Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

From Rotoworld, citing the NFL Network...

The Rams are "making a lot of noise" about LSU DT Glenn Dorsey, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Dorsey will be in St. Louis in mid-April for a two-day visit. The Rams smokescreened heavily with Ted Ginn Jr. last year, so we wouldn't read into this much. They're quite a bit more needy at the defensive end position.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

I know we are more needed at DE, and this could just be big smokescreen, but I wouldn't at all upset landing Dorsey. THis guy is a beast! I would love for him to be a RAM!

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Same here Ramer, but as much as I love Dorsey, I love Gholston that much more. Maybe we try to trade down a few spots to take him?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If we hadn't gotten what seems to be two good DT's last year, I'd love to grab Dorsey, as I think that he'll be amazing in this league. Provided his legs are ok.

But the fact is, unless we don't think that Ryan can play, we don't need a DT this year and we DO need a few DE's, maybe a corner, some offensive line depth, a wide receiver, a few tight ends...

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I hear you Teke, but would you pass on a player like Steven Jackson because you drafted a player like Kevin Jones the year before? Probably a very poor example, but I'm sure you get the point. Just because a team has decent or good players at a position dosen't mean they should pass on a player that can impose their will against another team. DE is a glaring need, but the real question is where do you rank talent against need? BPA, no matter what position.

I'm sure that this is all just a bunch of smoke signals being sent to Atlanta or someone else down in the order to strike up intrest in moving up. Maybe futile, but you cant fault them for trying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Schefter, who is one of the most blantant "speculate for the sake of a scoop" reporters, apparently missed the part where the Rams wined and dined Vernon Gholston and when Scott Linehan was the only NFL Head Coach at Chris Long's Pro Day workout.

I can buy that its a four man race (look at my sig!), but if Schefter or anyone else tells you they know today who the Rams are most likely to pick, they are merely guessing.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Good. Dorsey is the smoke screen this year. I really hope he doesnt get drafted by us.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I can see this being a smokescreen because the Rams are aware the chances of Dorsey going #1 at this point are basically none, so they could use this to their advantage to try and lure someone like Atlanta or Oakland to trade up and get him.

Or, on the other hand, with Dorsey getting so much bad rep the last month, Gholston could be the Rams true smokescreen. His value is at an all-time high and the Rams would probably have alot more suitors to trade down and then grab Dorsey unless they are convinced that Atlanta would take him.

So much leading up to the draft, so little truth to anything. If I had to speculate, the Rams have Dorsey rated as the best defender in the draft at this point and they want to figure out whether it would be worth it to take him after drafting Carriker last year. A good pro day would make that decision that much tougher, and of course if he checks out after their medical tests.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Dorsey, Gholston, C. Long, J. Long.......

You don't necessarily draft to win now.....and the Rams certainly don't have all the talent to beat teams like the Packers, Cowboys, Giants, or even Arizona lately so with that being said....

The Rams really can't lose in this year's draft. ANY ONE of those guys are going to play a long time in the NFL.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Dorsey, Gholston, C. Long, J. Long.......

You don't necessarily draft to win now.....and the Rams certainly don't have all the talent to beat teams like the Packers, Cowboys, Giants, or even Arizona lately so with that being said....

The Rams really can't lose in this year's draft. ANY ONE of those guys are going to play a long time in the NFL.
    True, they will all play a long time in the NFL, though I think the Rams can compete if healthy and if they draft well. I'm praying they get Chris Long, I hear so much about his versatility. I was watching NFL Live and they were talking about him playing 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE both very well, and how some coaches think he could play best inside or even at LB. I really want this guy to play DE for us and I hope they use Dorsey as the smokescreen. Even if we had to trade down I would still be mostly happy with Gholoston. Dorsey is great, but not only do we have Carriker and Ryan (who seems very impressive), but we cut James Hall and Leonard Little is I believe 33 years old. These add up to why we should get C. Long, and Dorsey has had knee issues in the past. I still think he will pan out great, though Chris Long is the way to go. He is among the best prospects and maybe the safest pick.
    Last edited by prof22693; -03-20-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    True, they will all play a long time in the NFL, though I think the Rams can compete if healthy and if they draft well. I'm praying they get Chris Long, I hear so much about his versatility. I was watching NFL Live and they were talking about him playing 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE both very well, and how some coaches think he could play best inside or even at LB. I really want this guy to play DE for us and I hope they use Dorsey as the smokescreen. Even if we had to trade down I would still be mostly happy with Gholoston. Dorsey is great, but not only do we have Carriker and Ryan (who seems very impressive), but we cut James Hall and Leonard Little is I believe 33 years old. These add up to why we should get C. Long, and Dorsey has had knee issues in the past. I still think he will pan out great, though Chris Long is the way to go. He is among the best prospects and maybe the safest pick.
    Thank you for saying exactly what I was going to say. It's good to see some people on this board thing Dorsey is the last thing we need next to McFadden and Ryan.

We already have two young DT's. Why waste our first round pick, on a player who may end up to be just as good as Ryan and Carriker. We won't know how good he may perform in the NFL until he is actually a part of a team. And it's not worth the risk, when we already have two good DT's on our team.

We NEED! ABSOLUTELY NEED! a new DE. Little is about to retire, there is a giant hole on the otherside of the line. We need to address this now. No we can't just move Carriker back to the outside again. He's done so well in the middle. It's not worth risking.

Well, since we are talking about "needs", we need more than just a DE. We need LB's, WR's, S, O line......

People, we don't draft to win that year. If it happens great, but it's highly unlikely that it will. Most of the time when that happens the team is usually just one or two players away from being very good. We are 3-4 players away from being average. Don't sell Dorsey so short, that guy is a monster and will play in the NFL for a very long time.

Well, since we are talking about "needs", we need more than just a DE. We need LB's, WR's, S, O line......

People, we don't draft to win that year. If it happens great, but it's highly unlikely that it will. Most of the time when that happens the team is usually just one or two players away from being very good. We are 3-4 players away from being average. Don't sell Dorsey so short, that guy is a monster and will play in the NFL for a very long time.

I know what youre saying...but so will Carriker and Ryan...

So, what's wrong with having 3 very good DT's? The Giants did pretty well with that rotation. That could even make Ryan that much better. I think Ryan will be more of a situational DT when it comes right down to it, and having Carriker and Dorsey as building blocks....man.

Think about it. We wouldn't have to worry about drafting a DT for quite awhile. We could really start to build this defense with any of the guys out there where we pick in Round 1 but if the Rams do draft Dorsey I promise you it isn't that bad of a deal.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So, what's wrong with having 3 very good DT's? The Giants did pretty well with that rotation. That could even make Ryan that much better. I think Ryan will be more of a situational DT when it comes right down to it, and having Carriker and Dorsey as building blocks....man.

Think about it. We wouldn't have to worry about drafting a DT for quite awhile. We could really start to build this defense with any of the guys out there where we pick in Round 1 but if the Rams do draft Dorsey I promise you it isn't that bad of a deal.
    True, the Giants did do well with three good DT's... and two all-pro DE's in Osi and Strahan. Whether or not Ryan becomes more of a situational DT or not, doesn't change the fact that we have four DT's from last year(AC, Ryan, Glover and Wroten) and only two DE's. I would love if we could pick up Dorsey, but the need is too great elsewhere to pick up a player that high at a position that could be set for the season if it needed to. I guess the question is, who plays DT and who doesn't, and who the hell plays DE? If the answer is round two, then who plays WR3? If you answer Hall, who the hell plays SLB? Culberson, Draft? Ok, who is depth? What about Chavous' replacement? What about another possible starter on the offensive line? We have many needs that require players who can play a lot of time, while we still have all of our DT's from last year. Why replace one of them when we have glaring holes elsewhere?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast