jbell15 is offline Registered User

Scott Wright told me

When i asked him of the chances of the Rams drafting Curry, or one of the tackles...

"Justin,

I definitely think Aaron Curry will be in play for the Rams and he fits the type of character profile they look for in players these days.

A big factor will be whether or not they feel he is capable of playing the middle in their scheme since Will Witherspoon is kicking back outside.

I definitely think Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith are their most likely targets though."

Nothing earth-shattering, just thought i'd share it.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Wright told me

How do you know Scott Wright yo??? JW

bigredman is offline Registered User

Aaron Curry Interview
    January 30, 2009

Most casual football fans still don't realize just how good of a player and pro prospect Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry is but that will all change in the coming months. Not only is Curry widely regarded to be the top senior prospect available for the 2009 NFL Draft but most view him as a legitimate Top 5 overall pick. It's not an exaggeration to say that Curry is as good of a linebacker prospect as we've seen in recent years, which is pretty impressive because that puts him in the same company with guys like Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware. A versatile 'backer who is capable of playing outside or inside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, Curry is going to be one of the most coveted players in this entire draft on April 25th. Aaron recently took some time out of his busy pre-draft training schedule to answer some questions in this interview with Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Aaron Curry: 6'3 | 250 lbs. | 4.5

Scott Wright: How seriously did you consider going pro after your junior season? What kind of feedback did you get from the NFL’s Underclassmen Advisory Panel last year?

Aaron Curry: I was very close to entering the NFL draft as a junior, but due to the bonds I built with my teammates and coaches I decided to stay. I received a 3rd round grade but I wanted to max out my college campaign and get better. I did not receive any specific feedback, just a third round grade.

Scott Wright: Most scouts feel you are capable of playing inside or outside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme. What are your thoughts on that and where do you think you’d be most comfortable?

Aaron Curry: No matter where I am placed in a system I will maximize my potential and continue to make big plays. My college coach Brad Lambert did a very good job of structuring me into an overall linebacker. Coach Lambert made sure I was able to take on and shed blocks like an inside 3-4 linebacker and also taught me to be very strong at the point of attack as a Sam in the 4-3. Coach Lambert also made sure I was able to make big plays in the pass game also. He really made me a student of the game.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

Aaron Curry: My greatest strength is my ability to take on and shed blocks to remain free in traffic. I believe I need to work on my level of aggression.

I sometimes play too aggressive.

Scott Wright: What current NFL linebacker do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Aaron Curry: The NFL is equipped with a lot of great linebackers. I've always seen myself as a mixture of Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Aaron Curry: My greatest football moment to date would be the Clemson game from this season. That was a big game with a national spotlight and I feel like I really separated myself from the rest of the talent on the field with my big hits in the open field.

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you faced during your college career?

Aaron Curry: Matt Ryan was the best player I have ever faced. I felt like he was in a league of his own. It was like playing against an NFL quarterback.

Scott Wright: When did you realize that you had a future in football beyond college?

Aaron Curry: I did not realize until Coach Lambert pulled me in his office one day and we had a heart to heart. He assured me that as long as I continued to show up and work every day like I do then my dream to play in the NFL would soon come true.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Wake Forest that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Aaron Curry: I really think that Brandon Ghee will be one of the premier players in the 2010 NFL Draft. Brandon has an elite blend of size and speed and is also very coachable.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up?

Aaron Curry: The UNC Tar Heels were my favorite team growing up in college and I have been a Carolina Panthers fan ever since the franchise was established.

Scott Wright: Did you have a favorite player?

Aaron Curry: My favorite players are Willie Parker, Julius Peppers, and Anquan Boldin.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Aaron Curry: I can't wait for my opportunity to go against Willie Parker & Anquan Boldin.

