Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Serious Bust Potential

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Serious Bust Potential

Always kind of fun to do this - Let's take a walk through Rob Rang's 1st round mock draft and reasons why some of these could be busts.

1. Javeon Clowney - Work ethic alone

3. Johnny Football - Got a little bit of Magic Johnson, Joe Namath and Russell Wilson in him, but I also think a substantial chance for a bust due to gunslinger mentality. Will need to get much more disciplined if he will make it in the NFL.

4. Blake Bortles - Another "Prototypical NFL QB" who someone will reach for. Who has he ever played against that gives us any idea of what he will be ?

5. Teddy Bridgewater - Ditto #4.

7. Sammy Watkins - How many WRs have seen drafted in the top 10 over the years that have done nothing ? This position is nearly always a reach. Calvin Johnson one of the exceptions.

8. Derek Carr - Ditto from #5 and #4

13. Marquis Lee - Is he even strong enough to get off the line ?

17. Mike Evans - Can he get open in the NFL ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Serious Bust Potential

1. People are being influenced by media too much. When someone who matters tells me Jadeveon doesn't care then I'll believe it. The guy was a guaranteed top 5 pick why on earth would he go all out last year?
    2. Immaturity may be the reason he fails.
    3. Fair opinion on Bortles.
    4. Some of the draft guys have Bridgewater > Bradford coming out. Teddy is an excellent prospect.
    5. Sammy is another great prospect. The prior has nothing to do with his success or failure.
    6. Carr has fair concerns.
    7. There have been plenty of weaker WR's who have found success. Motion, slot, flanker.... Plenty of ways to help "weak" WR's.
    8. Yes, yes he can. Luckily, he doesn't need as much separation as he is 6'5, has 35" arms, and has a 37" vert.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    1. People are being influenced by media too much. When someone who matters tells me Jadeveon doesn't care then I'll believe it. The guy was a guaranteed top 5 pick why on earth would he go all out last year?
    I will believe it when he slips to the bottom half of the first round. No team would risk a high draft pick without doing their due diligence first.

I have to say Mike Mayock has been unfair to this kid with some of his comments today.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    2. Immaturity may be the reason he fails.
    3. Fair opinion on Bortles.
    4. Some of the draft guys have Bridgewater > Bradford coming out. Teddy is an excellent prospect.
    5. Sammy is another great prospect. The prior has nothing to do with his success or failure.
    6. Carr has fair concerns.
    7. There have been plenty of weaker WR's who have found success. Motion, slot, flanker.... Plenty of ways to help "weak" WR's.
    8. Yes, yes he can. Luckily, he doesn't need as much separation as he is 6'5, has 35" arms, and has a 37" vert.
    Couldn't have said it any better than this ^^^
    sosa39rams likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont agree with the comment "the guy was a guaranteed top 5 pick, why on earth would he go all out last year." In evaluating whether someone is going to be a great pro, and especially in the context of a potential top round 1 pick, i want to guy that is going to go all out all the time, not just when its in personal interest to do so. I am not saying clowney wont do that, but i am saying that if you believe that he didnt go all out last year, that would be a concern to me. Lets say your team is out of the game or out of the playoff hunt, "why should he go all out?" He just got a big contract, why should he go all out? Top 5 pick or not, how about wanting to improve to become the best player he could be?

Being a professional in anything is about giving your best effort all the time, not giving your best effort when its only in your personal interest to do so. Thats also called maturity.

If the rams dont believe that clowney is prepared to go all out all the time, they should pass, and i would say the same thing about any other prospect.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont agree with the comment "the guy was a guaranteed top 5 pick, why on earth would he go all out last year." In evaluating whether someone is going to be a great pro, and especially in the context of a potential top round 1 pick, i want to guy that is going to go all out all the time, not just when its in personal interest to do so. I am not saying clowney wont do that, but i am saying that if you believe that he didnt go all out last year, that would be a concern to me. Lets say your team is out of the game or out of the playoff hunt, "why should he go all out?" He just got a big contract, why should he go all out? Top 5 pick or not, how about wanting to improve to become the best player he could be?

Being a professional in anything is about giving your best effort all the time, not giving your best effort when its only in your personal interest to do so. Thats also called maturity.

If the rams dont believe that clowney is prepared to go all out all the time, they should pass, and i would say the same thing about any other prospect.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    All good points but here is what bothers me with Mike Mayock. He said Clowney has Red Flags all over and he scared to death to take him. He trust Sammy Watkins more with a huge contract. He left out the fact that Sammy Watkins was arrested for controlled substance.

Like I said no team will spend a top pick without making sure he loves football.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The thing about it GC, is he wasn't a professional at that point, but rather protecting himself as to ensure himself of becoming a professional, IMO.

Completely reasonable IMO, when you consider things that we have no idea about, like his financial situation. Especially after seeing Marcus Lattimore carted off the field after one of the most horrifc injuries I've ever seen on a football field.

Of course he's a bit immature, what 20 or 21 year old isn't?

I just think far too much is being made of this.

Bottom line is this, if he blows up the combine like he's said he would, he'll be a top 3 pick in spite of all this noise about his work ethic.
    Rambos and Vinnie25 like this.

I hear you fortuninerhater, but i dont think its very easy to turn into a professional overnight. I dont see it as an on off switch. The key is acting like a professional in your chosen craft before you even become one. Sure, everyone that age can use additional maturity, but if you dont try your best because you dont think that there is anything in it for you personally, that, in my book, is a red flag. I see this all the time in business when we are evaluating kids coming out of school.

I agree that too much is being made of this and its up to each individual team to draw the conclusions on the interview, and i will back fisher either way, i was only making the point regarding the statement that why should he go all out when he knew he was going to be a top five pick. Too many problematic issues for me with that type of thinking, if that is what clowney was thinking, and none of us know if that was really the case. The me first mentality doesnt work at all for me and i am NOT saying that is what clowney thinks or thought, again, only responding to the comment because there are plenty of people in pro sports and business who are a lot more concerned with their own personal situation (money, credit etc) than with whether the team wins and i have found that those types of people are not good to have in your organization.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

One other point on this topic. While i agree with the point regarding Mayock, i would also note that i dont believe that a single thing that comes out of mayocks mouth has anything to do with where any team drafts any player. This is about the fans having stuff to talk about and guys like us moving teams up and down their mock drafts Teams make their own evaluations, they dont do it based on what mayock thinks or says.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Concerns about Clowney's work ethic are legitimate. I feel we've heard from enough sources for the book to basically be closed on that one. Clowney had a chance to put some of that talk to rest today on the bench, but only put up 21 reps after saying earlier this month he hoped to hit 25 reps.

Does this prove he won't succeed at the NFL level? No, that's silly. Does it mean he won't be drafted high? Of course not, he'll be a Top 3-5 pick. But I just don't know why his supporters are so afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses or that there is a chink in the armor. It's as if any time something negative is said about the guy, a defense team swoops in to shut it down. You still can think highly of him in spite of any areas of concern.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Fixing incorrect word
    HUbison and chiguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Concerns about Clowney's work ethic are legitimate. I feel we've heard from enough sources for the book to basically be closed on that one. Clowney had a chance to put some of that talk to rest today on the bench, but only put up 21 reps after saying earlier this month he hoped to hit 25 reps.

Does this prove he won't succeed at the NFL level? No, that's silly. Does it mean he won't be drafted high? Of course not, he'll be a Top 3-5 pick. But I just don't know why his supporters are so afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses or that there is a chink in the armor. It's as if any time something negative is said about the guy, a defense team swoops in to shut it down. You still can't think highly of him in spite of any areas of concern.
    Rob Rang wrote this yesterday before he benched.

By Rob Rang

A more important test for Clowney will be the bench press, which not only tests upper body strength but endurance. Given the questions surrounding Clowney's work ethic and commitment, his results in this test could play a real role in where he is ultimately drafted.

Clowney won't dominate in this test the way he might in others. Frankly, considering his arm length, finishing middle-of-the-pack (among defensive ends) would be fine. Similarly built defenders like Julius Peppers (6-6, 283), Jason Pierre-Paul (6-5, 270) and Robert Quinn (6-4, 265) posted 24, 19 and 22 reps, respectively and obviously they've enjoyed plenty of success in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Rob Rang wrote this yesterday before he benched.
    You're essentially proving my point.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Does this prove he won't succeed at the NFL level? No, that's silly. Does it mean he won't be drafted high? Of course not, he'll be a Top 3-5 pick. But I just don't know why his supporters are so afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses or that there is a chink in the armor. It's as if any time something negative is said about the guy, a defense team swoops in to shut it down. You still can't think highly of him in spite of any areas of concern.
    Afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses?

OK I'll bite.

First of all, I don't see his work ethic as a weakness. Maybe it's not as strong as some of his abilities on the field, but his coach said he was Ok to pretty good in that area. I take that to mean he does what is expected of him and maybe a little more. Is he Jerry Rice in that area? No, and there's very few who are.

As for a chink in the armour, I'll acknowledge that for every prospect in any and every draft.

Clowney is human, last I checked, so there is one for him too.

That being said, there is nothing that's been said about Clowney to this point, that has caused me rethink taking him at number 2, if he's available, and we can not trade down.

And to the point of him putting any talk to rest with his bench press, I totally disagree with that. The media won't let this rest until after he's drafted number 1, 2, or 3, and some won't let go even after that.

Futhermore, 21 reps for a guy with long arms is more impressive than 24 reps for a guy with short arms. Particularly when that guy is at least 40 lbs bigger.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.

You're essentially proving my point.
    How so?

Similarly built defenders like Julius Peppers (6-6, 283), Jason Pierre-Paul (6-5, 270) and Robert Quinn (6-4, 265) posted 24, 19 and 22 reps, respectively and obviously they've enjoyed plenty of success in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses?

OK I'll bite.
    And you essentially proved my point as well, considering the only weakness you admitted he had in your response is that... he's human.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How so?
    Because I said something negative about Clowney, and you swooped in to defend him, reinforcing the point from my second paragraph.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast