throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Schefter: Rams chances of trading down "not as good as they'd like"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Schefter: Rams chances of trading down "not as good as they'd like"

Q: What are the chances St. Louis trades down from the second overall pick? -- Owen (Pennsylvania)

A: Not as good as the team would like, Owen. The Rams absolutely would be open to doing business and moving back in the draft, which would be consistent with how the franchise has acted in recent drafts. So far, it has traded every pick it has gotten from Washington in exchange for the pick that netted the Redskins Robert Griffin III, and with this being the last pick from that trade, why not make it a clean sweep? The issue is, the Rams have to get compensation they want and -- this is the important part -- wind up in a position in which they are comfortable enough to still be able to land a player they value.

If St. Louis traded the No. 2 pick to Detroit, hypothetically, there’s a clear drop-off in perceived value from the second-best player in the draft to the 10th. So while the Rams would like to trade the pick, and will do what they can to do so, the guess a couple of weeks out from the draft is that they ultimately will not move the pick.

kman is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Rams chances of trading down "not as good as they'd like"

I think the only realistic trade partner is Atlanta @ 6..if clowney is available

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Detroit at 10 would sting, we would have to get some serious compensation to drop down that far.

I do think the Rams will trade. There are different factors, teams not wanting to chance anything. The Rams got leapfrogged for Justin Blackmon, so maybe someone wanting Watkins will move up so they don't get leapfrogged. Seems people are thinking QBs = trade, and without them no dice. Not sure that is the case. Guess we'll see in a couple of weeks :-)

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Cleveland could try to get above Jacksonville, Oakland could deal up, as could Tampa Bay, so it's more about what they would be willing to pay to get the guy they want #1.
    laram0 likes this.
    Barry Waller

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice problem to have. None of the other NFL teams make us an offer that makes sense so Dag Nabit we have to use the 2nd pick in the draft.
    MauiRam likes this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Not surprised. I always thought the prevailing notion from everyone that the Rams would trade down no matter what was a bit overstated. If they don't get an offer they like I don't blame them for standing pat and picking at #2.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm finding myself less and less inclined to move down from No. 2.

At No. 13, on the other hand, a trade might make a lot of sense. By the Trade Value Chart, a move from 13 to the low 20s would yield a second round pick as compensation. That would be a great move for the Rams, as the dropoff of talent from 13 to 23 might not be very much at all.

Rambos is offline Registered User

the guess a couple of weeks out from the draft is that they ultimately will not move the pick.

The key for me is it's still a couple weeks out. The market will heat up the closer we get to the draft. Les said on Rich Eisen podcast that teams make gentlemen agreements prior to the draft based on if certain players are on the board. For all we know we could already have a couple of deals in place.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    the guess a couple of weeks out from the draft is that they ultimately will not move the pick.

The key for me is it's still a couple weeks out. The market will heat up the closer we get to the draft. Les said on Rich Eisen podcast that teams make gentlemen agreements prior to the draft based on if certain players are on the board. For all we know we could already have a couple of deals in place.
    Just what I was thinkin' Rambos! It is waaaay early and Scheff is just poking holes in the sky to keep his following happy! Kinda sad he left the NFL Network, wonder what that story is I think it was for more money... As many have said the value of our pick greatly depends on the Texicans, also only need one partner to fall in love with a guy to get good compensation for our #2 pick. I seriously doubt Les & Jeff are stressing about it just yet. I love that so many players have been attributed to our pick that should get some teams excited to move up. Time will tell, I would not be a bit surprised to see us double deal as in deal both our first rounders down. Then come back up into some of the lower rounds with those lower round picks like our 5th - 7th rounders the ones we can trade. Got to get rid of some of those pics 12 is too many and if we trade down in the first we will have a slew more I assume.
    Rambos likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

This is so dumb. Stupid reports like always because the draft gives to much time for speculation and every single scenario most be reported, and reported with hyperbole.

If the Rams want to trade there will be a ton of teams willing too for Clowney, Mack, Bortles, or an OT.

The cost / reward of moving down is not as great as the year when RGII is coming out , but the #2 pick will still be ultra valuable.

I still thing the Rams are more likely to trade out, than stay....nothing has changed but writers trying to find new stories.....

remember all this jazz about projections mean nothing once draft day is here and all these "experts" have no clue after the first 5 picks what will happen and the real scouts show how they value players...

The whole world of experts had Bridgewater as a lock top 3 pick, and now he magically went to a second rounder, the whole pre-draft talk is losing its buzz because it is filled with so much worthless information
    Randart likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Bills G.M. open about willingness to move up
    Posted by Darin Gantt on April 25, 2014

As chatter increases about the possibility of the Texans trading the first pick in the NFL Draft, the Falcons are the usual suspect for the other end of the deal.

But there might be more than one team interested.

Bills General Manager Doug Whaley said during an interview with WGR (and transcribed by the team’s Twitter account) that he’d be interested in picking higher than ninth.

“There are players on the board we won’t trade away from and players we would trade up to get,” Whaley said. “If we think a guy would help us make the playoffs, why wouldn’t we make the deal?“

Whaley spoke about South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, who would strengthen an already good line. Pairing him with Mario Williams and defensive tackles Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams would immediately create one of the league’s best lines.

It’s an interesting idea, and at least gives us something to talk about for the next two weeks.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

It has now been confirmed that the Falcons won't be trading up for Clowney:

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld
    Numerous league sources" tell CBS' Jason La Canfora the Falcons "remain very focused" on Jadeveon Clowney.
    Given that La Canfora is ALWAYS wrong, it can be concluded that the Falcons are not going to make a move for Jadeveon.
    Randart likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm finding myself less and less inclined to move down from No. 2.

At No. 13, on the other hand, a trade might make a lot of sense. By the Trade Value Chart, a move from 13 to the low 20s would yield a second round pick as compensation. That would be a great move for the Rams, as the dropoff of talent from 13 to 23 might not be very much at all.
    I don't mind that, because a solid CB or Safety will still be available with that pick.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

My dream scenario would involve Cleveland wanting to jump Jacksonville for their choice of QB. The Rams would get both of Cleveland's first-round picks in exchange for the 2 and the Rams second round pick. Three first-round picks this year would certainly be nice. :-)

PS-I just saw the latest mock draft on NFL.com. I will no longer be a Rams fan if these choices are made. 2014 NFL Mock Drafts : Mock draft 5.0: Manziel to Rams

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan876 View Post
    My dream scenario would involve Cleveland wanting to jump Jacksonville for their choice of QB. The Rams would get both of Cleveland's first-round picks in exchange for the 2 and the Rams second round pick. Three first-round picks this year would certainly be nice. :-)

PS-I just saw the latest mock draft on NFL.com. I will no longer be a Rams fan if these choices are made. 2014 NFL Mock Drafts : Mock draft 5.0: Manziel to Rams
    Don't worry about that mock. Its been widely discussed here that this particular mock was taken from out of the rectal area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast