AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Sergio Kindle: Injury Red Flag?

Just found this interesting article:

Sergio Kindle probably skipped in first round because of injury

12:54 AM Fri, Apr 23, 2010
    Laken Litman/Texas Special Contributor

Rivals.com reported before the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday that former Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle might not be picked until later rounds because of a knee injury he sustained at one point this season. Teams see him as a "serious" medical risk because of his knee, which one team said looks like it could require microfracture surgery.

The injury didn't seem to pose any problems during the BCS national championship game, however, where he posted 2.5 sacks.

Microfracture is a surgery to create cartilage in the knee when it becomes a bone-on-bone situation. It's a surgery athletes tend to have near the end of their careers, not the beginning.

Rivals.com said that Kindle's medical exams showed a series of trauma on the knee that could limit his career.

Athletes have played through injuries such as this one, but it is still something NFL teams need to evaluate before drafting someone.

Rumor has it that New England is interested in Kindle, so we'll see if they come around in the second round Friday.
    If this report is accurate, I'd probably take him off my board.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Sergio Kindle: Injury Red Flag?

I just saw this too, and would have to take a good look at him medically before making him my pick. Maybe we can grab him in the mid 4th after another trade down tomorrow?
    Last edited by TekeRam; -04-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    I believe!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It is accurate. He played with it all season and the kid is special. As a HS footballer in Texas he was voted MVP both offense and defense. Never happened in this state before. He is a monster on the field but when it comes to this amount of money in the NFL, that is a major consideration.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Well i just took him off my board, no way in hellfire can i take him at 33 now, and i don't see the Rams doing it either, its a shame ebcause he was under real consideration, explains the fall clearly now.

I couldn't take him before the 5th now..
    Bone on bone is UGLY, especially so young.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So not an ideal fit for our scheme, has some previous incidents that may not gel with the Four Pillars, and has an injury red flag to boot.

I'm going to stick with a "pass."

shower beers is offline Registered User

Not to mention that he probably wasn't on our radar at all, thus a good possibility that we haven't checked him out medically at all.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I wasnt really interested in him anyway, but now that this has been brought out I think we can be sure that spags pass's on him.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The injury is the same as Jermaine Gresham's. If surgery is required, he'll be out all of 2010 but there is a good chance he'll be fine without surgery. Even if he has the surgery, he's still considered a premier talent. I don't understand why he's considered to be not a fit for the Rams. The only reason he's considered an OLB in the 3-4 instead of a 4-3 OLB is that he's so great at blitzing. Man, I'd hate the Rams to have a guy like that.

Browns5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I just saw this too, and would have to take a good look at him medically before making him my pick. Maybe we can grab him in the mid 4th after another trade down tomorrow?

LOL be realistic

harrydog is offline Registered User

That's really a shame. I think as a Ram he would have done well as a pass rusher in the mold of Leonard Little.
    I'd really like to get a pass rusher with this pick. I know the Rams had Everson Griffen in for a workout and apparently like him but his lack of consistency and questionable passion for the game give me pause.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    The injury is the same as Jermaine Gresham's. If surgery is required, he'll be out all of 2010 but there is a good chance he'll be fine without surgery. Even if he has the surgery, he's still considered a premier talent. I don't understand why he's considered to be not a fit for the Rams. The only reason he's considered an OLB in the 3-4 instead of a 4-3 OLB is that he's so great at blitzing. Man, I'd hate the Rams to have a guy like that.
    He apparently sucks in coverage as well and has more of a learning curve in the 4-3. With that injury i can still draft him, but itd have to be a fifth round flyer at this point, at which point he'll be gone.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He doesn't suck in coverage, not sure what UT game you were watching this year. He is average in coverage, I'll give you that. He played very well with the injury this year, actually didn't bother him on the field.

His off the field issues were two years ago. Not a peep from him since then. He's a big hitter and would go very well next to JLau. That would be the making of a very formidable LB corp.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-23-2010 at 03:30 PM.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    He doesn't suck in coverage, not sure what UT game you were watching this year. He is average in coverage, I'll give you that. He played very well with the injury this year, actually didn't bother him on the field.

His off the field issues were two years ago. Not a peep from him since then. He's average in coverage I'll give you that. He's a big hitter and would go very well next to JLau. That would be the making of a very formidable LB corp.
    From what I've read he's apparently matured since his brush with the law 2 years ago. Keep in mind that Little had a worse "mishap" and was still an effective and respected member of the team after that.
    I personally thought Kindle's best position would have been DE if he added some weight, which some thought he could easily do.