Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Schefter: Rams wining and dining Jake Long

According to Adam Schefter on the NFL Network (heard it myself in the car), the Rams are wining and dining Jake Long tonight in preparation for tomorrow's Michigan pro day. Supposedly Linehan, Zygmunt, Devaney, and Softli are all attending this dinner with Long. I don't recall hearing this, but according to Rotoworld, Schefter said Jake Long won't make it out of the top three picks. Rotoworld also claims that ESPN's John Clayton as recently as today thinks Jake will go to Miami with the top pick.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Rams wining and dining Jake Long

If Miami takes Jake we take Chris, if they take Chris we take Jake. They can't get them both!

I heard Marc is buying...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I see a win/win situation here,although I am kinda leaning toward Jake Long at the present time,he is just to big of a monster to pass up.

keith m. klink Guest

WHAT IF the RAMS took DORSEY after miami took JAKE . hhaaaaaa . i need a shot .

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Dinner with Jake Long

It's become "clear" that Michigan OT Jake Long will not get past the top three picks in the draft, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
    The Rams wined and dined Long on Thursday, bringing GM Bill Devaney, personnel man Tony Softli, president of football ops Jay Zygmunt, and coach Scott Linehan. That's just about everyone with any say in the organization. ESPN's John Clayton said Thursday he thinks Jake will go No. 1 to Miami.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

So if Miami takes Jake Long (and with their lack of OL, and especially OT, who's to say they wouldn't) that sets up the ultimate quandry: Do the Rams take the more polished Chris Long or the player with possibly more upside, Vernon Gholston? And we all probably thought that having the 2nd overall pick would make things more simple for us, didn't we? Well don't worry we've still got over a month to hash all of this out!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Dinner with Jake Long

Already posted Wraith. And this is just common procedure. I mean, the ***** dined with Braylon Edwards and Antrel Rolle prior to the 2005 Draft and were negotiating contracts with them to raise leverage with Alex Smith. I am happy they dined with Gholston as well and I'm sure they will with Chris Long and Dorsey as well.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Chris Long or the player with possibly more upside, Vernon Gholston?
    Not even close, C. Long. Sure Gholston will get more sacks. But can he play the run?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Not even close, C. Long. Sure Gholston will get more sacks. But can he play the run?
    he can play the run just not as good as long and he definately have half the motor

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    So if Miami takes Jake Long (and with their lack of OL, and especially OT, who's to say they wouldn't) that sets up the ultimate quandry: Do the Rams take the more polished Chris Long or the player with possibly more upside, Vernon Gholston? And we all probably thought that having the 2nd overall pick would make things more simple for us, didn't we? Well don't worry we've still got over a month to hash all of this out!!

WHAT SAY YE?
    In fact, I've been saying that it seems that Miami will take Jake Long because they're still down a starting OT, namely a LT as their starter of last year is really a RT trying to play LT. I really don't know why they ever decided to cut their starting RT anyway. Checking the free agent tracker n ESPN, they actually had three UFA OT's and they have not resigned none of them and no new ones. The Rams have resigned Goldberg and Gorin at least, and have Barron and Pace of course.

As for the choice between Gholston and Long, it's no contest. Long. He may not be quite as fast, but he plays with better strength that Gholston does and gets better leverage. He plays the whole game hard and won't let up. He's a Ray Lewis in the locker room and on the field and he's Peyton manning in the film room. Both Longs won't last outside the top three.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yep, even if they have no desire to draft a certain player, if it works as a smokescreen or a negotiating tactic teams will workout and interview and dine with high profile players, like us with Flacco.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yep, even if they have no desire to draft a certain player, if it works as a smokescreen or a negotiating tactic teams will workout and interview and dine with high profile players, like us with Flacco.
    Exactly. The Rams don't want anyone to know what they're going to do and from all the stories out there about the players they covet, it's working.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Oh man, I don't like this move at all! This is going to eat into our cap something severe. Think about it. We bought VG dinner the other night. That's okay, but now we're buying Jake Long dinner and he's got VG by about 50 pounds! Surely he ate more, which the IRS may deem as salary, and the Rams would be forced to count against the cap.

Holy poop, if this team brings in Frank Okam, our cap will be in the red!

Why couldn't you have taken them to the Golden Corral buffet, Linehan, you idiot!?!? Dear Heavens, the season is lost!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

THEY are bringing in dorsey and ellis next week , but they have too eat at wendy's dollar menu . Which will still cost us about $ 1200.00 dollars against the cap .

What happened to the good old days when a team would call a prospect and say , HEY if you sign with us we'll give ya $ 300.oo bucks . whata ya say pal .

shower beers is offline Registered User

I wonder what a man like Jake Long orders when he goes out to dinner.

I'd hate to pick up that bill...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast