Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 1 Post By shower beers

Thread: Scott Wright has updated his mock

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Scott Wright has updated his mock

Our old friend, Scott Wright, has updated his mock draft on nfldraftcountdown.com.

And for those curious....

#16 - Warmack
    #22 - Austin
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Wright has updated his mock

I'm OK with that, or Ogletree/and a WR
    Barry Waller

TekeRam is offline Registered User

About damn time!!! I thought he usually had updated mocks at least every couple weeks and he'd gone a month and a half since the last one!

Also, yay Warmack!
    I believe!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

He has the Rams taking Kansas State LB Arthur Brown in the second round. Notable players the Rams pass on while taking Brown: Eddie Lacy, Jonathan Cyprien.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Works for me... the closer we get the more I feel we will get two very good players on day one!
    Nick and THOLTFAN81 like this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Scott Wright & Mike Mayock are really the two go-to guys for draft news and mocks. Both guys are usually spot on with their analysis, though I am starting to really like Daniel Jeremiah (former Ravens scout).

In regards to the selections, if we came out of round one with both austin & warmack you'd hear no complaining from me.
    Randart likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I'm happy with those two first round picks. More and more I am becoming a bigger fan of Tavon Austin

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'm having a harder and harder time seeing Austin last until no. 22. I'm thinking Carolina is his most likely suitor right now, and he'll certainly be looked at hard by Pittsburgh and Chicago.

This is totally just my opinion also, but New Orleans also makes sense as a possible destination. He seems like just the type of player that would gel in that offense, although I'm not sure that they'd need both he and Sproles.
    ManofGod likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I'm having a harder and harder time seeing Austin last until no. 22. I'm thinking Carolina is his most likely suitor right now, and he'll certainly be looked at hard by Pittsburgh and Chicago.

This is totally just my opinion also, but New Orleans also makes sense as a possible destination. He seems like just the type of player that would gel in that offense, although I'm not sure that they'd need both he and Sproles.
    Carolina is a good fit; Tavon could pick Steve Smith's brain about how to be a successful receiver in the NFL despite limited height.

I think New Orleans is an excellent fit; they'll need a third receiver with Dervey Henderson leaving in free agency, unless they view Joe Morgan as that guy. But if the value is still good on the defensive side of the ball, the Saints could go that direction to help their scheme shift.

Chicago has one of the best KR ever, and have not taken WR early all that much recently.

Without his KR value, Austin rates fourth in the WR group.

Pittsburgh prides itself on getting WR late, and not ever paying them big bucks, and when they did go WR 1st they made a few of their only draft mistakes there.

They also need OLB badly still, and help on the O-line. Imagine f they got a shot at Warmack, and Fluker is in ply for them as well. They love big linemen. So does Big Ben.

The Steelers don't reach, and Austin could be that, but it's possible.

Buy hey, if you get a far better PLAYER at 16, and an almost equal WR at 22, I'm all in on that.

Austin's 11.7 average per catch, and his size is quite troubling, for a supposed deep/breakaway threat, at least for the 16th pick in the draft. He has no versatility, and probably will be mostly a kick return threat at first, and maybe longer. Even if he is Dante Hall, is he worth a #1 pick? Those guys have a very short shelf life.

He might end up a star, but it's all about RISK/REWARD, in round one, because these guys still make big money that get drafted high. You want your top pick to have as few negatives as possible.

For some, even ONE negative, like off-field issues, takes them off draft boards.

The Saints fans would revolt if they took a WR, or any offensive player for that matter. I mean, how much more COULD they posibly score???

They will go defense, and it will be Mingo, Jones, Rhodes, or Hayden.

If the Rams did take Austin at 22, I would not be crushed, not with taking a guard kind of iffy, and no safety stands out to be worthy there, and Ogletree having off field deals that Jeff Fisher knows more about than we do. Not gonna take a corner there, or a OT, DT, DE.

I know that Austin will be an effective return guy, and that would be a huge boost for this team, and he will be a fan favorite here.

Long term though, give me Allen, Pattersom, Hopkins, Hunter, or Patton at 16, but ONLY if you have a guy there that is too good too pass up, which I can see happening. They may be open to a deal down as well , with EITHER pick, and even could move UP a tad at agood price, like 2014 third, and a 5th or 6th this year.

Just not sure who I would move up for, that won't be gone top 10.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-25-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts; please use the EDIT feature if you'd like to add additional information before another response has been made.
    Barry Waller

shower beers is offline Registered User

Do you think Pitt goes OL round 1 this year even after going DeCastro, Adams in last years draft? I feel like their fans would be even angrier than New Orleans fans after seeing Austin be the pick, if that happened.

I will say this about Pittsburgh. They are all about BPA, always have been, and they love big linemen, and 3-4 linebackers the most. Running back too, at times when they need one bad. Not so much WR though, and after Santonio Holmes and Plax, maybe they are gun shy there.

Nothing would surprise me with the Steelers this year, even Margus Hunt or Tyler Eifert. A NT is a definite possibility, with Hampton really long in the tooth. The Steelers are a real wild card, but look for BPA above all with them, unless it is a QB.
    Barry Waller

>>I'm having a harder and harder time seeing Austin last until no. 22>>

You really have to be careful, when you start keying on one guy you "have to have", because all of a sudden you start looking at all the other teams ahead of you who might take your prize, ignoring the fact that far better players will be there for those teams.

Fisher and Snead will stay true to their board, and there are lots of guys they love, not just one.

Gotta hold your water, or you start trading picks for no reason other than fear. That's why teams spread all the false stuff like the Rams with Jay Cutler. They just want to scare teams into a deal.
    Barry Waller

On NFL Network, they have Barkevious Mingo dropping in the Steelers lap. That would be just like :Lamar Woodley did. They are so lucky with that stuff even with so many other teams in a 3-4.

I doubt he gets there, but you never know, some teams are just lucky. They could deal up for him though.
    Barry Waller