Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ENN107 Guest

Second Round Pick, Buster Davis?

Florida State MLB Buster Davis is the next London Fletcher or Zach Taylor.
    Agreeor Disagree???

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Second Round Pick, Buster Davis?

No thanks. Its been quoted by Jim Haslett that Witherspoon is the MLB of the future and present.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He's my current projection (Carriker/B.Davis/J.L.Higgins) for the second round. I think he could be a very good SLB.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I really don't see how he fits as a SAM linebacker. His size is going to be a major factor in terms of not being able to fight through bigger blockers, jamming tight ends on the line, and covering them down field. He measured in at 5'9" at the Senior Bowl, which means he's giving up nearly a foot in height against NFC West tight ends Jerramy Stevens (6'7") and Leonard Pope (6'8").

At this point I'm not sure I understand why he'd be a good SAM linebacker. His best fit is probably as a two-down inside linebacker on a team that's going to use their defensive line to keep blockers off of him, or if he does move outside, to the weakside where he won't have to deal with covering or getting through the tight end.

I saw him play a couple of times this year and my impression was that it didn't matter where he lined up - he was all over the field making plays. He's the kind of guy I want on the Rams.

Country Guest

I would rather go with Pat Willis

1. Pat Willis
    2. DE LaMarr Woodley
    3. WR Craig Davis

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I saw him play a couple of times this year and my impression was that it didn't matter where he lined up - he was all over the field making plays. He's the kind of guy I want on the Rams.
    Well, I would think it does matter where he lines up though. Again, on the strong side he's going to deal with having to engage and shed tight ends and occasionally pulling linemen, which isn't a strength of his. And he's an instant mismatch covering a tight end because of his height. I'm not sure I see how his being all over the field in college is enough to make him a good fit on the strong side despite these rather significant disadvantages.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The guy is like a cannonball. He is short, but built like a DL player. He wouldnt be a good fit for the Rams though IMO

It is a bit ironic that you point to his height as a reason to stay away from him, Nick, given what a big proponent you were last year of drafting Tye Hill (who has to match up with taller receivers far more often than a SAM LB would have to).

Davis' height is a negative (heck, if he were 6'1 he'd probably be a top 20 pick), no doubt. I just think his positives outweigh them.

but for his position tye hill wasnt really short, where as 5'9 for a linebacker is quite small

Tye Hill is 5'9. That is on the short side for CBs.

Davis is 244 lbs, so he's not "small."

He is, at 5'9, on the short side, no doubt. So was the late Sam Mills who, at 5'9, was a five time Pro Bowl player.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Davis, while he is a playmaker in college I think at the next level his height will be an issue on the strong side. Keep in mind that Tye Hill has an outstanding vertical leap which helps him against some of the bigger receivers.

Tye Hill is 5'9. That is on the short side for CBs.

Davis is 244 lbs, so he's not "small."

He is, at 5'9, on the short side, no doubt. So was the late Sam Mills who, at 5'9, was a five time Pro Bowl player.
    if you look at the average heights fro linebackers and CB, then 5'9 at CB isnt as short as 5'9 at LB.
    Bob Sanders is only 5'8, and he is a pro bowler. But that doesnt mean every short guy can succeed. I think Davis will do well, but not for the Rams. He needs to be surrounded by big guys to make it work well, and we just dont have that.

It is a bit ironic that you point to his height as a reason to stay away from him, Nick, given what a big proponent you were last year of drafting Tye Hill (who has to match up with taller receivers far more often than a SAM LB would have to).
    Apples to oranges. One's playing against tight ends and the other against wide receivers. How many receivers in this league would Hill be yielding nearly a foot in height to? Few if any. As I pointed out already, Davis would be in that mismatch four times every year in the NFC West alone.

I also think it's pretty inaccurate to say that Hill has to match up with taller receivers more often than Davis would. There are plenty of receivers in the 5'9" to 6'0" range that Hill will play against. How many tight ends in this league are in the same 5'9" to 6'0" height range for Davis to match up against? IMO, Davis will consistently be faced with a much larger height difference matching up against tight ends than Hill will face matching up against receivers.

I can't say I see the validity of this comparison or the irony here at all.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-06-2007 at 03:03 PM.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

YA I WATCHED THAT FLORIDA VS.FLORIDA STATE GAME AND BUSTER DAVIS WAS ALL OVER THE FIELD. HE WAS AN ANIMAL!!!1 if hes there in the 2nd pick him up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast