eldfan is offline Registered User

A scout's perspective

A scout's perspective
    by CaliRamMan on Feb 22, 2010 10:17 PM CST 0 comments

A good read from a former scout, Daniel Jeremiah. He breaks down several questions, especially ones that have been flying all over the place on this site. When discussing the best overall player in the draft, check out what he has to say about Mr. Suh:

I think he can play anywhere. That’s what I like so much about him. He could play inside at nose, he could be a 3-technique, he could play end if you needed him too. If you wanted to get real big on first down, you could line him up at end and have a monster end. I think his versatility fits into any defense.

Where does he rank the big guy:

He’s the best interior defensive lineman I have graded in six years. Last year, I was in Cleveland and we were going to have a top five pick and I went all over the country to do all the top players and he was my top player assuming he would have came out last year. He was my top player in last year’s draft.

What do you hve to say about Sam Bradford?

The only thing that would deter me from (Suh) that is if Sam Bradford checked out 100 percent healthy and your doctors were OK with durability concerns and you feel like he fits perfectly with what you do. Because if you don’t have a quarterback, that has to weigh into it. But that’s the only other option.

I liked Bradford because of the accuracy. In terms of where he would have gone with those other guys, I think he would very much have been in the discussion with Stafford and Sanchez and been a for sure top 10 pick and maybe threatened to be the first pick.

How about Mr. Clausen?

I need to do more (tape watching) on him. I’ve seen like two games. I need to see more. I need to watch some more tape on him. The problem I have on him is that his completion percentage is really high so a lot of times people confuse that with accuracy. But a lot of times, his ball placement was off, he puts the ball on the wrong shoulder. His footwork, he needs to clean that up, definitely.

I always love to read what scouts have to say. They rarely have an agenda and can be straight when giving an assessment of a prospect. Not to mention, they see things that the average Joe just doesn't think to look for. They look beyond the numbers! Here you go if you wanna read on for yourself:

The official site of the St. Louis Rams - Blog - 2009
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: No links!

:ramlogo:

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: A scout's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    The problem I have on him is that his completion percentage is really high so a lot of times people confuse that with accuracy. But a lot of times, his ball placement was off, he puts the ball on the wrong shoulder.
    I think this is the single biggest issue that gets missed. So many times the difference between 4th and 2 and a first down is the position the ball is delivered. You just can't allow your WRs to slow down or stop to catch a ball and expect them to get yards after the catch.

This is why I've never liked Matt Stafford. The guy has a rocket for an arm but his accuracy is very sub par. So many of his completions are when the receiver is stopped or barely moving and that's not how you move the sticks in the NFL.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

OH WOW!

That just makes me want SUH a Ram even more.

I would not have thought of playing SUH at D-End.

If Rams Front office is deadset on drafting a QB in round one, I hope they trade back in the draft.
    Take Bucs 2nd pick in rd 2 (42nd pick overall from Chicago through Bucs) and there 3rd rd pick.
    If Washington trades with Lions to move ahead of the Rams to draft QB Bradford then the Rams will hopefully take McCoy one of the DT's left on the Board.
    They could trade down again for more picks and pick up DE - D. Morgan, DT - B. Price, WR - D. Bryant, or RB - C. J. Spiller.

Ramzee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I think this is the single biggest issue that gets missed. So many times the difference between 4th and 2 and a first down is the position the ball is delivered. You just can't allow your WRs to slow down or stop to catch a ball and expect them to get yards after the catch.

This is why I've never liked Matt Stafford. The guy has a rocket for an arm but his accuracy is very sub par. So many of his completions are when the receiver is stopped or barely moving and that's not how you move the sticks in the NFL.
    Say what you want about Stafford. I've never really been a fan of him as an overall prospect but in all my time watching QB's at the collegiate level, he was the most accurate guy I've ever seen while on the move. I thought it was astonishing.