Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Secret World of Alex Mack

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The Secret World of Alex Mack

Alex Mack is the best C on the market by far, but the Browns have slapped him with the transition tag. This means that the Browns can match any offer given to him, but there is no compensation rewarded. Also, gone are the days of the poison pill that led to Steve Hutchison leaving Seattle for Minnesota.

But still, even knowing that the Browns could match an offer sheet, would you pursue Alex Mack? I have seen a piece of PFT suggesting the Rams could be an option, due to Mack's agent Marvin Demoff being the father of the Rams own Kevin Demoff. Marvin also mentioned that he thinks he can structure an offer sheet in a way that the Browns wouldn't match

I for one would think the Rams might as well give it a shot. Try and sign Mack, and if the offer isn't matched, then cut Scott Wells.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Re: The Secret World of Alex Mack

I wouldn't mind seeing us making him an offer. Could shore up that Center position for a half decade if we can get him!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think if we had any intention to go after Alex Mack Scott Wells would already be released.

THE DREAM TEAM

I wouldn't be against it though. Imagine if we released Wells and then signed Geoff Schwartz and Alex Mack and also drafted Greg Robinson and slid him in at LG? Our line would be:

Long / Robinson / Mack / Schwartz / Barksdale

That would dominate every defensive front in the league.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think if we had any intention to go after Alex Mack Scott Wells would already be released.
    Why would they release Wells before signing Mack? What if Mack didn't sign?
    FestusRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If the Rams had that little faith in Wells he'd be gone. It's not like Madden where you have an 80 overall center and try to get a 90. Either you need an upgrade or you don't.. And if the Rams felt Wells was not a good enough option at C he'd be gone and we'd be on the market not just for Alex Mack but several other centers throughout FA and the draft.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I don't think they would. I don't think Wells will be going anywhere soon and will be asked to take a pay cut during camp.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting twist on the transition tag put on Mack --

Alex Mack's agent: Browns can't match all offers

By Kevin Patra
    Around the League writer
    Published: March 11, 2014 at 08:39 a.m.

After Alex Mack was slapped with the seldom used transition tag, his agent had to sit out the thrilling weekend of speculation and theory.

The transition tag allows any team to negotiate with the top center on the market (once free agency opens Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET), but it also allows the Cleveland Browns an opportunity to match the offer.

It has been widely speculated that the Browns will go out of their way to hang onto their Pro Bowl center, who hasn't missed a snap in five years.

Mack's agent, Marvin Demoff, told TheMMQB.com's Peter King that he believes he could craft a contract that would be tough for the Browns to match.

"I'm confident we can come up with a structure that would have a reasonable likelihood to not be matched by the Browns -- and would be in full compliance with the collective bargaining agreement," Demoff said Monday night.

The once used "poison pill," in which teams would create a contract that the tagging team couldn't match (one of the more recent being guard Steve Hutchinson's in 2006), has been dashed by the current CBA.

While the possibility exists that Demoff could construct a contract that would scare Cleveland, the question is would any team want to pay the amount of money that would prohibit the Browns from matching? The durable Mack also could play under the $10 million tag in 2014 and hit the market again next season, when the salary cap is expected to jump once again.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

If he is a good player, and be had for a reasonable contract for both sides I be for it. I am, however, not big on the idea of getting someone cause of family ties between owner and agent. Too Mobish for my liking :-)

Sometimes coaches or management tend to take so much from their previous team they try to turn their new team into a version of the old one instead of making the best, fresh mold of clay team. Spagnolo did it so bad people started calling us The St. Louis Giants.

Fisher seems smart about it, although Finnegan didn't pan out, and seems to be on the way out, not sure that was Fisher's fault. He did get T Johnson cause Fish's son I believe mentioned hey look at this kid.

Long winded rant short, get the best player for our team regardless of Ties. If Mack is it go for it, but not at the expense of getting a better player, Byrd or Schwartz.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams had that little faith in Wells he'd be gone. It's not like Madden where you have an 80 overall center and try to get a 90. Either you need an upgrade or you don't.. And if the Rams felt Wells was not a good enough option at C he'd be gone and we'd be on the market not just for Alex Mack but several other centers throughout FA and the draft.
    That little faith? There's a big gap between having "that little faith" in someone and acquiring a top 3 C in the league.

No, it would be rather disappointing if the front office were to cut a starter merely to make a run at another. You simply don't create a hole in the hopes of filling it later. If they attempt to sign Mack and are successful, then and only then, should they release Wells.
    FestusRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    I am, however, not big on the idea of getting someone cause of family ties between owner and agent. Too Mobish for my liking :-)
    It wouldn't be the first time for the Rams. Marvin Demoff is also Jeff Fisher's agent. BTW, Kevin Demoff is the Rams COO, not the owner.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Meant to say senior management and agent.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

the difference between Scott Wells and Alex Mack is big. Through ability, age and injury history.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

By that argument it means the Rams aren't drafting an OT because Barksdale is still on the roster?

Unspoken is offline Registered User

What about David Baas? The Giants just released him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast