View Poll Results: Which of these schools of thought do you fall into regarding the draft?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • We need a pass rusher, so its got to be a DE (J.Anderson, G.Adams, J.Moss or C.Johnson)

0 0%
  • It all starts up front at DT, so its got to be Okoye or Branch, if available.

7 17.50%
  • Best DL on the board, whether its a DE or DT.

13 32.50%
  • LB will make the biggest and quickest impact - P.Willis is the guy.

1 2.50%
  • Best defensive player available, even if not front 7 - LaRon Landry, maybe?

9 22.50%
  • Best player available, even if its an offensive player.

10 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Re: Schools of Thought on the Draft (where do you fall)

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, first round talent is what it is....first round talent. If you could snag a QB of the future in Brady Quinn....why wouldn't you?

I guess I'm more like what Nick said....it's a combination of talent on the board vs need. The Rams have a desperate need for a DT but if Branch and Okoye are off the board at 13 do you take Tank Tyler just because you need a DT? I think at 13, the best player left on anyone's board is going to be defensive anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Willis isn't there for the Rams at that slot.
    My God, how many games do have to lose 28-21. "Why wouldn't we draft Brady Quinn". B'cuz we wouldn't help us!!! At all. Unless you traded him for a top defensive prospect. Ridiculous!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I think that our #1 priority should be a DT, but if there isn't anyone there and we would have to pick someone like Tank Tyler who shouldn't be going in round 1 then we should pass on him. Instead we should go for a big strong bulky lb that we have been missing and craving on this team. If we do get a LB round 1 I think then that round 2 it's a must that we take a DT.
    What big, strong, bulky LB did you have in mind in round 1?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink
    In my opinion, 1st round is BPA, 2nd and 3rd, should be best player of a need position.4th -5th should be best players at a need /less need, that would be depth players who could make the team. the 6th and 7th round are some of my favorite. these are the finding a diamond guy's. these guy's know they have to fight for the right. and that usually means OFFENSIVE LINE guy's. these rounds are where you find tough and sturdy G -C- and some RB's.
    That tends to be my way of thinking as well, but the problem with BPA is that you can wind up doing things that don't really help the team that much any way you slice it. If you used a pure BPA strategy, conceivably you could wind up drafting say a tight end four years in a row. So I'd say even in the first round you have to account for need to some extent. I guess my basic philosophy would be something along the lines of Best Player at a Position that is Likely to be a Need in the Next Three Years or So. For this draft, I hope that is a defensive lineman.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    My God, how many games do have to lose 28-21. "Why wouldn't we draft Brady Quinn". B'cuz we wouldn't help us!!! At all. Unless you traded him for a top defensive prospect. Ridiculous!
    Boy, that Damione Lewis DT really helped us. Also that Adam Archuleta was such a force in the secondary, and let's don't forget how awesome Jimmy Kennedy has been.

The draft is a crap shoot, so why not take the best talent available in round 1?

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Boy, that Damione Lewis DT really helped us. Also that Adam Archuleta was such a force in the secondary, and let's don't forget how awesome Jimmy Kennedy has been.

The draft is a crap shoot, so why not take the best talent available in round 1?
    The draft is not as much of a crap shoot as people say. Some coaches can evaluate talent and some cannot. But how could Brady Quinn help us at all?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

That Kennedy is such a rock in the middle. He's won us a LOT of games.

I'd go as far as to attribute our all of our past successes to the fantastic play of JK. He is the face of the Rams organisation.

Lewis and Arch were huge losses for this team.

It takes a lot of skill to be the highest paid safety in the league...and warm the bench for a virtual unknown while you're at it.

--Point well made, Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    The draft is not as much of a crap shoot as people say. Some coaches can evaluate talent and some cannot. But how could Brady Quinn help us at all?
    Only at certain positions BDP do rookies make an immediate impact. RB, LB, DB, and WR are virtually the only positions where a rookie makes such an impact. Last year was an anomoly with Vince Young resurrecting a Titans season at QB.

Bulger isn't going to be around forever, and from all indications Quinn is the prototypical professional QB. Why not take someone with that much talent to become our FUTURE QB and be able to sit and watch for 3 years?

I look at the draft like the stock market. It's for investing in your future, not for opening day.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

OK...

But Quinn will probably not be there then what.

I say go after the best player available and if it happens to be a DL then so be it.

Go Rams

My point exactly Crazy, BDP and I are just having a conversation. Actually, it's a different viewpoint of the draft. Not saying BDP is wrong or I am necessarily right, it's just a discussion which that is what a message board is for.

My view? Take the best player available in Round 1....regardless of position. I don't think a rookie DT makes that much of an impact, some do. I would rather use that selection to shore up the secondary actually, but it was a hypothetical question that if someone like a Quinn was available do you take him? I say of course, build for the future. Some don't.

keith m. klink Guest

here is the thing i didn't see anyone mention, that if it so happened that quinn was the best player at our pick, how far behind in talent is the next guy on our board. if it is that far from a talent grade, you have to take quinn. but also, someone else has him graded that high and needs him also. so this changes everything, we don't need him, but someone does, we either get players or picks or both. but if a player grades out just below him, and could be worth the value of this pick, you could always just skip quinn and take the one who will help the team now.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

TX,

Once again we share the same view.

Draft the best talent in round 1 and use the rest of the draft for need if you must.

Go Rams

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I go with best defensive player available. Given the fact that we have failed miserably in drafting DTs in the first round recently, the best defensive player available makes the most sense to me.

marccat is offline Registered User

ya,ll got it right, but D line tackle is our NEED regardless of past frak ups. We all know the late rd. all pro picks (Deacon Jones, 14h rd. ect.) so maybe, just maybe.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12