as it is, about the A) ridiculous levels of hype(rbole) surrounding Andrew Luck, and B) how quickly the "experts" can turn on a dime around this time of the year.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Like I've been saying, if I were the Colts, I would definitely look into Griffin. Although he has a different tool set than Luck, he is just as big of a NFL prospect as Luck should be.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

A handful of scouts also preferred Jay Cutler to both Vince Young and Matt Leinert, or Aaron Rodgers to Alex Smith, or Drew Brees to Michael Vick also.
    Exactly my point - you can find varying opinions in any draft class.

Nick, I agree that Luck is the top prospect in this draft. I'm just making a comment, snarky & smart-arse as it is, about the A) ridiculous levels of hype(rbole) surrounding Andrew Luck, and B) how quickly the "experts" can turn on a dime around this time of the year.
    I get that you think the hype is over the top. I hope you understand, though, that there are people (myself included) that have been following this for a while and believe he truly is one of the best to come around in a while, and that opinion is based on observation over time and analysis of a skill set, not mindless subscription to hyperbole from others.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Like I've been saying, if I were the Colts, I would definitely look into Griffin. Although he has a different tool set than Luck, he is just as big of a NFL prospect as Luck should be.
    Me too. The guys gonna be nasty in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I hope you understand, though, that there are people (myself included) that have been following this for a while and believe he truly is one of the best to come around in a while, and that opinion is based on observation over time and analysis of a skill set, not mindless subscription to hyperbole from others.
    Nick, you are the last person that I would ever think of buying into hype. I'm sure that your conclusion that Luck is one of the best prospects to come along in a long while is made after much thought.

I don't disagree with the path you took to your conclusion; just the conclusion itself.