• 1 Post By Tampa_Ram
  • 1 Post By chiguy
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By punahou
  • 1 Post By punahou

Thread: Senior Bowl Rams Mock

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Senior Bowl Rams Mock

1 - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: I stick at #2 here and take the best prospect in the draft. Clowney is going to be one hell of a player and lining him up across the best DE in the league in Quinn can only be beneficial. He can learn behind Long and Quinn this year playing more of a hybrid role stepping in next year as a true starter.

*Trade: Rams trade #13 pick to the Green Bay Packers and slide down to #21. The Packers need some help on the offensive line and see one of the extra OT's sliding so they pounce on their guy. The Rams also receive the Packers second round pick, and next year's 3rd round pick.

1 - Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt: I believe it was my first mock of this season I mocked Donald to the Rams (I slid him in 1 mock). Donald is a little undersized for a DT but is the best DT in this class. He has a special first step and amazing ability to use his hands. He is so good at pass rushing he has actually embarrassed multiple players at this weeks Senior Bowl. He's made the consensus top OG (Cyril Richardson) look like a 5th rounder. Donald is drawing comparisons to Geno Atkins who is currently the best DT in the league.

2 - Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame: Zack Martin is an impressive LT from Notre Dame. He has short arms as measured at the Senior Bowl this week and that has caused some teams to switch him to OG. He has stonewalled guys all over the place and may actually be the 2nd or 3rd best OT in this draft. He has great versatility and can come in and step in at LT, RT, or either OG spot for us next year. Great value pick at this spot.

2 - LaMarcus Joyner, S, Florida State: Joyner is also a little undersized like Donald at 5'8 but he plays like he's 6'3. He is an absolute missile coming down from his spot. He LOVES to hit. You will always see him getting involved in hits and group tackles. He's got great speed and even more importantly he's got amazing closing speed. He is going to be an excellent Safety at the NFL level. He can also play slot CB.

3 - Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers: Coleman comes in at 6'6 and 220 lbs. Coleman was criminally underused in Rutgers offense, not to mention their QB was near garbage. Brandon can be a special player in the league as he has great leaping ability and can use his large hands and body to shield defenders from passes and jump balls. If Coleman can get some coaching in his development he is going to be a stud. He offers something we don't have at the WR position, size.

4 - Keith McGill, CB, Utah: McGill is a very large CB at 6'3. He gives us some much needed height at the position as well as playing up close and personal. He has excellent ball skills as well. He has long arms too so he is very good at going up on high passes and finding the ball. McGill can battle for a starting spot, as well as the idea of JJ moving in to the slot on 3rd downs.

5 - De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon: I do believe Thomas slips because of his miniscule size and the struggle the Rams had with Tavon Austin at the NFL level. Thomas finally gives our offense another dimension as he will line up in the backfield but he can come out and catch passes, as well as be an electrifying KR and PR. Thomas will have a role in this offense as a pass catching weapon.

6 - Logan Thomas, QB, VATech: If there is going to be any player worth "wasting" a draft pick on it's Logan Thomas. He checks in at 6'6 and 250 lbs. If you hand built a QB he would look like Thomas. He has tremendous speed and power too. Thomas is very raw as a passer as he needs help with his feet and body positioning. He can absolutely rip the ball but is very inconsistent and needs help in that regard. Thomas is an excellent developmental project.

7 - Ryan Groy, OG, Wisonconsin: Why not spend a pick on a OG from Wisconsin who has produced several excellent interior lineman? Groy is a big guy at 6'5 and 325 lbs.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Senior Bowl Rams Mock

Though i'd like to trade down from #2, grabbing arguably the top prospect in the draft is never a bad thing. I like this draft, covers all our needs for the most part. Would have liked to grab an OT earlier, but with Martin, he can start inside for a couple years at LG and help give us an amazing line. Good mock my friend
    sosa39rams likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't think Clowney makes any sense to us, but I'll play along for a minute. Accepting that, I like the mock with one exception -- we don't need any more WRs that aren't *clearly* fill that first WR role. The odds of finding that in any round other than the first is remote. So, I'd not make that pick, I'd look for a cornerback earlier, and look for another guard.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I don't think Clowney makes any sense to us, but I'll play along for a minute. Accepting that, I like the mock with one exception -- we don't need any more WRs that aren't *clearly* fill that first WR role. The odds of finding that in any round other than the first is remote. So, I'd not make that pick, I'd look for a cornerback earlier, and look for another guard.
    I disagree. There are plenty of WR's who come after round 1 and can be "that guy". Look no further than last years 3rd round pick from the Chargers - Keenan Allen, who is their #1.

Skills transfer, not draft status. The reason I'm adding Coleman is because he is a huge target that can be a true threat in the air and in the red zone, unlike Brian Quick who has no idea how to use his size and is under-utilized in the red zone. Outside of Quick, I have basically no hope for Pettis or Givens developing into anything, leaving us with only Austin and Bailey, and banking on two WR's who are both under 6'0 and one being a gadget player is just asking to fail. Now Coleman wont change that all alone, but he's just another piece to the puzzle as he offers something our WR corps lacks. Plus, if he can develop his route running ability, he can be a great WR.
    richtree likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

punahou is offline Registered User

3 - Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers: Coleman comes in at 6'6 and 220 lbs. Coleman was criminally underused in Rutgers offense, not to mention their QB was near garbage. Brandon can be a special player in the league as he has great leaping ability and can use his large hands and body to shield defenders from passes and jump balls. If Coleman can get some coaching in his development he is going to be a stud. He offers something we don't have at the WR position, size.

Id be ecstatic to get Coleman here-- however, unless he has a blaise combine, I dont think he will slide this far, and if he did; our overtly creative braintrust will take incoming Butler Freshman WR Cory Ester....

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I disagree. There are plenty of WR's who come after round 1 and can be "that guy". Look no further than last years 3rd round pick from the Chargers - Keenan Allen, who is their #1.

Skills transfer, not draft status. The reason I'm adding Coleman is because he is a huge target that can be a true threat in the air and in the red zone, unlike Brian Quick who has no idea how to use his size and is under-utilized in the red zone. Outside of Quick, I have basically no hope for Pettis or Givens developing into anything, leaving us with only Austin and Bailey, and banking on two WR's who are both under 6'0 and one being a gadget player is just asking to fail. Now Coleman wont change that all alone, but he's just another piece to the puzzle as he offers something our WR corps lacks. Plus, if he can develop his route running ability, he can be a great WR.

Allen was a 1st round talent as he demonstrated in College; but was product of BS combine fluff and his 'medical' concerns with his knee.
    He also has Philip Rivers throwing to him-- who, irregardless of what some may say, has the ability to MAKE WRs GOOD AND BETTER, IE Danario Alexander is a great case to point out
    ManofGod and Vinnie25 like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

While I enjoy and appreciate mock drafts of all shapes and sizes, this mock doesn't really do it for me, though that's more due to personal preference than anything.

I think the trade fleeces Green Bay a bit, but that's because I still put value in the Trade Value Chart. But according to the chart, there's little reason for the Packers to include a future third when the deal balances well for just their second.

I think it's clear how I feel about drafting Clowney second overall, so I won't spend a lot of time on that one. Having said that, while I like Donald and I think a trade down from #13 is possible, I think going DL two picks in a row in Round One is very much overkill at arguably the Rams' strongest unit and does not sit particularly well with me personally.

Zach Martin in the mid-second round is likely wishful thinking at this point. He's really impressed at the Senior Bowl, and now ranks in the Top 20 on both CBS Sports and ESPN's big board. He was pick #29 in my last mock. I don't see him escaping the Top 40 at this point. Too many OL needy teams for him to drop that far.

LaMarcus Joyner could be a good defensive weapon, but I think he ultimately spends more time as a nickel corner than he does at safety, so I don't think he really solves our need there. Additionally, if Joyner does play a lot of nickel corner, it would seem to make the McGill selection more of a luxury.

Coleman is a favorite of yours, so it's no surprise to see him here. He's a solid Day Two selection if available. Thomas seems rather unnecessary to me due to Austin's presence on the team. Whatever touches Thomas would get could/should conceivably go to Austin instead. Opinions are super varied on Logan Thomas, but I think his physical skillset gets him drafted earlier than the sixth.

No qualms with Clowney pick atm-- and though I do like Coleman, Id like to see a #1 WR taken in rd 1 instead of a DT. Our offense is not that good, and fortifying our DL with our 2 1st round picks seems overtly redundant.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    No qualms with Clowney pick atm-- and though I do like Coleman, Id like to see a #1 WR taken in rd 1 instead of a DT. Our offense is not that good, and fortifying our DL with our 2 1st round picks seems overtly redundant.
    That's fair. Most likely what I'd want to actually happen is that we slide down from #2 to say #4 and we can grab their #34 (I believe) that way we can spend one of those picks on a earlier WR.

THE DREAM TEAM

I disagree. There are plenty of WR's who come after round 1 and can be "that guy"...Skills transfer, not draft status.
    Look at the numbers, the probably of finding a Pro Bowler-quality WR drops starkly after each draft round. For every Colston, there are far many more Gilyards. That means if you're looking for a true #1, the odds of finding them (which is low to begin with) is much smaller outside of the first round. That represents a risk to the Rams relative to value. That's one position where we don't need more risk because we already took those "hope" players (Quick, Givens). My argument is simple -- we don't need more players like that at that position.

And I'm not an idiot…I know draft spot is not the same as skills. But, I think the experts (the people who do this for a living; not the Maycocks, but the GMs) generally get it right. If someone ends up in the third round, there are generally good reasons. That generally means that there is something missing in their skills, personality, or athletic ability. So if we think a WR is a "third rounder" and that seems backed up by evaluations from experts, then that implies that there is something "missing." That means there is more "risk" of the player not being a all pro. We already have those kind of players on the roster; how does more of them make sense? I get YOU like the guy, but I don't trust your evaluation over other people who get money to do it for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Look at the numbers, the probably of finding a Pro Bowler-quality WR drops starkly after each draft round. For every Colston, there are far many more Gilyards. That means if you're looking for a true #1, the odds of finding them (which is low to begin with) is much smaller outside of the first round. That represents a risk to the Rams relative to value. That's one position where we don't need more risk because we already took those "hope" players (Quick, Givens). My argument is simple -- we don't need more players like that at that position.

And I'm not an idiot…I know draft spot is not the same as skills. But, I think the experts (the people who do this for a living; not the Maycocks, but the GMs) generally get it right. If someone ends up in the third round, there are generally good reasons. That generally means that there is something missing in their skills, personality, or athletic ability. So if we think a WR is a "third rounder" and that seems backed up by evaluations from experts, then that implies that there is something "missing." That means there is more "risk" of the player not being a all pro. We already have those kind of players on the roster; how does more of them make sense? I get YOU like the guy, but I don't trust your evaluation over other people who get money to do it for a living.
    Well, when you can show me a TRUE evaluation of a GM on any player in the draft that's when I'll stop. The reality is unless you are in a draft room you have NO idea what any GM thinks of any player, and that's the plain truth. There are plenty of reasons a player can slip, and just like Keenan Allen, Brandon Coleman suffered BIG time from his QB play.

Every player in the draft is a "hope" so I have no idea what you're referring to there. If you take a guy #1 you still have to put just as much work into developing him as you do for a 3rd or even a 7th rounder. If we all thought that "there is so much risk in not being an all pro" then why even have more than 1 or 2 rounds in the draft?

You take guys because you believe you have a strong support system as well as a coaching staff that can develop talent. That is why the Rams spent a premium on a raw guy like Brian Quick - Coleman not being nearly as raw as Quick was.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

To start, I'll say that, if the Rams could get Martin, Coleman, McGill and Groy at the spots you've projected, I'd be pretty psyched. I also like Joyner, though I do agree with Nick that he might make a better nickel CB than S.

What I don't like is the notion of using two first round picks on DL. Right now, the DL is the Rams' strongest and deepest unit. With your picks, they would be four deep at DE (Long, Quinn, Hayes, Clowney) and three deep at DT (Langford, Brockers, Donald). I don't think that's a luxury the Rams can afford given the lack of depth at other spots, particularly the DB.

Every player in the draft is a "hope" so I have no idea what you're referring to there. If you take a guy #1 you still have to put just as much work into developing him as you do for a 3rd or even a 7th rounder. If we all thought that "there is so much risk in not being an all pro" then why even have more than 1 or 2 rounds in the draft?
    Suffice it to say, I don't have time to explain probability theory to you, but the principle is simple--the later in the draft, the less likely you will be a high level player. Given what we KNOW about the guys on the roster, we already plenty of spare parts and Austin. Why draft someone with a low probability of being what we need? Bottom line--unless its a elite prospect, you're more likely to Greg Salas than a #1 WR. Given that we have depth needs elsewhere, I don't see the logic of taking the chance that is unlikely to do anything except replace Quick or Pettis…what would that really do for the team?