Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Ok, help me out here. Glover and Wroten? Do you guys honestly think those two will be around in 2009? I don't. Look, I'm not necessarily petitioning the Rams to pick Dorsey but honestly I wouldn't be upset. I don't think we have the talent to win in 08, no matter who we draft with the 2nd pick in the draft. I'm looking more down the road at 2009 and a DT rotation of Dorsey, Carriker and Ryan sounds very good to me.

    The Rams aren't the same team they were in 1998. They had a solid D but the O needed help. This Rams team doesn't have either. There isn't going to be a quick fix to this. It's going to take last years draft, this years AND next years to make it happen. So by looking at glaring needs now to win in 2008 I think is a big mistake.

    Could be wrong, Lord knows I have been in the past. However, if the Rams do draft Dorsey please relax and refrain from the sky is falling posts because I do believe he'll be ok. So will Jake Long, or Gholston or Chris Long. whoever the Rams sign.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-20-2008 at 05:45 PM.


  2. #17
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    I have to agree with TX on this one , we are drafting for the future and not to win this year,I would however think seriously about Jake Long, I really consider him a sure thing and since we can't be sure about Pace and his future this could be the best choice.

  3. #18
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,026
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Ok, help me out here. Glover and Wroten? Do you guys honestly think those two will be around in 2009?
    Not sure, but AC and Ryan will. If Wroten get one last chance, he may you never know. But you are talking about, two more drafts and one more complete FA to add players.

    I don't think we have the talent to win in 08, no matter who we draft with the 2nd pick in the draft.
    I disagree, we were 8-8 in 06 and last year, was well unreal to say the least. We have our playbook back with Al, the O line will be back, SJ is in a conttract year, he will go off they all do. Ryan and AC have played a full year. Add one of the four blue chip rookies and what really is the first pick in the second round due to the cheaters, we will get two players that will make an impact.

  4. #19
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I have to agree with TX on this one , we are drafting for the future and not to win this year,I would however think seriously about Jake Long, I really consider him a sure thing and since we can't be sure about Pace and his future this could be the best choice.
    I agree with TX as well, in that we aren't the same team we were in '98. It will take us multiple years most likely to rebuild ourselves into a playoff team. However, my point is that we found ourselves two good tackles last year. Wroten could certainly be around in 2009, Glover probably not. We can supplement his loss by a mid round pick NEXT year. THIS year we need two DE's so that we have them for the future. Unless you plan on running a three DT set constantly or plan on getting rid of one of our DT's this year, I don't see the sense in getting another one. It's the same deal with getting a high round QB, they just eat up a roster spot.

    Now, I won't complain if we pick up Dorsey, as he's a solid player, I'll just be upset unless we switch full time to a 3-4 and play Dorsey and Carriker as DE's. I agree with JK as well, in that if Chris Long is gone, I would be happy with Jake Long. By the time we rebound completely, who knows if Pace will still be around. Long does give us that security, however, with this class of OT's so deep, I just feel it's not a need in the first round like DE is.

  5. #20
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,355
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    People, we don't draft to win that year.
    But finding a guy who can help immediately as well as be a guy we count on for the next decade would be an added bonus. Let's not pretend that we're drafting a DE to win now and then to not have an impact in the future. Whomever we draft is going to be counted on as a player on this team for a long time. If you can also address an immediate need in the process, that's a bonus.

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    So, what's wrong with having 3 very good DT's? The Giants did pretty well with that rotation.
    This really isn't an accurate assessment of New York's situation, in my opinion. They had three very good DEs (Osi, Strahan, and Tuck) and were able to move Tuck inside on occasion in order to get him on the field. He isn't a defensive tackle, but rather an end who can slide inside.

    Besides Tuck as a situational player, New York's actual personnel at defensive tackle is solid but hardly impressive. The list of names are Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, William Joseph, and Jay Alford. Can't say I'm blown away by anything there.

    Pointing to the Giants emphasizes the importance of good play along the defensive line, which I'm sure no one would argue with. But in my opinion, using the Giants as an example for why the Rams should be considering Dorsey as a second overall pick just doesn't add up when you look at their actual personnel.

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, help me out here. Glover and Wroten? Do you guys honestly think those two will be around in 2009? I don't.
    If that's the case, we can replace them with low cost situational players, since that's what they are.

    This argument has been made before, but I'm still waiting for someone to provide a convincing explanation of it. Glover and Wroten are back-ups. If they leave, we need to replace them with... back-ups. Not by spending a second overall pick at the position.

    Because if we do that, then we shift Carriker back to the nose so Dorsey can play UT. And when we do that, we're still left trying to replace Wroten and Glover as UT back-ups in 2009 in your scenario. Using these two as some kind of reason in Dorsey's favor really doesn't make sense to me at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Now, I won't complain if we pick up Dorsey, as he's a solid player, I'll just be upset unless we switch full time to a 3-4 and play Dorsey and Carriker as DE's.
    Taking Dorsey to play him as a 3-4 end would be a pretty big waste of his talent, IMO. His inability to really fit into that scheme is one of the reasons why he's basically not an option for Miami anymore.

  6. #21
    GameTime is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    St Louis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    I have to disagree with you Avenger on Shefter.

    This guy is almost always on the money. He said Art shell was out and look what happened. You can probably dig into the archives and prove me wrong if you want to, but I feel he is usually correct.

    He did say it could be a smokescreen. (which it probably is)

  7. #22
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,546
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    I have to disagree with you Avenger on Shefter.