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Aaron Curry: The first thing I will purchase is a brand new house and car for my mom.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Aaron Curry: Coach Lambert has always told me that I would be more than welcome to come coach with him. So once my professional football career is over I am going to jump right into coaching college football.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Aaron Curry: A lot of people look at me crazy when they hear that I am listening to the soundtrack from my favorite movie "300".

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?

Aaron Curry: My goal is to be selected in the Top 5.

Scott Wright: Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it!

Scott Wright is the founder and President of Draft Countdown.com. An authority in the field, he has been scouting players and evaluating the NFL Draft since 1993 and has been featured as a football expert by media outlets all across the country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Interesting that the kid projects himself as a Sam, not a Mike, in a 4-3 defense.

How about picking up a reasonable FA like Vilma & cut or trade Pisa.

that's a pretty tasty LB corps:

SAM: Curry/Culberson
    MIKE: Vilma/Draft
    WILL: Spoon/ Chamberlain? later round rook?

Make no mistake, I'm still all about fixing the OL as top priority but that idea does intrigue me.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

I think Vilma is going to end up getting tagged by the Saints...

He said that the Saints had came up to him and told him to be patient and they were going to make a move to retain him.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm starting to fall in love with Curry. A mixture of Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks? Come on, lets draft him right now!!! He sounds like a kid you could build a defense around. Even if he doesn't play MLB, he would fill in that glaring strong side hole we have had for quite awhile.

Ok, how about Crowder-Miami may protect/spend on Bell or Carey,imo.

Or Beisel? since The Cards won't be crazy enough to let Dansby go,will they? And if KW doesn't retire, how can they not give him a fat chunk of their '09 cap space to him for a 1 or 2 year deal?

I was using Vilma as a generic example of a pretty decent crowd of FA MLBs that MIGHT be in our price range and fit BD's preferred FA profile.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Interesting that the kid projects himself as a Sam, not a Mike, in a 4-3 defense.
    Most scouting reports I've seen of Curry actually project him to OLB in the pros. Though they acknowledge he has the talent to play all three positions, he seems to be typically regarded as an OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Even if he doesn't play MLB, he would fill in that glaring strong side hole we have had for quite awhile.
    Strong side linebacker isn't really a position you throw second overall money behind, though.

I really don't see how the Rams draft him unless it's to play MLB. That gives them SLB Witherspoon and WLB Tinoisamoa on the outside. If Curry ended up playing SLB, then Witherspoon shifts to the weak side and Pisa becomes an expensive back-up. Then we're back to square one, still in need of a MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I was using Vilma as a generic example of a pretty decent crowd of FA MLBs that MIGHT be in our price range and fit BD's preferred FA profile.
    I see what you're saying, but just to elaborate, Vilma was arrested in mid January for reckless driving and resisting arrest. That doesn't fit the character profile Devaney is probably looking for, so we can probably scratch him off the list.

Yikes, didn't hear that about Vilma. Is it part of a pattern, though?

I agree about the money but it also applies to any LB,doesn't it? Rare even for an MLB to go that high.

Odd aside; reading up on Lawrence Taylor whom Dominating D likes to compare with Crabtree as a #2 pick no-brainer, I was reminded of the stink it caused when he was offered $250,000/yr.

About what the #2 will get per game this coming season.Probably less,actually.

Craziness...

I'm not at all sold on anything other than "o-line first, by hook or by crook" at this point. Maybe there was more of a doubt about Pisa's future/value in the back of my beady little brain than really hoping for Curry to be picked.

Isn't Pisa getting kind of expensive for someone so inconsistent?

And I hear Quentin has all the physical tools but the mental one ain't too sharp.

What say ye?

Just read up on the Vilma arrest. Hardly a leonard little scandal,is it? No accident, no drugs,firearms, or alcohol involved.

Just a black guy not being smart while driving & then not being polite enough to some cops. Hmmm......Every African-American I know has a story like that to tell.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    How do you know Scott Wright yo??? JW
    I don't actually know him, i'm just a big fan of his site and i send him messages there on questions that i'm stuck on.