Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Scott Wright Evaluates the Rams Draft

The gist is that we did well, he questioned the decision of Avery, and the decision to go for Long IF the coaches wanted Dorsey. Said we didn't need a savior, but got some good help, some immediate contributors, and at least one future starter.

C+

NFL Draft Countdown - St. Louis Rams Review

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Wright Evaluates the Rams Draft

Scott is reflecting some inconsistencies by grading us at C+. He rewards a team like the Texans today with a B despite their "reach" pick of Duane Brown in round 1. The rest of their draft was not as good as ours in Scott's view but he grades them higher. he also rated Justin King as a real steal in round 4. Where's the logic here?

Now I realize these grades are meaningless since it's what the player does on the field that really counts. I just think we had a really good draft and don't think his grading is consistent from one team to the next.

Just my thoughts as we wait to sign our players. Go Rams!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm not thrilled about this comment: "In terms of value it's hard for anyone to make the argument that Avery was the best wideout in this draft, however you can see how the Rams felt he was a better fit for what they were looking for than guys like Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, James Hardy or Limas Sweed."

We can't be sure whether it's true or not, but the front office's story immediately after the draft was that 6-8 other teams were believed to have him at the top of their board. It's one thing to say that he personally doesn't believe it was good value or even that very few draft junkies expected it, but I don't think he has grounds to say that nobody could even make a case for it. The order of receivers taken didn't shake out much like anyone was predicting.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

My view on this is simple....if this year's crop of WR's wasn't very good...why reach in the 2nd round? You got another speedster with good hands in Burton in the 4th and the Rams could have really used a good LB in the 2nd. Maybe there wasn't anyone there that fit, and Avery is an avid fisherman so he gets major bonus points here....but he just doesn't have that warm fuzzy with me.

I hope I'm wrong.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    My view on this is simple....if this year's crop of WR's wasn't very good...why reach in the 2nd round?
    Because the Rams didn't feel as if they were reaching for the guy they took. And just because the WR class this year wasn't good enough to go in the first round doesn't mean the value is there in the second. It seems pretty evident that many teams liked the value of wide receivers in the second round given how many receivers came off the board.

Coming out of this draft with Avery and Burton IMO is much better than coming out of this draft with Burton and... well, there really wasn't an OLB or even an OL to be picked there. The Rams came out of this draft with two guys who could potentially step up for them at wide receiver, which IMO is better than one considering we don't know the long-term status of Holt and Bennett has been a disappointment thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Because the Rams didn't feel as if they were reaching for the guy they took. And just because the WR class this year wasn't good enough to go in the first round doesn't mean the value is there in the second. It seems pretty evident that many teams liked the value of wide receivers in the second round given how many receivers came off the board.

Coming out of this draft with Avery and Burton IMO is much better than coming out of this draft with Burton and... well, there really wasn't an OLB or even an OL to be picked there. The Rams came out of this draft with two guys who could potentially step up for them at wide receiver, which IMO is better than one considering we don't know the long-term status of Holt and Bennett has been a disappointment thus far.
    That could be true....but you know me and the draft. I don't expect to hit on every player.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That could be true....but you know me and the draft. I don't expect to hit on every player.

tx, to be honest my brotha, I get the feeling you don't expect to hit on ANY player.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

the RAMS came away with 2 solid receivers that will add depth to a older unit , and they both have great skills that will help sooner than later . and i don't go with all this crap about he's not a good pick or he went to high or low or whatever. ALL i know is that 2 receivers i was targetting for the RAMS on draft day were drafted by the RAMS. SO lets just see what receivers make things happen this year, and don't be surprised to see BURTON climbing up the depth charts fast.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    tx, to be honest my brotha, I get the feeling you don't expect to hit on ANY player.

Well, that isn't necessarily true. I went out on a limb and have said I anticipate Greco taking over for Barron for the years out. I also said Justin King hast the skills to push Hill and I do believe that it will be Burton and not Avery that will be the WR to help the Rams.

That is why I have trouble with Avery as our 2nd round pick. However, if he wants to give me some tips on baitcasting into the wind I'm all for that.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

C+.....C'mon that's a bit low in my opinion. We filled alot of needs with quality players.

Shame on you Scott!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, that isn't necessarily true. I went out on a limb and have said I anticipate Greco taking over for Barron for the years out. I also said Justin King hast the skills to push Hill and I do believe that it will be Burton and not Avery that will be the WR to help the Rams.

That is why I have trouble with Avery as our 2nd round pick. However, if he wants to give me some tips on baitcasting into the wind I'm all for that.
    Aha. Now I get you. You're an underdog kind of guy. Greco (3rd) over Barron (1st). King (4th) over Hill (1st). Burton (4th) over Avery (2nd).

Well then, tx, I take it back. As Doc said to Wyatt, "You sir, are an oak."
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Aha. Now I get you. You're an underdog kind of guy. Greco (3rd) over Barron (1st). King (4th) over Hill (1st). Burton (4th) over Avery (2nd).

Well then, tx, I take it back. As Doc said to Wyatt, "You sir, are an oak."

Actually, Underdog was my favorite super hero. Always wanted one of those rings with a pill in it so I could fly.

Now THAT could be taken in all sorts of ways....and it probably will except for the literal sense which in this case was the truth.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There is a distinct logical flaw in the comment "Avery wasn't the best WR in the draft."

That's not really the question. The question is: was Avery the best WR in the draft for the Rams?

The Rams FO thought he was. Its not surprising why they would think that. They wanted a guy with speed. Avery was one of the top 2 or 3 fastest WRs in the draft. They wanted someone with maturity. Avery was deemed to be more mature than guys like DeShaun Jackson. They wanted a guy who responds well to coaching. Avery was universally praised for his coachability at the Senior Bowl.

So Avery was seen as the best guy for the Rams. That makes him a good choice.