Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Serious Bust Potential

  1. #31
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There are plenty of examples of players who had extraordinary tools but, due to a lack of work ethic, failed to meet their potential.

    So, no matter how superior Clowney's athletic abilties might be (and I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that he is an elite athlete), there is reason for concern when reports emerge (I think the most troubling one is Spurrier's comments) that he does not always give 100%.

    At the end of the day, give me a London Fletcher over a Lavar Arrington any day of the week, and thrice on Sunday (or Monday or Thursday night).
    Unfortunately for any of his critics, none of those reports surfaced until after the Lattimore injury. Nor do any of these reports pre date his dominant first two seasons and him becoming a household name. Never heard these rumblings while he was dominating his Freshman and Sophomore years.

    Therefore I conclude, that he was on cruise control this season, so as to not be a repeat of his former teammate (Lattiomore), which I have very little problem with, or his work ethic issues didn't matter.

    Either way, the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

    And that is, do you believe he will be the disruptive force he was prior to the Lattimore injury?

    At this point, given the circumstances, I have no reason to believe otherwise.


  2. #32
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,550
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    And that is, do you believe he will be the disruptive force he was prior to the Lattimore injury?
    Or will he revert back to his cruise control mode the first time he sees a teammate injured in the NFL?

    The world witnessed him go on cruise control the year before his 1st contract. Who's to say he won't do the same for his 2nd contract?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  3. #33
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Or will he revert back to his cruise control mode the first time he sees a teammate injured in the NFL?

    The world witnessed him go on cruise control the year before his 1st contract. Who's to say he won't do the same for his 2nd contract?
    Obviously, that would be stupid. Nobody slacks in a contract year on purpose.

  4. #34
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Obviously, that would be stupid. Nobody slacks in a contract year on purpose.
    Clowney did. Going into the draft is a contract year. You are playing for that NFL contract. The better you play, the better you get drafted, the better you get paid

  5. #35
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Clowney did. Going into the draft is a contract year. You are playing for that NFL contract. The better you play, the better you get drafted, the better you get paid
    I'd accept that from a novice poster here Tomahawk, but not you.

    I don't have to tell you that Jadaveon's draft status was basically made in his Freshman and Sophomore years.

    That's pretty much public knowledge.

  6. #36
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,550
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'd accept that from a novice poster here Tomahawk, but not you.

    I don't have to tell you that Jadaveon's draft status was basically made in his Freshman and Sophomore years.

    That's pretty much public knowledge.
    Your personal attack of tomahawk does not negate his point. Clowney did the very thing that you called "stupid". He played with fear and gave less than 100% for this past season. If this were a normal and accepted practice for top prospects each year, we wouldn't be talking about it. ESPN and NFL Network would not spend entire segments asking the question, "Does Clowney want to play football?" His work ethic wouldn't be a concern. Nobody would be asking his college coach about his practice effort.

    But the truth is we don't see this from other top prospects. We see it from him.

    To paraphrase Nick, you can still think of Clowney as a top prospect while asking the questions that need to be answered. And his work ethic is one that needs to be answered. Hopefully, for him, he fully convinced some team(s) at the Combine that his mind is right, and his less than top effort this past season is an anomaly.
    Nick likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #37
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Your personal attack of tomahawk does not negate his point. Clowney did the very thing that you called "stupid". He played with fear and gave less than 100% for this past season. If this were a normal and accepted practice for top prospects each year, we wouldn't be talking about it. ESPN and NFL Network would not spend entire segments asking the question, "Does Clowney want to play football?" His work ethic wouldn't be a concern. Nobody would be asking his college coach about his practice effort.

    But the truth is we don't see this from other top prospects. We see it from him.

    To paraphrase Nick, you can still think of Clowney as a top prospect while asking the questions that need to be answered. And his work ethic is one that needs to be answered. Hopefully, for him, he fully convinced some team(s) at the Combine that his mind is right, and his less than top effort this past season is an anomaly.
    First of all, I didn't attack anybody. Simply stated the obvious for all of us who've been paying attention.

    If you don't believe that what Clowney did was to protect his draft status and potential top rookie contract then that's your prerogative, but it is most certainly what I believe as I've stated constantly this offseason.

  8. #38
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,550
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    First of all, I didn't attack anybody. Simply stated the obvious for all of us who've been paying attention.
    ...he says before he then offers up another passive-aggressive barb.


    If you don't believe that what Clowney did was to protect his draft status and potential top rookie contract then that's your prerogative, but it is most certainly what I believe as I've stated constantly this offseason
    Actually, those of us who have concerns with Clowney are because we DO believe he lacked effort for the reason of protecting his status. Which leads to the very real concern that he will do it again in the future.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  9. #39
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,495
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Unfortunately for any of his critics, none of those reports surfaced until after the Lattimore injury. Nor do any of these reports pre date his dominant first two seasons and him becoming a household name. Never heard these rumblings while he was dominating his Freshman and Sophomore years.

    Therefore I conclude, that he was on cruise control this season, so as to not be a repeat of his former teammate (Lattiomore), which I have very little problem with, or his work ethic issues didn't matter.
    You are certainly entitled to that opinion, but you seem to think that your conclusion is the only one that is valid.

    I believe that there are players who, regardless of their situation, regardless of what may have happened to a teammate, and regardless of the promise of a future payday, play with only one speed: full throttle. If Clowney is not a player like that, I could see why some teams might prefer a 100% effort, 100% of the time, kind of guy.

  10. #40
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You are certainly entitled to that opinion, but you seem to think that your conclusion is the only one that is valid.

    I believe that there are players who, regardless of their situation, regardless of what may have happened to a teammate, and regardless of the promise of a future payday, play with only one speed: full throttle. If Clowney is not a player like that, I could see why some teams might prefer a 100% effort, 100% of the time, kind of guy.
    May not be the only one that's valid, but it is certainly the one that makes the most sense to me.

    I don't doubt that some teams may prefer players other than Clowney for whatever the reason, but they certainly won't be getting the best talent IMO.

  11. #41
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    ...he says before he then offers up another passive-aggressive barb.


    Actually, those of us who have concerns with Clowney are because we DO believe he lacked effort for the reason of protecting his status. Which leads to the very real concern that he will do it again in the future.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

    I guess I'm just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

  12. #42
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,550
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Serious Bust Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion.

    I guess I'm just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Certainly. And I would rather ask him the pertinent questions and simply remove the doubt.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Bulger or Bust?
    By TheRammer in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: -12-20-2009, 01:19 PM
  2. Which one of the following is not a bust?
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: -10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
  3. Is Hill the only Bust?
    By moloch41 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: -09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: -04-22-2007, 02:36 PM
  5. The Art Of The NFL Bust
    By OldRamsfan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -04-24-2006, 11:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •