Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Scott Wright: Rams pick QB Sam Bradford #1

I came across Scott Wright's mock draft dated 12/17/09. He has the Rams picking Sam Bradford, QB from Oklahoma as the no. 1 pick in the draft. He also has Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama going no. 21 to the Miami Dolphins.

Is this old news? Has he updated his mock since then? I'm quite suprised by those two picks in particular. I found it here: draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

What do you guys think about us taking Bradford with the 1st pick?

1 ST. LOUIS RAMS: SAM BRADFORD, QB, OKLAHOMA

Washingtonís Jake Locker would have been the slam-dunk pick for St. Louis but he is going back for his senior year, which complicates things for the Rams. Do they just move to the next best quarterback and take either Sam Bradford from Oklahoma or Jimmy Clausen from Notre Dame or do they try to address their defense with Nebraskaís Ndamukong Suh? Steve Spagnuolo is a defensive-minded coach who loves to put pressure on the quarterback and right now the Rams donít have any difference-makers up front so Suh would make a lot of sense. However, everything revolves around the quarterback position and the Rams just canít afford to pass on a potential franchise signal caller. The Bradford / Clausen debate will likely go down to the wire but in the end I think Bradford gets the nod due to his superior intangibles. Bradford might have been the #1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft but he opted to spend another year in college. Unfortunately that didnít work out as planned and he wound up missing most of the season with an injury to his throwing shoulder, which required surgery. Despite the questions about his health / durability and concerns about the spread system he played in with the Sooners it looks as though Bradford is still in line to be a Top 10 pick as long as there are no red flags in the medical checkups. Even though Bradford doesnít have a cannon for an arm he possesses good size, is an extraordinarily accurate passer with a quick release and also extremely smart. Much like Atlanta fans who were clamoring for Glenn Dorsey over Matt Ryan there will surely be those who want the Rams to go with Suh. St. Louis will entertain that thought but at the end of the day they have to pull the trigger on a quarterback.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by viper; -01-18-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Wright: Rams pick QB Sam Bradford #1

I think Scott Wright is an idiot.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Good thought Process wrong guy. IMO the only thing Bradford has Claussen beat with is height. Other than that Claussen is just as accurate, his arm is stronger, he has more experience in a pro style offense, Claussen is better in the pocket and under pressure, and the most overlooked, but extremely important aspect Claussen has him beat in is toughness.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Unhelpfully & unsubstantiated extreme,imo. SW is a friend of the Clan & I remember his pre-draft conversation with us as one of the more interesting ones. I, for one , would like to see him here again & that won't help.

Secondly, he was as close as any pundit on the top ten names & order in '09,inc The Rams pick. Hard to predict the Jets pick trade & hard to argue that Crabtree & Maclin wouldn't have helped The Hags & Raiders more than their actual picks.

There's also a lot of accumulated draft history wisdom over the greater impact of a QB over a DT. You can help your D with a group of lesser guys. Not so @ QB as we well know from recent history.

I think once the Combine med reports/workouts &Pro days are done, this pick won't seem so idiotic.

Not sayin' i like it, just sayin' it isn't idiotic.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    While I disagree with his projection that the Rams will take Bradford with the first pick, he is by no means an idiot. In fact, Wright's site is one of the best resources for draft information on the web and, from what I can tell, he writes it all himself. He is also a "Friend of the Clan" as he has appeared here for live chats each of the last two years.

Also... don't fool yourselves. If Bradford (1) receives a clean bill of health, (2) performs well in workouts and, (3) impresses the Rams coaches and Front Office personnel in interviews, he very well could be the first pick in the draft. How soon we forget that he could have been the first pick overall had he come out in 2009.

I still want and expect Suh to be the pick, but there's a lot of time between now and April.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While I disagree with his projection that the Rams will take Bradford with the first pick, he is by no means an idiot. In fact, Wright's site is one of the best resources for draft information on the web and, from what I can tell, he writes it all himself. He is also a "Friend of the Clan" as he has appeared here for live chats each of the last two years.

Also... don't fool yourselves. If Bradford (1) receives a clean bill of health, (2) performs well in workouts and, (3) impresses the Rams coaches and Front Office personnel in interviews, he very well could be the first pick in the draft. How soon we forget that he could have been the first pick overall had he come out in 2009.

I still want and expect Suh to be the pick, but there's a lot of time between now and April.
    Exact kind of open mind all fans should take . Its a long way till April Mr. Suh isn't wearing Gold and Blue just yet.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

lol uhh I forgot how difficult it is to see when one is kidding.

I wasn't being serious, sorry about that lol

But in all seriousness, I disagree with his pick. I just think that picking the sure thing pick is the best route for us unless we trade up and get extra picks. A few guys wrote on here that perhaps Tampa would trade with us, allowing us to pick #3. Things change with that scenario.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I came across Scott Wright's mock draft dated 12/17/09.
    Is this old news?
    I think you kind of answered your own question, no?

He updates his mocks more frequently as the draft draws closer, but because of the explanation he provides for each pick (as opposed to just listing the team and then the player), it takes him longer. I imagine he'll have an updated mock out soon, since underclassmen have declared.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Though I don't agree with this pick (which I doubt will be the same as his final mock.....though it could be, who knows?) nor did I agree with his claim that Gholston was going to the Rams a couple of years ago, Scott's site should be one of the first sites you go to when looking for draft info.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If Rams stay at the No.1 pick, they cant fail by picking Suh or one of the QBs. Even McCoy makes sense if he shows more than Suh.

We need help anywhere, so really it doesnt matter which of these players the Rams take

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Which is why trading down to the 3rd or 4th pick and acquiring a couple more seems like the ideal situation to me. Unless the FO believes Suh is the dominant prospect many believe he is, I would be happy to see us trade down to 3 or 4, take Clausen or Bradford, and pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the process.

It takes two to tango. Someone has to be willing to make that trade. Which may be easier said than done.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Scott Wright has updated his mock draft today (1/22) and now has us taking Ndamukong Suh.

1. ST LOUIS RAMS: NDAMUKONG SUH, DT, NEBRASKA

Washingtonís Jake Locker would have been the slam-dunk pick for St. Louis but he decided to stay in school for his senior season, which complicates things for the Rams. Do they now address their defense with Nebraskaís Ndamukong Suh, who most consider to be the best prospect in this draft? Do they just move to the next best quarterback and reach for Sam Bradford from Oklahoma or Jimmy Clausen from Notre Dame? Steve Spagnuolo is a defensive-minded coach whose system revolves around generating pressure and right now the Rams donít have any difference-makers up front, which would seem to indicate Suh will be the choice. Itís rare to see a defensive tackle take over a game but that is exactly what Suh has demonstrated the ability to do on a consistent basis the past couple of years. Whether itís sacking the quarterback, making tackles behind the line of scrimmage or even intercepting passes, Suh is as dominant of a player at his position as the college game has seen in many, many years. However, as good as Suh is itís not a foregone conclusion that he will be the top defensive tackle selected in this draft. In reality Suh and Oklahomaís Gerald McCoy are essentially 1A and 1B on most boards, although Suh might have the slight edge. If by some chance a quarterback emerges as a legitimate contender for the #1 pick the Rams will have to seriously consider going that route because they canít afford to continue on with the likes of Marc Bulger, Kyle Boller and Keith Null. As a dark- horse keep an eye on Oklahoma State wideout Dez Bryant, who could be the playmaker in the passing game they've been lacking since Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce were in their primes.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    As a dark- horse keep an eye on Oklahoma State wideout Dez Bryant, who could be the playmaker in the passing game they've been lacking since Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce were in their primes.
    He can't be serious about this can he?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

He can't be serious about this can he?
    Agreed. Especially since he's mock has him going at 10. I'm pretty sure a team 1-9 would want a shot at Suh before we pick a WR #1. And he has Tim Tebow going to the Patriots. I'm pretty sure that would make my day if it happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast