Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Second Round Pick, Buster Davis?

We can just agree to disagree on that. In my mind, you draft Davis because he can help improve the weakest part of the defense. If he needs to come out on 3rd and long, fine. A lot of very good defenses do situational substitutions.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

UNDERSTAND MY POINTS

Haslett is crazy to think Witherspoon is a middle linebacker.

I love Witherspoon playing the weak side to cover tight ends and flow to the football. Pisa can play strong side he is a big body and can stop the run. Spoon is too athletic to be stuck in the middle getting run over. He is at his best playing the Will like he did in Carolina.

Buster Davis can improve the run defense that struggled all season long. He does not need to cover anybody. Park his brick frame in the middle and watch him knock some heads.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I agree with ENN here. I don't understand why Haslett is so set on WW51 playing MLB. In my opinion, with our weak run defense we should be looking to add size, especially in the MLB position. Move WW to the strong side and bring in a beast of a SAM... instant tenacious D.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ENN107 View Post
    I love Witherspoon playing the weak side to cover tight ends
    If he's on the weak side, then he's lining up on the opposite side of the tight end and would probably not be responsible for covering him.

Pisa can play strong side he is a big body and can stop the run.
    The last time Pisa played on the strong side, I believe he dislocated his shoulder something like eight times over the course of that season. He just finished this season with a number of other injuries. I don't think it's a great idea to put Pisa back at a position where he's going to experience more contact every week.

Buster Davis can improve the run defense that struggled all season long. He does not need to cover anybody. Park his brick frame in the middle and watch him knock some heads.
    All indications are that Haslett wants to keep Witherspoon inside. There are rumblings that Scott Linehan would also like to add size to the LB group. But for as talented as Davis is, I don't think he's the kind of guy you add when you want to get bigger at linebacker.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Okay... then who, among the players currently ranked to be available when the Rams select in the second round, would you prefer.

One guy I have on my radar as a possibility is Prescott Burgess from Michigan (though, I must admit, Prescott sounds like the name of an English butler, not an NFL LB).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay... then who, among the players currently ranked to be available when the Rams select in the second round, would you prefer.
    If we're talking about a MLB in round two, I'd probably be more inclined to go David Harris of Michigan.

But if we're talking about keeping Witherspoon in the middle, I'd go FSU's Lawrence Timmons in round one. Stewart Bradley in round three is an option at SAM as well. Prescott Burgess is an option but probably not until Day Two.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

UNDERSTAND MY POINTS

Haslett is crazy to think Witherspoon is a middle linebacker.

I love Witherspoon playing the weak side to cover tight ends and flow to the football. Pisa can play strong side he is a big body and can stop the run. Spoon is too athletic to be stuck in the middle getting run over. He is at his best playing the Will like he did in Carolina.

Ok first of all, haslett isn't crazy, he knows exactly what he's doing, if you don't like it, then get over it because he's not changing it for you, Spoon said he is ok with the move, haslett keeps him there, it will work out well.

Second of all, I didn't know that getting 120+ tackles in one season is getting run over? Spoon had much success at MLB last year, and because of that success, he is staying there.

Lastly, pisa on the strong side? Doesn't work out too well,
    Built RAM tough

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Just go back and look at the 1999 season Superbowl winning Rams. Look at the size of the guy in the middle. It was little London Fletcher. Now look at the size of the two guys playing directly in front of him. Ray Agnew and D'Marco Farr. Those guys were huge. Fletcher got run over on one play in the SB by Eddie George, but Fletcher came back and made stop after stop on defense, mainly because the two big guys up front were clearing a path for him straight to the RB. Thats what the Rams need.

Spoon will be fine at MLB, just give him the help he needs up front

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd have to agree that there has to be concern about having a 5'9" player cover a tight end. I'd figure the average pass-catching NFL TE is at least 6'4". He does sound like a good MLB prospect, but I'm not sure he'd be the best choice at SLB. Of course, sometimes it's worthwhile to draft the best player available. Whatever Haslett says now, his opinion may change depending on the personnel he has available.

Drew is offline Registered User

buster davis 5"9 trying to get past and cover leonard pope and vernon davis in four games a year between them,thats a nasty physical mis-match for us!

i like buster and size isn`t everything but...........no thanks!!!

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

I agree, if we get a linebacker we need to get some size into our LB corps. We need a big and fast defense ideally. I was hoping that we could get a LB in the first round (Timmons or Willis) and hope that Jarvis Moss drops to us in the draft. I am really high on that guy. If you didn't notice he had the Ohio St. O-line for breakfast in the national championship game.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Just go back and look at the 1999 season Superbowl winning Rams. Look at the size of the guy in the middle. It was little London Fletcher. Now look at the size of the two guys playing directly in front of him. Ray Agnew and D'Marco Farr. Those guys were huge. Fletcher got run over on one play in the SB by Eddie George, but Fletcher came back and made stop after stop on defense, mainly because the two big guys up front were clearing a path for him straight to the RB. Thats what the Rams need.

Spoon will be fine at MLB, just give him the help he needs up front
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12