    This guy is almost always on the money. He said Art shell was out and look what happened. You can probably dig into the archives and prove me wrong if you want to, but I feel he is usually correct.
    He's wrong quite often, actually. His best friend is Lee G. Sors, who is mentioned in virtually all of his articles.

  8. #23
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    I think EVERYONE is missing my point. I'm not saying draft Dorsey, but what I am saying is what's the harm? If Dorsey is all what he was in college, he's going to be one of the dominant DT's for years in the NFL. This is where the "draft is a crapshoot" of my argument comes in. When you focus only on one area to draft with your first pick, you better hit a home run with it. Too many times teams have gone into Round 1 "needing a QB, needing an OT, needing ___" and missing when they could have taken the best player on the board and that player turned out to play a long time in the NFL. The graveyard is littered with Tim Couch's, Tony Mandarich's, and Ryan Leaf's.

    Alright, I give. UNCLE, I SAID UNCLE.

    Only draft a DE. Nothing else. Don't even look at other "needs" this team really has. Just go DE in Round 1. If not, I'll just sit here and pout.

    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-21-2008 at 09:27 AM.

  9. #24
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,565
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Alright, I give. UNCLE, I SAID UNCLE.
    Come on, tx. Keep the faith brother. I'm with ya.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #25
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,355
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think EVERYONE is missing my point. I'm not saying draft Dorsey, but what I am saying is what's the harm?
    Well, this is the thing. Drafting Dorsey isn't going to destroy this franchise, nor will it be a horrible personnel move. But if I had to list the five best options of how we use our second overall pick, while Dorsey would be on that list, he'd admittedly be near the bottom of it because I think there are better options available in terms of combining talent, grade, and present and future need. So in effect, you're passing on those players and an opportunity to address those key areas to take a player who, while talented, plays at a position where you already have a talented first-round player. In order to do that, you'd have to consider Dorsey to be so much more talented than those other prospects that you just couldn't justify passing on him. Maybe some feel that way; I'm not a subscriber to that opinion, though I do think he's talented. So it's not as much of an issue about some kind of harm done by drafting Dorsey but rather a missed opportunity to acquire another player who addresses a larger concern.

  11. #26
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Tx, I understand where you're coming from. And who knows, maybe Ryan was a one year wonder and we do need another starting DT, however, IF we drafted Dorsey at #2, what would the rest of our draft look like and how would you work the defensive line, assuming hat then we have a five man rotation at DT and three DE's now. I don't think it'll sink the franchise to get a once in a decade player like he's supposed to be either, but sometimes needs come before wants.

  12. #27
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    there we go. Thanks. I don't know how the draft will come out, and I won't know even if we choose Chris Long or Gholston at the #2 pick.

    I do know one thing, I'll have to learn to spell VG's name right if he's chosen.



    Guys, for me predicting the draft is about as accurate as predicting how "the woman" is going to react to a present. You think you know until you give her that vacuum cleaner or stair stepper and begin to realize it's awfully cold down in the basement.

  13. #28
    rams4life88's Avatar
    rams4life88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    ****ing Adam Schefter. lol.

  14. #29
    Dominating D's Avatar
    Dominating D is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, help me out here. Glover and Wroten? Do you guys honestly think those two will be around in 2009? I don't. Look, I'm not necessarily petitioning the Rams to pick Dorsey but honestly I wouldn't be upset. I don't think we have the talent to win in 08, no matter who we draft with the 2nd pick in the draft. I'm looking more down the road at 2009 and a DT rotation of Dorsey, Carriker and Ryan sounds very good to me.

    The Rams aren't the same team they were in 1998. They had a solid D but the O needed help. This Rams team doesn't have either. There isn't going to be a quick fix to this. It's going to take last years draft, this years AND next years to make it happen. So by looking at glaring needs now to win in 2008 I think is a big mistake.

    Could be wrong, Lord knows I have been in the past. However, if the Rams do draft Dorsey please relax and refrain from the sky is falling posts because I do believe he'll be ok. So will Jake Long, or Gholston or Chris Long. whoever the Rams sign.
    Tx did you feel the same way in '99.

    This team has alot of talent, for example

    Pace when healthy is a top Tackle.
    Jackson is a dominate RB
    Bulger is a top QB in the league when healthy and protected
    Holt do I have to say anything?
    Carricker is a young talent
    Little jury is still out on him...
    OJ gets better every year
    Hill I know your personal favorite but he has improved when healthy every year
    Witherspoon nuff said
    Pisa? Helath
    Richie and Alex have steadily improved

    Lots of talent and the NFC is not exactly dominate. Can the Rams contend with Seattle, Arizona, and San Fran... I believe we can....
    Last edited by Dominating D; -03-22-2008 at 01:31 PM.

  15. #30
    smitheRAM's Avatar
    smitheRAM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    IDaho
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Schefter: Rams "making a lot of noise" about Dorsey

    As ugly as we were last year I think that you draft to win NOW! or at least hoping that the players you draft in the first 3 rounds can be a upgrade or contribute in a need area, making you better now. You don't pick best player on the board even if you think he'll be great someday if it is not a need area. DT is not a great area of need for us. Devaney makes it sound like with the addition of Bell the OL is healed up and ready to go. So DE is our greatest need. Then WR IMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live, November 6, 2007
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
  2. PaRamFan48 Chistmas '99
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-18-2006, 11:18 PM
  3. Rams History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -02-08-2006, 03:36 AM
  4. RamView, 10/2/2005: Giants 44, Rams 24 (Long)
    By MFranke in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-03-2005, 08:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •