smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Scott Wright's Updated Post-Combine Mock

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

No significant changes in the top 10, he still has Chris Long going to Miami and the Rams selecting Jake.

In the 2nd he has us taking Calais Campbell, which in my mind would be the steal of the draft right there.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Scott Wright's Updated Post-Combine Mock

He had the Rams selecting Dorsey in his last mock, so I'd say that's a significant change.

If Campbell is there in the second he'd be an intriguing pick. I think potential and a possible improvement in workouts at his pro day cause him to go a bit higher, but you never know.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I would love to take Campbell in the second round. I hope hes there...

If he says Chris Long is going to Miami, I'll be happy with Jake. As long as round two is a great DE like Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He had the Rams selecting Dorsey in his last mock, so I'd say that's a significant change.

If Campbell is there in the second he'd be an intriguing pick. I think potential and a possible improvement in workouts at his pro day cause him to go a bit higher, but you never know.
    Ah.. astute... at one point he had the Rams selecting Jake Long, then he switched it to Dorsey in his last update.

I had forgotten.

keith m. klink Guest

HEY , didn't CAMPBELL stink up the combine. i have not seen the DE's yet , but i heard through espn that he did bad and lost some people high on him . hopefully like you said , his pro day can get him fixed .

Uhh, I for one hope not. Campbell at the top of the 2nd would be a steal, and I would honestly take him even if we did take Chris Long in the 1st.

He's 6'7 6/8 inches, 290 pounds. His 5.04 40 time wasn't spectacular.. but for a guy his size..?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I still don't like the way he describes Jake Long. A pro bowl RT, but will be able to get by at the left side because of his athleticism? That kinda turns me off. I'd prefer Gholston at #2 even if we can't trade down.

Yeah...especially with Little may not be coming back...Gholston might be our best pick.

If Little is cut, I think we should be looking to pick up 2 DEs early in the draft. Even if Little has his contract restructured, he's no spring chicken and only a shell of his former self from a production standpoint.

If we were able to pick up a blue-chipper like Chris Long or Vernon Gholston in the 1st, then another beast in the 2nd like a Calais Campbell or a Quentin Groves, we would 2 potentially impact players to anchor that defense for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    If Little is cut, I think we should be looking to pick up 2 DEs early in the draft. Even if Little has his contract restructured, he's no spring chicken and only a shell of his former self from a production standpoint.

If we were able to pick up a blue-chipper like Chris Long or Vernon Gholston in the 1st, then another beast in the 2nd like a Calais Campbell or a Quentin Groves, we would 2 potentially impact players to anchor that defense for a few years.
    Thats what I was thinking. Take the chance with having a small touch up on Oline. Maybe getting a good OLine in FA. Not a huge star, but a decent player.

And sign either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston in the first round and Calais Campbell or Quentin Groves in the second round. That would solve our Dline problems for many years since we already have young studs out of Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan. I love this idea.

We can get a good OL in the free agency...or take the chance with our current OL and sign a back up in FA.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. Take the chance with having a small touch up on Oline.
    We can get a good OL in the free agency...or take the chance with our current OL and sign a back up in FA.
    Ugh....

I'm sorry, but what happened in the 2007 season? Did we not "take a chance" with our OL as it was? Did you see what happened? A mass of injuries and we go 3-13? Ringing any bells at all?

Line play is the key to success, on both sides of the ball, and what you're proposing is like robbing peter to pay paul. You don't do it. We need an influx of talent on our OL. The way to do that, undoubtedly, is to build from the ground up, and this means the NFL draft. That's not to discount late round lineman. But for god's sakes, we are in prime position with the projected talent available to make significant additions to BOTH our lines, be that OL/DL or DL/OL...why blow a chance like that by gambling that the OL might be okay? What we need is insurance, and the way to best ensure your ageing starters is by ensuring that you have young, competent backups groomed to take over when the time is ripe.

Why risk another 2007 season?