Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: No Bradford/Rams contract before draft

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Jason Brown-Signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract. The deal contains $20 million guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus and the base salaries in years one and two. Brown's contract will void after the 2012 season if he reaches incentives based on wins and performance. The Rams can also "buy back" the year by adding $2.3 million to Brown's 2013 base salary. 2009: $4 million, 2010: $5 million, 2011: $4 million, 2012: $5 million, 2013: $6.2 million, 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $6.2 million (2009).

Ron Bartell-Signed a four-year, $25 million contract. The deal contains $13.6 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and Bartell's base salaries in years one and two. Another $3 million is available through incentives. 2009: $4.1 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: $5.2 million, 2012: $6.2 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $5.4 million (2009), $5.8 million (2010), $6.5 million (2011), $7.5 million (2012).

James Butler- Signed a four-year, $14 million contract. Another $3 million is available through incentives. 2009: $1.925 million, 2010: $2.5 million, 2011: $3 million, 2012: $3.5 million, 2013: Free Agent

Daniel Fells- 3/10/2010: Signed a one-year, $745,000 contract. The deal included an initial roster bonus of $50,000. Another $$25,000 is available through "likely to be earned" incentives. $730,000 more can be made through incentives, although they are "unlikely to be earned." 2010: $695,000, 2011: Free Agent

Why are these deals crafty? Most of them are backloaded or only guaranteed in the first few years. Rams aren't tied down if they don't perform up to their dollar amount. Bigger money comes off the cap as they get older and when they are younger and producing more you have them cheaply.
    Good for him. Setting aside the fact that Fells and Butler aren't that good, what has he done this year besides reach a crippling impasse with Atogwe?

Also, considering that Brown's our only consistent lineman at the moment, I'm concerned about the "Contract voids after 2012" clause.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    No one. I go to late first round and load up on potential starters who won't represent franchise-crippling expenditures if they bust out.
    Not only does this strategy take away our chances of getting any of the elite players in this draft (which is the only upside of drafting so high in the first place) it also requires multiple trade downs, thereby making it extremely difficult and unrealistic. If the Browns don't trade up to #1, nobody is going to.

Maybe you shouldn't pay attention to the draft since you don't seem to like any of the scenarios that actually have a realistic chance of panning out.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

No one. I go to late first round and load up on potential starters who won't represent franchise-crippling expenditures if they bust out.
    I really don't think it is possible to trade down to the late first, nor do I think it's wise to pass up all the 1st round talent so you can take your pick of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Good for him. Setting aside the fact that Fells and Butler aren't that good, what has he done this year besides reach a crippling impasse with Atogwe?

Also, considering that Brown's our only consistent lineman at the moment, I'm concerned about the "Contract voids after 2012" clause.
    I'm unsure how you can hold signing a solid (granted not amazing) starting safety to a 3 million a year contract against anyone. Let alone the TE who has shown much potential to a contract for less than 1 million.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I'm unsure how you can hold signing a solid (granted not amazing) starting safety to a 3 million a year contract against anyone. Let alone the TE who has shown much potential to a contract for less than 1 million.
    Point 1. If we take Berry, as some would suggest, are we demoting the $3 million a year Safety, or are we going to let Atogwe go? Also solid Safeties don't take bloody Safeties running back an INT from 5 yards deep in the End Zone

Point 2. If he has so much potential, why does everybody want to take Gresham if available in Round 2?

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I really don't think it is possible to trade down to the late first, nor do I think it's wise to pass up all the 1st round talent so you can take your pick of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
    Somehow this works for teams like the Patriots. Perhaps the opportunity cost of missing out on some purportedly elite talent can be balanced by the fact you aren't gambling $50-$60 million on everyone's iffy player-development programs. The Second and Third rounds have pretty good talent actually. If that rookie salary cap ever gets into place, I'll probably change my tune, but until that point once you get past the elite talent at your positions of utmost need, the pick isn't economical until around #15.

For what it's worth, I prefer sticking at the top over just trading down to Cleveland.

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

Somehow this works for teams like the Patriots. Perhaps the opportunity cost of missing out on some purportedly elite talent can be balanced by the fact you aren't gambling $50-$60 million on everyone's iffy player-development programs. The Second and Third rounds have pretty good talent actually. If that rookie salary cap ever gets into place, I'll probably change my tune, but until that point once you get past the elite talent at your positions of utmost need, the pick isn't economical until around #15.

For what it's worth, I prefer sticking at the top over just trading down to Cleveland.
    The second and third rounds do have good talent, but go look at past drafts, the bust rate after the first round goes up a lot, not to mention that the amount of impact players falls off completely.

saying that though, I'd have to agree with you on the cleveland's first round value. If the rams needed a tackle then it might be okay, but their draft position sucks, for us and the browns... The top 2, maybe three tackles are gone, dito Suh and mccoy, bradfords outta there; if berry doesn't fall to them then they are going to be paying a guy with marginally more talent for significanly more money then the guys after #7.

If the rams trade with the browns then they should trade down again, philly has talked about moving up to grab one of the elite safeties, and at their pick we have a chance at: Price, wilson, weatherspoon, gresham, williams, odrick, graham... all of these guys I wouldn't say are significanly worse then the guys we could get at 7 and all of them talented and fill needs.

Hopefully the rams stay at 1 though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12