Thread: Second round

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Second round

Let's assume, although there's still a long way to go, that the Rams choose either Suh or Clausen with the first pick in the draft. What happens in the second round?

I propose that a defensive end be selected, as this class has some exceptional DE prospects who may well slip to the top of the second round. Greg Hardy, Greg Romeus, Jason Pierre-Paul, Carlos Dunlap (despite reservations about his professionalism), Ricky Sapp and others might well be available at number thirty-three and I'm sure that Spags will be able to develop one of them into a real force.

With all of our current DEs, Long excepted, becoming free agents this year, it's about time that we acquired a new pass-rush threat to play opposite the number two pick from 2008.

If we end up with Long, Suh, Carriker and one of this year's DEs on the line, with Laurinaitis and Atogwe too, we'd have the core of a formidable defence.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Second round

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Let's assume, although there's still a long way to go, that the Rams choose either Suh or Clausen with the first pick in the draft. What happens in the second round?

I propose that a defensive end be selected, as this class has some exceptional DE prospects who may well slip to the top of the second round. Greg Hardy, Greg Romeus, Jason Pierre-Paul, Carlos Dunlap (despite reservations about his professionalism), Ricky Sapp and others might well be available at number thirty-three and I'm sure that Spags will be able to develop one of them into a real force.

With all of our current DEs, Long excepted, becoming free agents this year, it's about time that we acquired a new pass-rush threat to play opposite the number two pick from 2008.

If we end up with Long, Suh, Carriker and one of this year's DEs on the line, with Laurinaitis and Atogwe too, we'd have the core of a formidable defence.
    I definitely think DE is a possibility. The only question is if DE will be the best player available at the time. I think with the way the Rams roster is, the team could use help in a ton of positions, and we should just take whoever happens to be the best player. If its a DE, that would be great.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams take Suh in Round 1, I don't think I'd take another DL in Round 2.

If the Rams take a QB in Round 1, then I'd consider a DE in Round 2. Brandon Graham of Michigan is a guy who could be a good value there.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think with the way the Rams roster is, the team could use help in a ton of positions, and we should just take whoever happens to be the best player.
    The BPA in a position of need is the obvious selection, agreed. However, I think that if we do select one of the talented DEs in this draft, we'll be well on our way to having a very good young defence, with or without Suh.

It must be said that I'm not sold on any of the projected "second tier" QBs in this draft, so it's Clausen or nothing as far as that position goes.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Unless we take a QB in the first, or take a QB in FA then i would have to say it is BQBA in the second. On the other hand If we have a QB then i would rather have a good OLB, but i would be fine with a DE.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams take Suh in Round 1, I don't think I'd take another DL in Round 2.

If the Rams take a QB in Round 1, then I'd consider a DE in Round 2. Brandon Graham of Michigan is a guy who could be a good value there.
    I echo this sentiment. WHEN we take Suh, taking another D Lineman would be too much focus on one area while neglecting other important areas.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

We need to try to get LeFevour. I know that he's projected third round, but we need him second. He may not be there with our 3rd selection so we'd need to make a stretch and take him. Then third round we take either Danario Alexander or Mardy Gilyard. Amendola is a good return man, but we need somebody like Gilyard that can absolutely explode. He probably won't be available third round, so we should take Alexander, who teams aren't wanting for some reason due to injury risk.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i think we'll find a qb on the free agent market and will probably pick a developmental guy in rounds 3-5 or so if we can't trade down. i agree that a quality right end will be available to us at the top of round 2, and regardless of already picking suh i would be very happy with the decision. you build your team from the line out, this would give us a complete defensive line and we are getting there on the o-line.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be disappointed should the Rams select Suh with the firtst overall pick and follow that up with a DE in the second. DE is a serious need. I beleive that if that need is not addressed in this offseason that the Clan will be talking a great deal about the top DE prospects next season. They might anyhow.

But Rich, we can't take defensive players back to back! Yes we can. This team has a ways to go and getting the best talent you can shouldn't be subject to a conventional thought of being balanced with the picks offensively and defensively. BPA!

I also believe that a young vet will be brought in at QB and that possibly Bulger sticks around at least one more year. I believe that a #2 RB is more important at this moment for this teams scheme than another young WR. And I also believe that OLB should be a major priority, but one that can be addressed somewhere in the 4th round.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -01-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Semper Fi!

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I echo this sentiment. WHEN we take Suh, taking another D Lineman would be too much focus on one area while neglecting other important areas.
    But at the same time it starts in the trenches... We keep beefing up the defensive and offensive lines and all othre positions will develop. You protect the quarterback then the receivers have time to run routes. If you are able to get to the quarterback then the corners can jump routes and make INTs...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I personally think that we should draft suh in the first round. Pick up either Jason Campbell in FA or trade for Troy Smith. In the second round i would love to see Sean Weatherspoon, hes a beast(probably wont happen..)! Or maybe get RE Ray Edwards from FA and then trade your 2nd and 4th pick for a 1st and get Sean Weatherspoon immediatly.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i don't understand the notion that we can't pick 2 d-linemen in the first 2 rounds...why not? the d-line was bad this year and we're likely to lose little. people say random stuff like play carriker at right end, but how they figure that will work in a 4-3 defense is beyond me. the d-line is a big weakness, and a huge part of the team we want to build. if a guy like sean weatherspoon drops or a qb we really like is there i'm all for it, but we don't need to reach for a qb in round 2 any more than we do in the first round.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It's all up to what goes on in the near future. With rumors of Bulger's retirement, there is no doubt that QB will be consideration for the first two picks. However, Suh is such a beast you can't pass on him.

If we take a QB round one, I think we can go with just about any other position in round two. This is whats fun. Take a QB #1, we can play with other options.

Take Suh round one, and QB pretty much has to be the clear cut second pick. I like this option better though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!