Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: The Seattle Effect

demiurge is offline Registered User

The Seattle Effect

As cliches go, its a copycat league is one of the more tired ones, but none the less for being true. Most analysts expected a run on WRs, instead we get a run on DBs. I LOVE the first two picks the Rams made - I've heard Donald compared to Sapp, but the guy I see when I look at him is Randle, and I am MORE than fine with that. And Robinson was a no brainer and a guy that could team with Saffold to make one of the best guard tandems in the league from day one.

But nine DBs off the board hurts us in a position of need, and watching 2 Safety prospects I was hoping that either would to fall to us not only went off the board, they went to division rivals Cards and *****.

All of the safeties left on the board have some significant physical limitations - there's always a cost-benefit analysis when making picks, but the high cost of the safety position in free agency combined with the early run on safeties in the 1st (4 off the board is unusual to say the least) is hurting our chance to upgrade that position. Brock Vereen or Terrence Brooks are a possible upgrade to Rodney McLeod, but we really need someone to step up and play beyond their physical skill set.

Of course, on the positive side, its easier to make plays when the QB is being devoured by ravenous beasts, and our D coordinator is a significant upgrade.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: The Seattle Effect

Remember that we picked up JJ in the second, and Tru and TJ in the 3rd rounds. Snead and Fisher can find DBs in those rounds
    Torry Holt and Rammed like this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

JJ is a physical specimen that dropped because off field issues - he's a 1st round talent. I'm unaware of any similar situations this year. The guys in these rounds are there because of physical limitations. TJ and Tru are solid, but just average starters in the NFL. They should improve with experience but I'm not seeing these guys as potential pro bowlers. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Williams will get the most out of these guys and the ferocious pass rush will make them look better than they are. But in most other years we would have had a chance for one of the 2nd tier safeties - just annoying that Seattle wins the Super Bowl and indirectly screws us the way they did it.

I think our secondary will be better than it was and I do expect one or two good guys to be drafted. But we could have used a guy that brought the level of the secondary up. DB and S are both positions a guy can come in and make a huge impact.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

While I don't disagree with your comments, I believe the front office is going for the fact that a change in defensive scheme and the improvement in the front 7 (Aaron Donald, a better Alec Ogletree) will help the secondary that we have already

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the model we're copying is the 7-8 man DL rotation that the Seahawks and the Giants before them used to blow up some of the NFL's top offenses (Broncos, Patriots).