Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second quess

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Second quess

I'm frustrated yes, but for the sake of my sanity and to keep some remote positivity going, I'll assume that had we taken Suh, neither Clausen nor McCoy would have been available because nothing can ever fully go this franchise's way.

It remains to be seen, however, what financial repercussions we await for not signing Bradford pre-draft whilst trying to be "cute" and waiting for a trade offer. This front office is just too reactive for my tastes, and I hope their replacements take a more proactive approach to building the team.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I like the Bradford pick.
    I just wonder what Cleveland offered for the first pick OA.

I hope the Rams trade down a little bit in the 2nd for for some extra picks.
    The 2nd round pick will be worth alot.

Several teams might want to jump ahead of Minnesota to draft there QB of the future.
    Round #2, 1st pick Rams. Vikings now have Lions pick in round two.
    I think the Rams need several offensive weapons. That will make the Defence look good. By not being on the field almost the entire game.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i think bradford has the higher ceiling for sure, so i'm not that upset. honestly i wanted suh in general, so it stings a bit, hopefully we can move this second pick and make up some ground.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Bradford becomes the next Philip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers, then no one is going to care about whom the Rams passed on in order to take him.

But some, myself included, thought Colt McCoy would be there at the top of the second round. In fact, I offered to make a friendly wager with anyone willing to bet on it. And not only is McCoy there, but Clausen is as well.

Only time will tell if the Rams made the right choice by taking Bradford over Suh, but based on how the draft fell, it appears the Rams could have taken Suh and been in a position to get a potential first round QB at the top of the second round. That was the preference of more than a few fans, myself included.

But would it have been better than taking Bradford and whomever else the Rams draft in the second round? We'll know in 3-5 years.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I'm frustrated yes, but for the sake of my sanity and to keep some remote positivity going, I'll assume that had we taken Suh, neither Clausen nor McCoy would have been available because nothing can ever fully go this franchise's way.

It remains to be seen, however, what financial repercussions we await for not signing Bradford pre-draft whilst trying to be "cute" and waiting for a trade offer. This front office is just too reactive for my tastes, and I hope their replacements take a more proactive approach to building the team.
    Are you ever happy? Just because he wasn't drafted before hand doesn't mean he wont be after maybe in a few days time, and i doubt that it will change drastically to sign him now rather than it would have before the draft. Honestly you seem upset at everything the front office does.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    To say there's a reason Clausen was passed on by everyone else as a reason we shouldn't have waited to pick him up, is nonsensical logic. What about all the teams that passed on Joe Montana? There have been many pro bowl QBs that have fallen out of the first round. To say that we wouldn 't be in better position if we had taken Suh and then Clausen is just stubbornly being a rah rah boy for Bradford. Now, could we have reliably depended on Clausen being there when we picked in the second round, no, but McCoy could reasonably have been and I would have been satified with that as well. We invested too much for our QB of the future in this draft in my opinion. We should have went after a QB last year in the first round which would have been better than what we've ended up with this year.
    To speak with such certainty is short-sighted in the extreme. I am more than confident Bradford will not be a bust. After that basic assumption, I think it would be a good bet Bradford will be among the QB elite in a few years.

I am glad we didn't draft Suh and roll the dice for a QB. Suh will be an impact player, but he will not elevate our team from being terrible. Only a competent offense will bring our team out of the realm of horrible.

In the end, Bradford was the best choice to make. Clausen dropped for a reason, his character issues threw up red flags that made him too risky for a 1st rnd pick. For god sakes, two teams were trying hard for Tebow and ignoring Clausen. That says something important about him.

Crying over Suh is a gigantic waste of time at this point.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

No use crying over this in the least. Hindsight is 20/20, and please, if anyone predicted Clausen to drop out of the 1st round, tell me which post you predicted it at, alright? No one thought Clausen would drop that far, no one.

+ as I've said before, QB's picked after the 1st round have a tremendously higher bust rate (Despite the current line of thinking that developmental QB for 3 years = amazing qb) and that that statistic in itself isn't proof one QB will be better than the next, but it IS proof that teams have a general idea of who they are drafting and what kind of NFL player they will be. That being, that if they believe a QB will be successful in the NFL, they do NOT sit around and hope he is there later, they grab him in round 1 and don't look back. That has more to do with 1st round QBs outperforming all other rounds combined than anything. If teams believe a QB will be successful, they draft them in the 1st round and don't wait and hope.

Is that going to be the case with Clausen? maybe, maybe not, who knows. No use complaining about not having the ability to predict the next 31 picks. Please someone show me a mock that was 100% accurate and I will believe that was possible to predict.

Edit: Maybe one mock drafter or two, I can't remember, predicted him to drop, but not many, I will amend that. However, even McShay who was adamant that Clausen was not 1st round material said he 100% expected him to go in the first.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I'm a little pissed we didn't take Suh with Claussen available at the 2.1. Though I'm sure no one expected him to fall to the 2nd round, so can't really blame the Front Office, but its still frustrating.

If Bradford goes on to become a Star while Claussen is a avg QB or bust, then I'll be glad we made the right choice, but it will take a few years to see what happens.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Are you ever happy? Just because he wasn't drafted before hand doesn't mean he wont be after maybe in a few days time, and i doubt that it will change drastically to sign him now rather than it would have before the draft. Honestly you seem upset at everything the front office does.
    We have had zero contract talks with Bradford per his camp. Given the relatively glacial pace at which Demoff's negotiations take place, I would be highly surprised at a quick signing (assuming that we don't just go ridiculously over the top for him).

We don't know what Devaney was looking for trade-wise in particular, but at a certain point you need to concede that a trade ain't happening and move to better your franchise's financial position. But that involves foresight and planning.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

pretty tough pill to swallow, as the board currently sits.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Hindsight is twenty twenty but yeah that would have been ideal. Getting Suh and getting Clausen would have been fantastic. However we got Bradford and I will support him just like I do every Rams player.
    This

I really wanted to get BOTH franchise DT (Suh) and QB (Claussen or McCoy)

But I will root for Bradford. This just means we need to invest more in keeping his ass clean!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Who? Mark Sanchez? The guy who played on a far superior team then ours and still flailed around uselessly through the season? Bradford is a far superior QB then sanchez.

the only reason the Jets were successful is Rex Ryan-- someone we should have went after.

The Rams continue to disappoint, and if Kindle is passed over because character issues, then we better start loking to pop warner football for talent. Nice guys finish last; which is an interesting parallel to what has been goignon with this team.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yes, I could say "I told you so", but I'm sure that the draft would have turned out differently had we gone with Suh. That doesn't stop me from being upset though, because there were strong indications that Clausen was going to fall, and by not selecting Bradford, it would just push the QB market down even further.

Would we be sitting at 33 today, probably not, but who of you wouldn't give our 4th round pick to move up to 29 or 30 to grab Clausen or McCoy just to make sure we got him, when we already were sitting with Suh?

Now, the fact that Holmgren wanted Bradford and even Shanahan wanted Bradford after getting McNabb certainly makes me think that Bradford will be the real deal, but we better do everything we can for him, because this draft will be graded down sharply if he doesn't become a pro bowl quarterback.
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    the only reason the Jets were successful is Rex Ryan-- someone we should have went after.

The Rams continue to disappoint, and if Kindle is passed over because character issues, then we better start loking to pop warner football for talent. Nice guys finish last; which is an interesting parallel to what has been goignon with this team.
    The Rams did pursue Ryan, and if they pass on Kindle, it will probably because Spagnuolo doesn't think he's a good fit for a 4-3.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Rams did pursue Ryan, and if they pass on Kindle, it will probably because Spagnuolo doesn't think he's a good fit for a 4-3.

Aye Avenger I know we did, he came in before Spags-- and we didnt land him=(

I cant tell you the frustrations I am having with the Rams nowdays, though Im sure its evident in my posts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast