Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ENN107 is offline Registered User

Schefter: Saints Looking To Trade Up With Rams? McFadden on top of Rams' board?

This from pro football talk

The conventional wisdom around the NFL is that no team wants to trade into the first few picks in the draft because of the exorbitant salaries and signing bonuses that top picks receive. But one team might be looking to buck that conventional wisdom.
    Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Saints have made informal inquiries about what it would take to acquire the Rams’ first-round pick, No. 2 overall.
    The Saints currently own the 10th overall pick, and under the draft trade chart that has been used for the last two decades, the Saints would have to give up a bounty of draft picks to move from No. 10 to No. 2. But some teams are circulating a new trade chart, and on that chart, a trade of the Saints’ first- and second-round picks for the Rams’ first-round pick would appear reasonable, if possibly a little too favorable to the Saints.
    If the Saints did make the trade, what would they do with the No. 2 pick? Schefter reports that New Orleans wants one of the draft’s top defensive players, likely LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey or Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston.
    If the trade doesn’t go through, the Rams could take Dorsey, Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long or possibly pull a surprise and select Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-16-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Removing links

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Saints Looking To Trade Up With Rams?

Wow...just reading that last part makes me believe this whole thing is a joke.

We won't even consider taking McFadden. The guy will cost more than SJax and he hasn't played a second in the NFL.

The Rams are most likely taking Chris Long if he's there. Now I can understand if C Long is gone because of Miami, but its most likely going to be him.

I don't even think the Rams are going to trade down. They want one of the best, and at #10, they won't be there.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Can't say I'm crazy about the idea of dropping down eight spots for a second round pick. The Saints picked 10th, so you have to assume at that point you've missed out on both Longs, Gholston, Dorsey, Ellis, and perhaps even Derrick Harvey.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

This can't be true. A make or break year for Linehan and he drops to #10 and misses on an elite player? Not gonna happen. The only player I can see us taking in that spot is Keith Rivers or Ryan Clady, and that doesn't really sound like a good bet to me no matter if we have an extra 2nd round pick.

starfoxx is offline Registered User

Saints Looking to Trade Up with Rams?

Article: ProFootballTalk.com - SAINTS LOOKING TO TRADE UP WITH RAMS?[/url]

Three first day picks does sound tempting. We could take Derrick Harvey with the 10th pick overall. Then take a wide receiver at 33 overall. I don't see James Hardy falling to the second, but if he does, we have to take him. If he doesn't slip into the second round, I have Jordy Nelson ranked as the next best receiver. Highly underated, 100+ receptions 1,600+ receiving yards 12+ Touchdowns in 2007.Than with the Saints pick we take Offensive Tackle Anthony Collins from Kansas. A versatile athlete who can play every position on the line..........

......that doesn't sound to bad.

But, with the talented players that are going to be taken in the first 5 picks, I can't pass that opportunity up. I still think Chris Long is going to breath some fresh air into or defense.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-16-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: No links!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

What if they put Will Smith in the trade? And also the second rounder? That is a bit more intriguing...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here is Schefter's actual article from NFL.com. Because the article covers both the Saints rumor and the McFadden nugget, I edited the thread title to contain both so we wouldn't have multiple threads going.

Saints explore trading up in the draft
    By Adam Schefter | NFL Network
    Posted: 13 minutes ago

Bill Parcells and the Miami Dolphins have been unable to find a trading partner for the No. 1 pick. But the St. Louis Rams now have options at No. 2.

The Saints have made inquiries with the Rams about what it would take to go from New Orleans' scheduled 10th overall pick all the way up to St. Louis' at No. 2.

Based on the antiquated NFL draft point chart, the Rams pick at No. 2 is worth 2,600 points. The Saints pick at No. 10 is worth 1,300, and their second round pick is worth another 490, meaning New Orleans is going to have to come up with more than its two first-day picks.

New Orleans is looking at add a stud defensive player, and it could opt for LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, a pick that would be enormously popular in that area, or even Ohio State linebacker Vernon Gholston, who would be a terror on the turf in the Superdome.

People who have spoken with the Saints insist the talks are not substantiative, more informal, but the fact that one team has pursued moving up is noteworthy. This year, no team has been willing to move up to Miami's spot at No. 1, even New Orleans. The Saints are unwilling to pay what it would take to satisify the Dolphins or the player picked at No. 1.

In previous years, teams have declined to move into the top 10 picks. The last time there was any type of blockbuster trade was 2004, when the Chargers and Giants were involved in a trade that featured quarterbacks Philip Rivers and Eli Manning.

As interested as the Saints might be in moving up, the Rams are in no rush to relinquish their pick. They recognize that they're going to come away with help for one of their lines -– either Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long or Dorsey.

In an upset, the Rams could always opt for the top-rated player on their board -– running back Darren McFadden. But it's up to the Saints -– or any other team that's interested –- to entice the Rams with an offer that is good enough to get them to surrender the No. 2 overall pick.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

i wouldnt make the deal for a 1 and 2. now if they want to give me a #1 next year, i might be very interested, but as someone just pointed out, there is no next year for linehan.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Saints Looking to Trade Up with Rams?

That is a long way to drop especially with so much talent that fits our needs at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Article: ProFootballTalk.com - SAINTS LOOKING TO TRADE UP WITH RAMS?[/url]

Three first day picks does sound tempting. We could take Derrick Harvey with the 10th pick overall. Then take a wide receiver at 33 overall. I don't see James Hardy falling to the second, but if he does, we have to take him. If he doesn't slip into the second round, I have Jordy Nelson ranked as the next best receiver.
    Hardy is not only a character risk, but his strengths strike me as almost exactly what we expect a healthy Bennett to be: tall, relatively fast for his size, and good redzone threat...but also slow off the line, not a deep threat, and inconsistent. I do see how having three picks in the first two rounds would be tempting, though.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Saints Looking To Trade Up With Rams? McFadden on top of Rams' board?

McFadden on the top of the board? Is it the board of least likley to be drafted? That's real McShay.

Wolf is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Saints Looking To Trade Up With Rams? McFadden on top of Rams' board?

Wow...can you imagine how many houses would be burned if we took McFadden?

So...smoke screen for Raiders possibly? Just curious. Consider they'd want McFadden. We could nab a 3rd.

It'd look like this.

Dolphins - Jake Long
    Raiders - McFadden
    Falcons - Dorsey
    Rams - Chris Long

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Mcfadden's on top of Schefter's list, so he's on top of everyone's. Unless we plan on getting rid of Jax, there's no reason to pick McFadden with all of our other needs. Even the Dorsey supporters will go need over talent on this one.

The new trade chart seems like crap to me. #2 is LESS valuable than #10 and #41? That's bull honky. How about #10 and #30, which is 1920. That could be closer to reality.

The Saints are perfectly welcome to make an offer, but they better be handing out something for it. How about this and next year's 1st and this years 2nd? Failing that, we need to talk players. They want a defensive player, well so do we. #10, Will Smith, as I think he's on his last contract year, and #41. Not too many other people on their team I want.

I'd take Devery Henderson, Will Smith, Jamal Brown. Not in one deal, but one of them.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I forgot about Jammal Brown. I'd certainly take him, but I doubt they'd be willing to part with their franchise left tackle. Henderson's not worth more than a late 3rd, 4th round pick, tops. I did think about him though, as he's young and a burner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast