HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Scott Wright's 3/22 Mock

Here's the link

Here's the picks:
    1. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    2. Eric Wright, CB, UNLV
    3. Justin Durant, OLB, Hampton

I think a lot of Scott Wright, but with Okoye at #1 (which I'm fine with), I don't think we pass on a DE in 2 and 3. The Wright pick passed on Woodley, Moses, McDonald, and Abiarimi. And the Durant pick passed on Brian Robison. I gotta believe that, surely, one of those two picks is a DE.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Wright's 3/22 Mock

I do not like the Rams picking a DT in the first round. Been burned too much recently at that position. Maybe that's why I'm doing taxes and not in the front office of a NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I do not like the Rams picking a DT in the first round. Been burned too much recently at that position. Maybe that's why I'm doing taxes and not in the front office of a NFL team.
    But even if there was something to that concept, it's been 4 years since we've taken a first round DT, and a lot has changed in the past 4 years. As well, that happened under the eye of a different head coach, def. coord., draft FO exec., and D-line coach. Why should that disrupt the draft strategy of the current administration?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

What has changed in the last 4 years in drafting DT's?

Have we seen some instant playmakers at this position in the last 4 years. If so, who are they cause I do not know them. Sure some show potential but I have not seen a big time player at that position in the last 4 years and the odds that the Rams draft one in Round 1 is very unlikely.....

I think Defensive lineman can be acquire in the later rounds and the 1st pick should be used for acquiring who you think has the most potential of becoming a big time star in the league......

keith m. klink Guest

HUbison, great pickup, and you mentioned a player that not many people are talking abouton this site. a guy i really like ,and would love for the rams to grab in the 2nd round. ABIAMIRI. i think this kid could be a special player on this team, and as a young DE tandem of the future of victor and victor, would be a strong start to a solid d-line.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

I think its only fitting that he has Tank Tyler going in the second round to the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    What has changed in the last 4 years in drafting DT's?

Have we seen some instant playmakers at this position in the last 4 years. If so, who are they cause I do not know them. Sure some show potential but I have not seen a big time player at that position in the last 4 years and the odds that the Rams draft one in Round 1 is very unlikely.....

I think Defensive lineman can be acquire in the later rounds and the 1st pick should be used for acquiring who you think has the most potential of becoming a big time star in the league......
    Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris, Casey Hampton, Marcus Stroud.....all first rounders. Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins..... 2nd rounders. DT is like any other position.....with few exceptions, the best ones will go early.

BigGame is offline Registered User

Though I hate to say it with our glaring need at tackle, I tend to agree with tx that drafting players for that position seems to be a more risky propostion than most positions.

Here is a list of DTs chosen in the top 45 picks over the past 4 years (I chose that number arbitrarily, with my belief that these picks represent players who are expected to be significant contributors):

Dewayne Robertson (4th, Jets), Johnathan Sullivan (6th, Saints), Kevin Williams (9th, Vikings), Jimmy Kennedy (12th, Rams), William Joseph (25th, Giants), Jon Stinchcomb (37th, Saints), Tommie Harris (14th, Bears), Vince Wilfork (21st, Pats), Marcus Tubbs (23rd, Seahawks), Igor Olshansky (35th, Chargers), Juniour Siavii (36th, Chiefs), Travis Johnson (16th, Texans), Luis Castillo (28th, Chargers), Mike Patterson (31st, Eagles), Shaun Cody (37th, Lions), Haloti Ngata (12th, Ravens), Brodrick Bunkley (14th, Eagles), John McCargo (26th, Bills)

Now, of course, there are some great young players on that list (Harris, Williams, Wilfork, Ngata). But it seems to me that there are more busts than booms (Robertson, Sullivan, Kennedy etc.). And this isn't even including the 2002 draft that made Ryan Sims, Wendell Bryant, and Albert Haynesworth Top 15 picks.

My point is that, not only do the Rams have a history of drafting bad at DT, other teams seem to as well. Also notice that when current DC Hasslet was at the helm in New Orleans for the 2003 draft, he made two rather large misjudgements, including inexcusably reaching for Sullivan at pick 6.

If you think that we are going to fill our desperate need with a difference maker via the draft, history says you're going to be disappointed.

1. Every position will have more busts than booms.

2. Which is riskier: A) attempting to fill our need at DT by drafting a DT; or B) attempting to fill our need at DT by drafting some other position?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The draft is always a 50-50 chance of landing someone that will make an impact. But with a new scouting department, maybe we come out of it on top this year.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey