thoey is offline Registered User

Scott Wright interview with Aaron Curry

The more I read about this kid, the more I like.

Aaron Curry Interview
    January 30, 2009

Most casual football fans still don't realize just how good of a player and pro prospect Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry is but that will all change in the coming months. Not only is Curry widely regarded to be the top senior prospect available for the 2009 NFL Draft but most view him as a legitimate Top 5 overall pick. It's not an exaggeration to say that Curry is as good of a linebacker prospect as we've seen in recent years, which is pretty impressive because that puts him in the same company with guys like Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware. A versatile 'backer who is capable of playing outside or inside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, Curry is going to be one of the most coveted players in this entire draft on April 25th. Aaron recently took some time out of his busy pre-draft training schedule to answer some questions in this interview with Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Aaron Curry: 6'3 | 250 lbs. | 4.5

Scott Wright: How seriously did you consider going pro after your junior season? What kind of feedback did you get from the NFL’s Underclassmen Advisory Panel last year?

Aaron Curry: I was very close to entering the NFL draft as a junior, but due to the bonds I built with my teammates and coaches I decided to stay. I received a 3rd round grade but I wanted to max out my college campaign and get better. I did not receive any specific feedback, just a third round grade.

Scott Wright: Most scouts feel you are capable of playing inside or outside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme. What are your thoughts on that and where do you think you’d be most comfortable?

Aaron Curry: No matter where I am placed in a system I will maximize my potential and continue to make big plays. My college coach Brad Lambert did a very good job of structuring me into an overall linebacker. Coach Lambert made sure I was able to take on and shed blocks like an inside 3-4 linebacker and also taught me to be very strong at the point of attack as a Sam in the 4-3. Coach Lambert also made sure I was able to make big plays in the pass game also. He really made me a student of the game.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

Aaron Curry: My greatest strength is my ability to take on and shed blocks to remain free in traffic. I believe I need to work on my level of aggression.

I sometimes play too aggressive.

Scott Wright: What current NFL linebacker do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Aaron Curry: The NFL is equipped with a lot of great linebackers. I've always seen myself as a mixture of Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Aaron Curry: My greatest football moment to date would be the Clemson game from this season. That was a big game with a national spotlight and I feel like I really separated myself from the rest of the talent on the field with my big hits in the open field.

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you faced during your college career?

Aaron Curry: Matt Ryan was the best player I have ever faced. I felt like he was in a league of his own. It was like playing against an NFL quarterback.

Scott Wright: When did you realize that you had a future in football beyond college?

Aaron Curry: I did not realize until Coach Lambert pulled me in his office one day and we had a heart to heart. He assured me that as long as I continued to show up and work every day like I do then my dream to play in the NFL would soon come true.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Wake Forest that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Aaron Curry: I really think that Brandon Ghee will be one of the premier players in the 2010 NFL Draft. Brandon has an elite blend of size and speed and is also very coachable.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up?

Aaron Curry: The UNC Tar Heels were my favorite team growing up in college and I have been a Carolina Panthers fan ever since the franchise was established.

Scott Wright: Did you have a favorite player?

Aaron Curry: My favorite players are Willie Parker, Julius Peppers, and Anquan Boldin.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Aaron Curry: I can't wait for my opportunity to go against Willie Parker & Anquan Boldin.

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Aaron Curry: The first thing I will purchase is a brand new house and car for my mom.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Aaron Curry: Coach Lambert has always told me that I would be more than welcome to come coach with him. So once my professional football career is over I am going to jump right into coaching college football.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Aaron Curry: A lot of people look at me crazy when they hear that I am listening to the soundtrack from my favorite movie "300".

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?

Aaron Curry: My goal is to be selected in the Top 5.

Scott Wright: Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it!

This space for rent...

Re: Scott Wright interview with Aaron Curry

There are also two columns on SI that were written by Curry. Well spoken young man. Not that that makes him a better football player, but it is another selling point in my book.
    This space for rent...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    There are also two columns on SI that were written by Curry. Well spoken young man. Not that that makes him a better football player, but it is another selling point in my book.
    Well the thing that jumps out to me by both those columns and this interview is that his head is screwed on right. Just like Chris Long, he's an extremely hard worker, a student of the game, and someone who I believe will push his teammates to play up to his level along with being a superior individual talent. That is why I'm very open to getting him with our number one pick, because he can play anywhere, and I feel like we'll never have to worry about what he's doing on a Friday night(hell, he'll probably be having Chris and other defenders over for a film session at his house!).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Proven athleticism is one thing but a high character is very important as well.
    Seems like Curry has it all, no wonder he's been pegged as the safest pick in the draft.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

I'm not sure why this would be embarrassing. Its not quite The Backstreet Boys, Pussycat Dolls or antyhing as bad as that.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Aaron Curry: A lot of people look at me crazy when they hear that I am listening to the soundtrack from my favorite movie "300".
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

MarshallMarshall Guest

Let's get this kid. He is exactly what the Rams need.

schut39 is offline Registered User

That is another reason I think we will get this guy. He is a high character guy and we all know Spagnuolo loves a player with high character.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Curry is the man!!!! Total package with swagger!!!

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Scott Wright interview with Aaron Curry

Nice read, thanks

RockinRam is offline Registered User

He wants to play Anquan Boldin eh?

Well I guess Christmas is coming early because let's give him his wish.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

This guy will definitely end up being a team leader in the locker room..He's got that good swag.

BTW, Curry has his post combine blog up on SI's webpage now.
    This space for rent...

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Hey clan, I haven't posted in a long time, and am getting back into the mix of things.

Curry is such a beast, I really hope we get him. Having family and friends at Wake and being a huge fan of the school, I have got to see him play plenty of times up close and he is a monster. And I think we are seriously lacking in the LB core, and it would be great to see Curry work with Spoon and Long in the future.
    Last edited by prof22693; -03-01-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo

FYI, SI has a total of five blogs by Curry now. They are also looking to have another from him post draft.

Yes, I have a mancrush on this kid. I'll be happy with either OT, but I will be ecstatic if we get him.

This space for rent...