Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Second Round Question

I'm participating in a mock draft on another board as the Rams' GM. I picked Jammal Brown in the first round, and my second round pick is coming up. Here's a brief summary of the best players still left at positions I'm considering, in no particular order...

TE: Alex Smith, Kevin Everett
    C: Everyone - no center has been drafted yet
    DE: Matt Roth and Demarcus Ware
    OLB: Rian Wallace
    ILB: Lance Mitchell, Barrett Rudd
    CB: Fabian Washington, Antonio Perkins
    S: Josh Bullocks, Oshiomogho Atogwe, James Butler

At this point, I'm thinking about going with Josh Bullocks. He's an excellent coverage safety who could be a starter at FS if Arch isn't up to the task, or part of the rotation now and a starter in the future.

My question is this though - assuming the Rams sign a veteran middle linebacker in free agency (Hartwell, Pierce, Bell, etc etc), if Lance Mitchell is still on the board, do you think we should take him at this point? Or go with Bullocks? Or go with someone else?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Second Round Question

You didn't list any guards. Is Baas still on the board?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

A lot of good picks there. Bullocks wouldn't be bad. From that list, I'd probably go with Ware and change him to OLB. But if any of the big guards (Baas, Brown, Johnson or Mankins) is available, that's the way I'd go.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

I won't criticize your 1st pick (not a J. Brown fan, but a safe pick). I doubt the Rams go 1-2 OL with the defensive holes. So that takes you to the D side of the ball. The best value here I think is Matt Roth... but I must admit had you drafted a DE or LB or CB (I like Marlin Jackson as he can switch between CB and FS, and Browner but I'm guessing he was already gone) on the first round I think one of the two TE's Alex Smith or Kevin Everett have the most upside. Of the LB's I like Rian Wallace the best as a rangy tough LB. Bullocks is a solid in 3rd round, I think a reach here at 2nd. Demarcus Ware is coming on fast but is more of a 3-4 LB than a 4-3 LB or 4-3 end. I think the Rams will sign a FA MLB so no need to go ILB here. Neither Washington or Perkins excite me at corner.

TE: Alex Smith, Kevin Everett
    C: Everyone - no center has been drafted yet
    DE: Matt Roth and Demarcus Ware
    OLB: Rian Wallace
    ILB: Lance Mitchell, Barrett Rudd
    CB: Fabian Washington, Antonio Perkins
    S: Josh Bullocks, Oshiomogho Atogwe, James Butler

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I know Perkins missed most of the season at OU,but he's a solid CB and A great return man. Could boost the Special teams . Its like 2 for the price of one !
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

One, Baas is not on the table. Nor is Brown. I think given the talent at guard, I wouldn't feel comfortable going OL in the first two rounds. For Baas or Brown I would have, but not Mankins or Johnson.

In terms of Ware as an OLB, I think he's like Merriman in that he's an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, where he can rush the passer more. I'm not sold on Wallace as a sure fire second rounder

Since the LB pool in free agency is stronger than the safety pool, I'm still tempted to go Bullocks here. He's the best free safety prospect after Brodney Pool and could be a starter this year or next depending on what shakes down with Arch. Worst case scenario is he could come in as a nickel or dime DB. Then I'd go guard and best defensive player available in round three.

I guess the problem is no one is really standing out from this list.

In terms of Ware as an OLB, I think he's like Merriman in that he's an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, where he can rush the passer more
    My answer is...great, let's go to a 3-4. But I digress. Ware is an OLB, and I know due to his pass rushing abilities, most will say he would be best suited to a 3-4, but I don't think he is limited to a 3-4. I believe he could be very effective as a strong-side OLB. There will be a learning curve when learning to cover, but he's athletic enough (as long as he's coachable) he could be a top notch 4-3 OLB.

Having said that, there wouldn't be anything wrong with taking Bullocks or even a TE like Everett.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

There are a lot of things that have me leaning towards Bullocks. One, we don't know if Arch is going to be able to make the transition to free safety and be able to play more zone coverage. Even if he does, he's only got a year left on his contract, and could be a free agent in 2006 depending on what our cap situation is looking like (if we cut Turley after June 1st this year, we'll have a pretty good hit to the cap in 2006, moreso if Faulk retires). We could resign Antuan Edwards, but he wasn't spectacular for us. I remember some dropped balls that he should have caught. He's certainly not worth spending a lot of money on. And then again, the safety crop of free agents isn't inspiring. I guess I have more faith in getting two starting linebackers in free agency than a safety there or Arch working out perfectly.

Hey Nick, You don't think Perkins would work for us. Could we use a good return man and a good corner?

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Hey Nick, You don't think Perkins would work for us. Could we use a good return man and a good corner?
    He's a great return man and a good corner who played on a great defense. I'm hesitant to take him in the second round, though.

But don't we need an upgrade at both spots, seems that is a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    He's a great return man and a good corner who played on a great defense. I'm hesitant to take him in the second round, though.
    There must have been quite a run on corners. I figured Rolle, Jones, & Miller would be gone, but of Browner, McFadden Jackson, Rogers & Webster, I thought one of them would be available at our 2nd spot.

Kinda like he was on a great Defense and was part of a puzzle but maybe not part of the Rams puzzle? in other words he was only as good as the defense as a whole and not a stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    There must have been quite a run on corners. I figured Rolle, Jones, & Miller would be gone, but of Browner, McFadden Jackson, Rogers & Webster, I thought one of them would be available at our 2nd spot.
    3. Cleveland Browns - Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami (Florida)
    15. Kansas City Chiefs - Adam 'Pac Man' Jones, CB, West Virginia
    24. Green Bay Packers - Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
    26. New York Jets - Brandon Browner, CB, Oregon State
    30. Pittsburgh Steelers - Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan
    32. New England Patriots - Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
    33. San Francisco ***** - Corey Webster, CB, Louisiana State
    44. Arizona Cardinals - Eric Green, CB, Virginia Tech
    47. Houston Texans - Bryant McFadden, CB, Florida State

Yeah.

Wow. Nine corners out of 47 picks, interesting to say the least, although I think your Green Bay friend reached for Rogers @ 24.

Hey Nick, do you mind posting the entire draft thus far...I know I'd be interested to see how it's going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast